Requirements for re-entering the US from Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There has been lots of discussion about the requirements for pleasure boaters entering Canada, but I have not seen anything about the requirements for US citizens re-entering the US from Canada.

Are their COVID test requirements?

Vaccination requirements?

No restrictions at all?

Are the rules different crossing by boat vs flying across?

And just to reiterate, I'm asking specifically about US citizens re-entering the US. I know there remain restrictions of non-US citizens entering.

Thanks

We went to Victoria, BC by car the first part of September(Labor Day Weekend). Nothing different about the return to the U.S. other than we wore masks. Same questions about where were you and what are you bringing back.

In bound to Canada was super easy by car and the only difference at the border is providing proof of a negative PCR test. Same questions otherwise about where are going and what are you bringing. I do recommend bringing a paper copy of your negative test to hand to the border agent so they can easily enter that in their system. You can show them your phone but it's just easier to give them a piece of paper.

Last edited:
I re-entered the US from BC on 9/13, after a summer in SE Alaska. Had my vaccinations last March. Did the Transit thing to go north through BC, but was able to enter and cruise BC normally on the way south, the only additional requirement being a negative Covid test within 72 hours of reporting into BC in Prince Rupert. Used the ArriveCAN app both ways.

Re-entering the US on the way south, I filled out the info requested by the CBPRoam app. I do not remember if it wanted to see proof of vaccination, which of course I had, but I think not. Once I submitted my data, a CBP agent reviewed it, then called me, asked a few questions, and started a video chat. He wanted to see my face, and look around the boat briefly. After a few minutes he gave me my approval number. Did this while underway, did not have to stop anywhere.

Thanks.

Has anyone flown into the US from Canada? Any requirement for test or vaccination status? We are vaccinated, no no issue there. I'm just trying to understand whether we need to get tested before boarding a flight back to the US.

I think that you have a legal right as a US citizen to return to your own country

I think that you have a legal right as a US citizen to return to your own country

That's what I've heard, but I think it's also possible for there to be conditions around that, like required quarantine. But I don't "think" there are any - just not certain because I haven't left the country for nearly two years at this point.

Kevin, rumors afoot saying that strong consideration is being given to US citizens must be vaxxed to re- enter - lots to think about here.

Peter, We cleared on September 16 when entering US from Canada. Roam only and an immediate email back providing ok and entry #. It worked the same in May when arriving Ketchikan.

Last edited:
I returned from Canada 9/7. I am Nexus and I have a BR number. Called in on my cell phone. Gave my BR number. The only question was What is your decal number. I recommend getting your decal before you go. With out that number they won’t clear you in.

Thanks.

Has anyone flown into the US from Canada? Any requirement for test or vaccination status? We are vaccinated, so no issue there. I'm just trying to understand whether we need to get tested before boarding a flight back to the US.

You need a negative covid test to fly into the US.

We returned on our boat from Alaska earlier this month and checked into Canada with vax proof and negative covid test required. We worked our way south to Campbell River, then flew home from there. Had to get a covid test in Vancouver airport to board the flight into the US. I just did it this past Sunday so the info is current.

You can get a test at the International terminal at YVR, but the time needed varies from 45 minutes to forever. We had a 3 hour layover at YVR and it was barely enough time to get it done. Sunday turns out to be a bad day since the alternative test centers are closed and the airport location is very busy. They were also understaffed so it was painfully slow. Sometimes they test at the south terminal but apparently not Sunday. For whatever reason they weren’t there when I passed through, so it wasn’t an option for us.

The test just needs to be no more than 72 hrs before your flight to the US, so it might be best to get one in advance if available where you are in Canada. Not that it changes anything, but tests in Ketchikan were free and the Vancouver airport tests are $129 each. You would think that would be incentive to them to get the max number of people done quickly, but that didn’t seem to be the case.

Just for the record, there is no vax needed to fly into the US, just the negative covid test within 72 hrs of your flight. Rules for entry by water or road are different.

We re-entered the US around end of August from B.C. Super easy using the ROAM app. They did ask us for our position (Lat, Long). They did not ask for vacc status.

Basically normal entry.

You need a negative covid test to fly into the US.

We returned on our boat from Alaska earlier this month and checked into Canada with vax proof and negative covid test required. We worked our way south to Campbell River, then flew home from there. Had to get a covid test in Vancouver airport to board the flight into the US. I just did it this past Sunday so the info is current.

You can get a test at the International terminal at YVR, but the time needed varies from 45 minutes to forever. We had a 3 hour layover at YVR and it was barely enough time to get it done. Sunday turns out to be a bad day since the alternative test centers are closed and the airport location is very busy. They were also understaffed so it was painfully slow. Sometimes they test at the south terminal but apparently not Sunday. For whatever reason they weren’t there when I passed through, so it wasn’t an option for us.

The test just needs to be no more than 72 hrs before your flight to the US, so it might be best to get one in advance if available where you are in Canada. Not that it changes anything, but tests in Ketchikan were free and the Vancouver airport tests are $129 each. You would think that would be incentive to them to get the max number of people done quickly, but that didn’t seem to be the case.

Thanks, very helpful. Do you know if it's a CPB requirement, or an airline requirement?

Two boats returning from Canada to USA. One is nexus one is not. Both boats used CBP Roam. Non nexus boat submitted request while one mile from reaching US waters. Nexus boat submitted request while 8 miles from US boarder. Both boats gave the same answers to the declaration questions. Nexus boat was cleared in less than 5 minutes with no phone interview. The non nexus boat was subjected to a phone interview, was read the riot act for submitting request while in Canadian waters and then was told they could not bring in frozen chickens that were bought in the USA because you can only bring in Canadian Chickens. In the end the non Nexus boat was cleared and was able to skip the que at the customs dock.

You are not going to convince me that Nexus doesn’t make a difference when it comes to crossing the boarders by boat.

Two boats returning from Canada to USA. One is nexus one is not. Both boats used CBP Roam. Non nexus boat submitted request while one mile from reaching US waters. Nexus boat submitted request while 8 miles from US boarder. Both boats gave the same answers to the declaration questions. Nexus boat was cleared in less than 5 minutes with no phone interview. The non nexus boat was subjected to a phone interview, was read the riot act for submitting request while in Canadian waters and then was told they could not bring in frozen chickens that were bought in the USA because you can only bring in Canadian Chickens. In the end the non Nexus boat was cleared and was able to skip the que at the customs dock.

You are not going to convince me that Nexus doesn’t make a difference when it comes to crossing the boarders by boat.

I tend to agree. I don't think Nexus is any magic bullet or guarantee of an easy entry, but it certainly makes you a more "known" entity, and more likely to get waved through. I think the biggest wild card with US customs is the mood and nature of the particular officer who you draw. Many seem very frustrated with life and want to take it out on anyone they can.

Back
Top Bottom