Changing the bow roller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Looking for info on changing the anchor roller and chute on a Mainship 430 to similar to a Mainship 400.

The 430 has the anchor coming up under the bow support, so you can't have an anchor with a roll bar.

The 400 has the anchor open so when up, you see the whole anchor, not hidden under the chute, so easy to use a Rocna with the roll bar.

Seems rather easy, but would like to see if other folks have done this, and have ideas.

Thinking of just using the same roller, and adding a stainless "U" shaped support to support it.

Ideas?

Attachments

• Anchor-roller-430.jpg
    Anchor-roller-430.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Anchor-Roller.jpg
    Anchor-Roller.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 24
Depending on the size of the anchor, the rollbar might just come up in front of the pulpit on the 430. It looks like the roller is pretty far forward. That same concern on my boat (with a longer pulpit) is why I have a non rollbar anchor.

Depending on the size of the anchor, the rollbar might just come up in front of the pulpit on the 430. It looks like the roller is pretty far forward. That same concern on my boat (with a longer pulpit) is why I have a non rollbar anchor.

Good point. I'll remeasure it again, but don't believer it will fit.

Would a Rocna Vulcan work?

Yep... but there's a price. Have to sell the Rocna and buy the Rocna Vulcan..... and just might do that.

However, I feel the Rocna, with the roll bar is a better option for my boating... often anchoring in a current/tide or wind that turns the boat around.

Thoughts?

Yep... but there's a price. Have to sell the Rocna and buy the Rocna Vulcan..... and just might do that.

However, I feel the Rocna, with the roll bar is a better option for my boating... often anchoring in a current/tide or wind that turns the boat around.

Thoughts?

The Vulcan rates better than the regular Rocna in the SV Panope tests last I saw. As do a few other new gen anchors. I've been happy with the Vulcan on my boat (73 lb in my case).

The Vulcan rates better than the regular Rocna in the SV Panope tests last I saw. As do a few other new gen anchors. I've been happy with the Vulcan on my boat (73 lb in my case).

Good food for thought... perhaps I'll rethink and just get a Vulcna and sell the regular Rocna.

Have you looked at articulated self-launching rollers? I installed one from West Marine and have been very happy with it. My first one survived a Hatt 60 stuck on my bow like a pickle on a fork during the SF Fleet Week Bay Blue Angels airshow. Although it was mangled a bit, it continued to function until replaced by insurance repair with the same thing.

Once the tether is removed, all launching/retrieval is single-handed from the lower helm or with a wireless remote. No more kicking the anchor off the bow pulpit!!

Attachments

• FW Anchor Pulpit.jpg
    FW Anchor Pulpit.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 17
The Vulcan was developed specifically for the type of bow roller you have since the Rocna roll bar usually doesn't fit or crushes the FRP as it seats. I went through this on my GB36. Had to sell the (new) Rocna, bought a Vulcan and found its holding & setting was as good as the Rocna. Unless you are modifying the bow yourself, I found it was cheaper & easier to buy a new Vulcan. Any of the newest generation anchors will serve you well. Down here in the lowcountry with 7' tides and significant reversing currents in every anchorage, they all work well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom