40' Bluewater pilothouse trawler yacht, Acapulco style.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasn’t aware of that

Thanks,

I was aware of that prior to buying.

And after owning it for 21 years, I have most of the issues resolved or restored.

I knew Roger's. He kept his Bluewater in Gig Harbor, WA. He was one of many Bluewater dealers.

Wasn’t aware that he was just a dealer. I thought he was the master mind behind the whole thing.I would’ve kept the one I had if it was a single .it was set up as a twin So I passed it along

Last edited:
i was fully aware of the plywood construction before purchasing too. on one hand it's fairly easy to repair when needed, on the other it tends to need more repair than if it were all glass. mine has a few trouble spots that i'll be addressing when time allows, but nothing i can't handle. it's already had a new pb built, new pilot house doors, some new roof/deck sections. i have volumes of information and maintenance records that came with it.
i love the layout, and i wanted the single engine too. so far i'm very happy with it.

Plywood topsides is easier to restore or modify than fiberglass.

Glass boats can have core issues, which is more difficult to repair.

I always say choose your poison 6 of 1 , 1/2 a dozen of the other , you know,You have to have a place out of the weather to work on any of these boats , A lot of screwing ,glueing and clamping to get all the curves right. Love the boat though,Great pilot house, covered cockpit , interior living space that doesn’t get much nicer . but it’s a Boat PiTA

Kind of a big thread drift here but attached are pics of a friends boat...which I thought was a Bluewater but turned out to be a Ta Chiao. The differences are subtle to the untrained eye (mine). We were very-very interested in it when we were trawler searching years ago. It was just too big for our needs plus we really wanted a flybridge. The owner stored it in a boathouse where it sat ,untouched for 10-12 years. Now he's taken it to a boatyard, where it's stored on the hard, in the open and if somebody doesn't rescue it, she's going to die there.
It has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work, too. Twin Lehmans and stabilized ,on the Chesapeake bay.

Attachments

• IMG-1363.jpg
    IMG-1363.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-0090.jpg
    IMG-0090.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-0074.jpg
    IMG-0074.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 11
Kind of a big thread drift here but attached are pics of a friends boat...which I thought was a Bluewater but turned out to be a Ta Chiao. The differences are subtle to the untrained eye (mine). We were very-very interested in it when we were trawler searching years ago. It was just too big for our needs plus we really wanted a flybridge. The owner stored it in a boathouse where it sat ,untouched for 10-12 years. Now he's taken it to a boatyard, where it's stored on the hard, in the open and if somebody doesn't rescue it, she's going to die there.
It has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work, too. Twin Lehmans and stabilized ,on the Chesapeake bay.

Those are great trawlers designed by McPhearson, designer of the Bluewaters. They were also sold as Tayanas.

Difference between the Bluewater and Ta Chiao/Tayana:

Bluewater is 39' long - Ta Chiao/Tayana 42'

Bluewater has a 13' beam - Ta Chiao/Tayana 14'

Bluewater has strake lines on hull - Ta Chiao/Tayana has a smooth hull

If you put the Bluewater next to a Ta Chiao/Tayana, the Ta Chiao/Tayana is a significantly larger boat.

Those are great trawlers designed by McPhearson, designer of the Bluewaters. They were also sold as Tayanas.

Difference between the Bluewater and Ta Chiao/Tayana:

Bluewater is 39' long - Ta Chiao/Tayana 42'

Bluewater has a 13' beam - Ta Chiao/Tayana 14'

Bluewater has strake lines on hull - Ta Chiao/Tayana has a smooth hull

If you put the Bluewater next to a Ta Chiao/Tayana, the Ta Chiao/Tayana is a significantly larger boat.

built in the same yard though right?
is that ta chiao the one that sank in the boathouse?

built in the same yard though right?
is that ta chiao the one that sank in the boathouse?

I'm not sure of the yard. From the pictures that I have of Sandpiper being built, the only other boats or molds I see are Bluewater sailboats.

Are you referring to the boat that sank at TYC a while back? That was a Bluewater. Cause of sinking undetermined.

I'm not sure of the yard. From the pictures that I have of Sandpiper being built, the only other boats or molds I see are Bluewater sailboats.

Are you referring to the boat that sank at TYC a while back? That was a Bluewater. Cause of sinking undetermined.

i think that TYC bluewater must be the boat i was thinking of. fuzzy memory.
i only thought the bluewater was buit in the ta chiao yard because the electrical panel in my pilothouse says ta chiao brothers right on it.

By TYC do you mean Tacoma yacht club

If That’s the Bluewater that sank in a boathouse in Tacoma wa . I owned it for a while .I bought it from the insurance company or a company that liquidates boats for insurance company.I know why it sank , The plumbing in the head cause of the problem . the previous owner told me he thought it was raw water supply for the generator ,it wasn’t and he had to know that .so therefore it leads me to only one conclusion that I will leave unsaid. I hauled it to Portland at the time I was able to haul my own boat I owned a truck and a trailer at the time, didn’t cost me much a couple of lift fees and moorage is what I had invested in the boat . I cleaned it up remove the bedford engines that were in it and decided I didn’t want to invest in re powering a twin.So I passed it along to a boat builder in Chinook Washington , he towed it and tied to the doc in the port of Chinook we’re it’s been setting rotting ever sense . Quite a shame could’ve been a very nice boat

hey Josh, im new here and just got a bluewater 40, i believe its hull #2 or 3? i would LOVE to get my hands on those original art renderings / design drawings! can you post them up? or scan email them to me? thanks!

hey Josh, im new here and just got a bluewater 40, i believe its hull #2 or 3? i would LOVE to get my hands on those original art renderings / design drawings! can you post them up? or scan email them to me? thanks!

I will locate them and take a picture of it.

It's 32" X 36" so will need to take it someplace to make a copy. It is a specific blueprint for building Sandpiper.

I will locate them and take a picture of it.

It's 32" X 36" so will need to take it someplace to make a copy. It is a specific blueprint for building Sandpiper.

That would be a huge help, and greatly apricated, I love this design, and there's not a lot of info on these! let me know if I owe you anything!

hi josh,
what's the layout like on the interior? i know there were some options there. mine has the bedford too, runs very sweet. getting parts can be a little challenging, i have some water pump bearings and seals coming from the UK as there weren't any to be found locally. gaskets too, i have a full set now, but the top end set came from the UK. gotta plan ahead with this engine, and have your spares on hand.
it's hard to tell from your avatar pic, but is there a flying bridge on that?

unfortunately no flybridge. But it does have this really cool radar mast, and tugboat style funnel stack, I've never seen another bluewater 40 with one, gives it a rugged "work boat" look. And I dont like having an engine that is hard to find parts for, especially because I am planning to take her all the way up to prince william sound AK in may, so I opted to pull the bedford and re power with the cummins 6BT. Reliable, and much easier to get parts for in remote areas, as most truck and industrial parts cross over.

unfortunately no flybridge. But it does have this really cool radar mast, and tugboat style funnel stack, I've never seen another bluewater 40 with one, gives it a rugged "work boat" look. And I dont like having an engine that is hard to find parts for, especially because I am planning to take her all the way up to prince william sound AK in may, so I opted to pull the bedford and re power with the cummins 6BT. Reliable, and much easier to get parts for in remote areas, as most truck and industrial parts cross over.

What are you doing with the Bedford? I’d be interested in some parts off it.

Im selling the bedford... cheap. Its all there, but the manifold is junk. It was running when pulled apart to fit through the salon door, but its pretty complete, i have have the gear with it too. Its in Bellingham WA. If no one picks it up in the next month its going to the scrap yard haha.

Im selling the bedford... cheap. Its all there, but the manifold is junk. It was running when pulled apart to fit through the salon door, but its pretty complete, i have have the gear with it too. Its in Bellingham WA. If no one picks it up in the next month its going to the scrap yard haha.

you have it advertised anywhere? pictures?

Original Bluewater 40 Acapulco

A really old post, but perhaps of some help. I was an original owner of a Bluewater back in 1972 or 1973 and it was the first launch with a fly-bridge option. Commissioned by Bud Lowrie and crew in San Rafael, CA.
Owned for 11-12 years. Single engine with Onan Gen mounted over shaft for emergency propulsion option. Sold trawler at same marina in San Rafael.
Capt. Dave

Must have been fun ordering and owning a brand new Bluewater. I'm envious.

Pictures of your Bluewater would be welcome.

Did you keep any of the Bluewater brochures, drawings etc?

What did you replace the Bluewater with?

Last edited:
My boat has the onan over the shaft as well. There’s a small box with all the parts needed to make it work.
I’m curious, did you ever fit up the chain and try the onan? I’m curious what speed you get from it.

Re: Emergency Propulsion for single engine BW Trawler.
Glad to help as I can. There was a small gear sprocket to fit onto the gen shaft protruding forward out of the sound shield and a much larger sprocket fixed to the main shaft directly below. Don’t recall the gear ratio, but the lower gear was maybe 12-18” in diameter and cleared the hull by inches. Yes, the emergency drive was tested at sea, twice. I warmed up the gen., then shut down the gen and the main engine and then attached gen sprocket and the chain with the link. (Kept all in a plastic bag of lube) Back at the helm I re-started the gen and was underway again. Since the gen was mounted on flex. pads, there was a little vertical shaft tolerance available to help get the chain on tight. To somewhat manage forward speed, (way in advance) simply stop and start the gen. With the fixed gen RPM, I was able to see about 3 knots. Each test was only about 1/2 hour, but it would have gotten the BW back to where I could safely anchor. Second test was in fairly rough water, so that was a bit exciting in the ER. Probably not good to put the gen under a high electric demand while driving the prop, but I did not test that. Just don’t misplace the small gear and the chain as you don’t want to be hunting around for parts in an emergency.
Also curious: What was ‘Rendezvous’ named before your ownership? Is your Acapulco plan using the L shaped galley or all along the port? Do you have a factory fly-bridge? Capt. Dave

Re: Emergency Propulsion for single engine BW Trawler.
Glad to help as I can. There was a small gear sprocket to fit onto the gen shaft protruding forward out of the sound shield and a much larger sprocket fixed to the main shaft directly below. Don’t recall the gear ratio, but the lower gear was maybe 12-18” in diameter and cleared the hull by inches. Yes, the emergency drive was tested at sea, twice. I warmed up the gen., then shut down the gen and the main engine and then attached gen sprocket and the chain with the link. (Kept all in a plastic bag of lube) Back at the helm I re-started the gen and was underway again. Since the gen was mounted on flex. pads, there was a little vertical shaft tolerance available to help get the chain on tight. To somewhat manage forward speed, (way in advance) simply stop and start the gen. With the fixed gen RPM, I was able to see about 3 knots. Each test was only about 1/2 hour, but it would have gotten the BW back to where I could safely anchor. Second test was in fairly rough water, so that was a bit exciting in the ER. Probably not good to put the gen under a high electric demand while driving the prop, but I did not test that. Just don’t misplace the small gear and the chain as you don’t want to be hunting around for parts in an emergency.
Also curious: What was ‘Rendezvous’ named before your ownership? Is your Acapulco plan using the L shaped galley or all along the port? Do you have a factory fly-bridge? Capt. Dave

so interesting to hear first hand experience, thanks for that. i was toying with removing the sprocket on the main shaft as it's interfering with servicing the stuffing box. previous owners have let the box weep too much in the past and the sprocket has flung sea water and the sprocket is pretty rusty. after hearing your account of how it works, i think i'll de-rust the sprocket and install new set screws in the taperlock bushing so i can move it easily along the shaft. i build machinery for a living, so i'm no stranger to how those things work. it'll just take few days in the engine room to tidy it up. it's been on my hit list since i bought the boat a couple of years ago.
my genset doesn't have a sound shield, so the drive sprocket just bolts onto the crank of the genny after the belt guard is removed. all of the other bits, chain, and wrenches are in a little tool box under the settee.
my boat has the l shaped galley to port. has the double door fridge down low, stove and sink along the port side under the windows. it's definitely a more open feeling salon than the others i've been on, but they all have their pluses and minuses. most have been modified by this point as well.
no fly bridge on mine either. it's hull number 8 and is solid glass, no coring.
it had the name rendezvous when i bought it, but was previously named s-cro according to the service records. maybe it was in the yard at the same time yours was built? not sure how big the yard was or how many boats were under construction at the same time.
terrific chatting with you about this!

Bmarler: Yes I knew the S-CRO and her owners well. S-CRO was commissioned just ahead of my BW and with same crew of three guys at the Lowrie Yacht Sales yard. Other BWs were being outfitted and the recently commissioned SUJAN was also in the harbor. Sometime 3-4 BWs would rendezvous in the Delta and anchor in Potato Slough. Also in the harbor was Howard Arneson (of off-shore racing fame and inventor of the Pool Sweep). His large yacht was called Sea Sweep. He often met up with the BWs in the Delta with one of his fast Cigarette boats. All enjoyed many meals at the original ‘Moores River Boat’ in the early 70’s. There was always a BW nearby for conversation about upgrades, repairs, and future destination plans. So yes, I knew your original BW and was onboard many times. If you receive private messages, I’d be glad to share a major BW ‘incident’ right at the lock on the Sacramento Ship Canal and shortly after the
S-CRO was completed. Regards, Capt. Dave

Bmarler: Yes I knew the S-CRO and her owners well. S-CRO was commissioned just ahead of my BW and with same crew of three guys at the Lowrie Yacht Sales yard. Other BWs were being outfitted and the recently commissioned SUJAN was also in the harbor. Sometime 3-4 BWs would rendezvous in the Delta and anchor in Potato Slough. Also in the harbor was Howard Arneson (of off-shore racing fame and inventor of the Pool Sweep). His large yacht was called Sea Sweep. He often met up with the BWs in the Delta with one of his fast Cigarette boats. All enjoyed many meals at the original ‘Moores River Boat’ in the early 70’s. There was always a BW nearby for conversation about upgrades, repairs, and future destination plans. So yes, I knew your original BW and was onboard many times. If you receive private messages, I’d be glad to share a major BW ‘incident’ right at the lock on the Sacramento Ship Canal and shortly after the
S-CRO was completed. Regards, Capt. Dave

Amazing, so interesting that you knew my boat from new. Regarding private messaging, please feel free to send me one here, I’ll be happy to hear from you.

Back
Top Bottom