1978 Mainship 34 - throttle control box replacement part

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dorr

Vessel Name
Stargazer
Vessel Make
1978 Mainship 34 Flybridge
Had the toothed metal mount pin on the fwd/rev throttle lever completely shear off yesterday, leaving me stuck in reverse near rocky shoreline. Glad we had the flybridge helm!

Need to locate a replacement control box. Anyone know where to find such parts. I'm located in San Juan islands/Seattle area.

Not much luck searching online so far.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• lever small.jpg
    lever small.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 74
  • lever2 small.jpg
    lever2 small.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 70
  • throttle lever1 (2).jpg
    throttle lever1 (2).jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 11
You could swap it with the lower helm to get you by until you are able to repair or replace. Those assemblies aren't the most robust in the world but I can't imagine how in the world the shaft sheared off! You must have some serious upper body strength!
Seriously though, I have a pair of Morse twin-s controls that I'm going to to use to replace both of our original-equipment controls. If you can wait, I'll give you a set of my old teleflex ones but ,if I were you, I would just buy new and be done with it. The Whitecap knockoffs aren't that expensive.

Attachments

• teleflex-morse-single-and-twin-s-engine-controls14819.jpg
    teleflex-morse-single-and-twin-s-engine-controls14819.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 7
I believe that’s a Teleflex control head. Who owns Teleflex now?

I just looked at your picture again. I guess my swapping with your lower station idea wont work because that is your lower station! I wouldn't be surprised if parts for the original Teleflex ones weren't even available any longer. Check ebay for a used replacement or like I said in my previous post, if you can wait, you're welcome to mine. Even though I have 2 new Morse S series controls sitting on the shelf, there's other things need doing that are more pressing.

Shearing off like that is a pretty common problem. It happened to me once. It was a loooong time ago and Teleflex was then rebuilding them au gratis. IIRC it took about 2 weeks total.
Might be worth a call or e mail.

But if it were me I'd replace both with Morse units.
And the cables.

You could swap it with the lower helm to get you by until you are able to repair or replace. Those assemblies aren't the most robust in the world but I can't imagine how in the world the shaft sheared off! You must have some serious upper body strength!
Seriously though, I have a pair of Morse twin-s controls that I'm going to to use to replace both of our original-equipment controls. If you can wait, I'll give you a set of my old teleflex ones but ,if I were you, I would just buy new and be done with it. The Whitecap knockoffs aren't that expensive.
Thanks Shawn. I have no idea how it sheared off. We just purchased in Oct 2020 and only run 50 hrs since May. Used the fly bridge most of the season. Minimal pressure and it just went limp..
Boat is about to go on the hard for the winter so no big rush. Could use your old ones once your project is done and just pay to have them shipped to the marine center where it will be on the hard until May. What control box was that in the picture you posted? Relatively new to these kind of boats, so don't know all the lingo.

Shearing off like that is a pretty common problem. It happened to me once. It was a loooong time ago and Teleflex was then rebuilding them au gratis. IIRC it took about 2 weeks total.

And the cables.

I didn't realize that was something that's happened before. I guess changing out our Teleflex controls to Morse just moved up a couple of notches on my priority list. At least the cables have already been changed! Thanks.

Thanks Shawn. I have no idea how it sheared off. We just purchased in Oct 2020 and only run 50 hrs since May. Used the fly bridge most of the season. Minimal pressure and it just went limp..
Boat is about to go on the hard for the winter so no big rush. Could use your old ones once your project is done and just pay to have them shipped to the marine center where it will be on the hard until May. What control box was that in the picture you posted? Relatively new to these kind of boats, so don't know all the lingo.

The attached picture was of a Morse control. They (Morse) seem to be built to a higher standard than the teleflex that were originally used on our mainships.
I have got to get our engine reinstalled since it was out for repairs but hopefully in another couple of weeks I'll get the boat back home and get to work swapping out the controls. When I do, I'll be sure to get in contact with you and figure out a way to get them in your possession if you decide you want to replace the broken one with the same type.

Stargazer is headed to the shop mid-Oct for repair of an engine oil issue that cropped up the same day as the control failure (when it rains it pours!). So depending on engine issue, will decide on what to do with control box. I'll reach out in mid- to late-Oct t to see where the control replacement is in your priority list and decide which way to go. Much appreciated!

Engine is a rebuilt Perkins/Detroit Range 4 (same as original equipment I believe) with only 285 hrs, but it started burning oil and smoking pretty bad quite suddenly the other day, so towing to mainland mid-Oct for diagnosis.

The attached picture was of a Morse control. They (Morse) seem to be built to a higher standard than the teleflex that were originally used on our mainships.
I have got to get our engine reinstalled since it was out for repairs but hopefully in another couple of weeks I'll get the boat back home and get to work swapping out the controls. When I do, I'll be sure to get in contact with you and figure out a way to get them in your possession if you decide you want to replace the broken one with the same type.
Awesome, thank you. We also just had engine issue...hopefully not a catastrophic failure. Fingers crossed!

Engine is a rebuilt Perkins/Detroit Range 4 (same as original equipment I believe) with only 285 hrs, but it started burning oil and smoking pretty bad quite suddenly the other day, so towing to mainland mid-Oct for diagnosis.

Please let us know what the engine failure is and what caused it.
Did it just up and die or did you shut it down?
Does it crank over with the starter?

Please let us know what the engine failure is and what caused it.
Did it just up and die or did you shut it down?
Does it crank over with the starter?
Engine turns over just fine and seems to run OK (no knocking), but it suddenly started burning a lot of oil the last couple times out. Oil pressure dropped from typical 50-60ps to only 20psi. Oil blobs on the water at the exhaust and heavy smoke out the exhaust at >1000 rpms. Oil on dipsticks is still black color, so that is good. Engine temps, fuel filter, and sea strainer all check out OK.

Had to add significant amount of oil to get level back up to max on dipsticks.

We've been told that attempting to run the boat into mainland could result in run-away engine scenario or worse with this much of an oil leak into the cylinders, so will tow in and hope it can be repaired. Will post what we learn once diagnosed.

Doug

And the cables.
Thanks. I think we'll probably replace units with new ones and new cables as well....if we have any $$ left in the bank account after engine issue is fixed.
Doug

Engine turns over just fine and seems to run OK (no knocking), but it suddenly started burning a lot of oil the last couple times out. Oil pressure dropped from typical 50-60ps to only 20psi. Oil blobs on the water at the exhaust and heavy smoke out the exhaust at >1000 rpms. Oil on dipsticks is still black color, so that is good. Engine temps, fuel filter, and sea strainer all check out OK.

Had to add significant amount of oil to get level back up to max on dipsticks.

We've been told that attempting to run the boat into mainland could result in run-away engine scenario or worse with this much of an oil leak into the cylinders, so will tow in and hope it can be repaired. Will post what we learn once diagnosed.

Doug

Sounds a lot like turbocharger oil seal. If so that's a cheap repair.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom