Best electric oil change extractor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apagano

Veteran Member
I have been thinking about a better, and esier way to change my oil, twin engine Marine Trader and the thought of using an electric pump sounds very good-to me.
Shopping online the prices vary from $20 to $200 I have no clue regarding to what product is the best solution . Does anyone have any first hand experience and suggestion to which pump out there is the most effective?
Thanks very much
Alfonse

The most effective is to connect a pump out to the fitting for the drain plug. My pump has a manifold that the engine, transmission, and generator drain plug fittings are connected to. The pump and manifold are significantly more than $200 though.

Ted

Jabsco Port-A-Quick

I've had good luck with the Jabsco Port-A-Quick

Like Ted I have a multi port Oil-X-Changer unit that serves single eng, gen and a spare port I plan to connect to trans. Looks like price about $500+
They also have portable pumps with the same capacity for about the $200 price you are looking at.
Mine has worked perfectly and I think these are used on many makes / model boats.

X-change-R® Oil Change Pumps Systems and Products

Reverso makes a wide range of oil change systems in both portable and plumbed in. They offer both rubber impeller and gear pumps. I think the gear pumps are the same Italian pumps that Marco sells.
https://reversopumps.com/oil-change-systems/

I had an oil x changer pump and a drain plug fitting and hose on my Lehman.
It would suck cold oil out with ease.
I would pump it into a 5 gallon gas can and dispose of the oil in the can. (I usually took it to my son's automotive shop where he used it for heat).
I made up adapters so I could use the pump for the main engine , generator, or transmission.

Reverso makes a wide range of oil change systems in both portable and plumbed in. They offer both rubber impeller and gear pumps. I think the gear pumps are the same Italian pumps that Marco sells.
https://reversopumps.com/oil-change-systems/

:thumb: for the Reverso oil change system.
While you are at it, check out their fuel polishing systems.
Both are very clean install.

:thumb: for the Reverso oil change system.
While you are at it, check out their fuel polishing systems.
Both are very clean install.

Just don't run the fuel polisher in reverse, it gives the fuel a satin finish.:)

Goplus Electric Fuel Pump 12V 10GPM Diesel Bio Kerosene Oil Transfer Extractor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZB84W...abc_ZM72RKMZGF06EDQDM83M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I used a small pump like this. Slower than a big pump but a few minutes longer, not a big deal to me.

I have a single Lehman with tube connected to drain plug so I mounted the pump.

You could mount it on a 5 gallon bucket lid for moving between 2 engines, genset. Or build a manifold.

Last edited:
I personally like a pressurized extractor as I can also vacuum oil, water, antifreeze or anything else that may happen to fall into the bilge. imagepng_0.jpg

I agree with nussbda. I’ve been using the same Jabsco Port a Quick for something like 20 years on different boats. My Lehman has a hose connected to the oil pan drain plug. Works well.

OK it isn't electric , but the vacuum tank pumps suck thru the dipstick hole and have many other uses. Store it in a plastic garbage bag, no mess.

Here is one style , there are many to choose from.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BW393E...wg=DO5XO&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_2_img

I've got that exact unit and it's definitely the best oil extractor I've used. Not ideal for engines that hold more than ~10 quarts though, as it would take multiple cycles to drain the whole thing.

Goplus Electric Fuel Pump 12V 10GPM Diesel Bio Kerosene Oil Transfer Extractor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZB84W...abc_ZM72RKMZGF06EDQDM83M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I used a small pump like this. Slower than a big pump but a few minutes longer, not a big deal to me.

Looks like a good compromise between price and performance.

I have to question the quoted 10GPM (40LPM) rating. Are you seeing anything near that? I have one cheap pump I bought when an old one failed, and it's much too slow.

My pump is definitely slower, but at even 1 gpm, and it's probably more, at 12 qts in a Lehman and filling the 1 gallon jugs....3 go fast enough I have to wait 10-15 minutes to let the oil keep draining out of the engine.

Mine is a diaphragm pump so defimnitely slower...just trying to show the cheaper alternatives.

A good oil change will be with hot oil that has been warm (under load) for long enough for the detergent in the oil to have pulled some of the gunk out of where it settles.

Most of the hot oil will drain fairly rapidly a film will still be left on most working surfaces. The warm engine and internals will not have changed shape by cooling down.

That's the time to refill the engine and start it and lube everything backup.

+1 for Reverso, works like a champ

Use it for oil and trans

If you don't want to spend big money a hand cranked rotary vane pump works a treat.
We have near enough to 10 gallons/37 litres in the engine, same again in gearbox
Permanently mounted and takes a few minutes to crank it out

Used to have the hand vacuum pump can for my gas inboards. Just right for 6 quarts. Fast and simple with warm oil. Several gallons in a diesel is a whole nuther story. My Perkins has a hand pump. 3 gallons takes about 60 strokes.

Our boat came with an old Groco oil change pump and manifold. The bronze manifold leaked consistently, but the pump runs well. Recently replaced the manifold with a Reverso manifold and it works and looks great. Hooked up to both mains and generator. Now thinking I should have gotten a 5 valve manifold and hooked up the transmissions. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom