Approximate range, 40ft sedan, twin 300hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Approximate range of a 40ft sedan, twin 300hp engines, 300 gal fuel capacity, Looking at several on east coast of FL and need to bring it back to Galveston Bay. Is it even possible?
Thanks,
Bob

Approximate range of a 40ft sedan, twin 300hp engines, 300 gal fuel capacity, Looking at several on east coast of FL and need to bring it back to Galveston Bay. Is it even possible?
Thanks,
Bob

It absolutely is possible. If you run it at 7-8 kts, you will burn under 5 gph total (probably closer to 4 gph) giving you an easy 400 nm range. You could run 12-15 kts and burn 15-20 gph total and still have adequate range between fuel stops, just need to be more careful until you know the boat and get an exact consumption profile.

Good luck -

Peter (ex delivery skipper)

You shoul burn 3-4 gph at 7 kits, so worst case maybe 500 miles, no reserve, 300miles at 12 kts and 250 at 15.

Just depends on how fast you want to go and how often to fuel up. Even at 15 kts you can make some decent offshore legs to save time, but probably not straight from Tampa to Galveston even going 6 kts.

David

Thanks for the input. Used to doing it in sailboats.

This trip should give you the opportunity to generate your personal gph/RPM/speed/distance graph or chart.
They use to say, 1/3 reserve but now, I keep hearing people say 20% reserve.
Plan your trip allowing for designated refueling marinas.
Depending upon your starting point, Stuart .... cross FL there. I am told there are fueling points on the cross FL canal.... I'm sure you can refuel at Stuart.
When you get down to about 1/2 fuel capacity, start looking for a refueling point.
Do you have sight glass on your fuel tanks? Mathematically you can calibrate your sight glass with blue and a magic marker if you have rectangular tanks. If not, make a note on the blue tape and then when you filled up. Between fill ups, try to maintain your RPM. After a fill up, raise your RPM until the next fill up. Always write down the number of gallons you took on board. If you get 1/2 dozen points, you can extrapolate, and generate your fuel verses RPM graph. In the future you can generate more points, refining your graph.
Yes, I know, I am ignoring sea state and currents.
So many variables..... give it your best shot.

Last edited:
Start with a clean bottom shafts and props to obtain best milage performance. Lots of good suggestions above.

In my feeble mind, distance between fuel fill up is primary unless for the usual reasons, getting an open slip, tie up before dark, a bridges and locks etc.
Unless necessary, to hull speed. SMILE

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom