Mainship 40 A/C Outlet question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello all,

I had an AC/DC Nova Kool fridge and I replaced it with a AC only unit but the AC plug that the Nova Kool was plugged into doesn't work with the new one I bought.

Looking at the diagram I am trying to figure out the difference between the outlets as they are shown wired.

Looks kinda like one A/C leg is wired on one set (red) of outlets and the other leg on the other (black)?

I am not sure why, maybe someone can help?

I need to either daisy another outlet or modify the existing one I am guessing???

See the attached pictures for reference..

Jeff

Attachments

• outlet 2.jpg
    outlet 2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 20
  • outlet 1.jpg
    outlet 1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 16
I'm really bad at AC power, so I know you will get better answers from others here, but when you say the outlet "doesn't work" do you mean there is no power to it? Or do you mean it has power but your new fridge, when plugged into it, doesn't run? Have you tested the outlet with a multi meter? Maybe plug the fridge temporarily into another outlet on the other circuit to confirm it works? Or maybe plug it directly into a 15amp outlet on the dock power pedestal?

New fridge does not run when plugged into that outlet, old fridge works from that outlet.
I ran an extension cord from the Microwave outlet to the new fridge and it runs fine,

Dont want to leave it like this though...

There are 2 outlets in that cabinet area, one dedicated to the AC/DC fridge and one up higher where the microwave is plugged into.

Two thoughts
1) does anything work when plugged into that outlet? Try plugging something else in
2) It may be a ground fault or gfi outlet or breaker that has tripped and needs to be reset. My Mainship has the gfi outlets that “nuisance” trip. Trip maybe because of moisture or sometimes for no apparent reason. Work fine when reset.

Well like I said, the Nova kool refrigerator works when plugged into that outlet but the new fridge does not...so the outlet i would say sorta works???

the nova kool may have a universal voltage power supply in it. those can run a very wide spread of voltages and still function. the a/c only unit may not be as tolerant.
you should verify the actual voltage coming out of that outlet, preferably while there's a load on it. it might be possible the outlet is damaged and not putting out what it should.

Modern plug in devices do not have the ground (green wire) connected to the neutral (white wire).

Some overseas mfg might still have the connection ,It will pop a GFI.

Not sure why the new fridge isn't working, but to answer your question, your AC outlets are split between the 2 legs to balance the load. The idea is to try to split loads equally between the legs. If that were to ever truly happen(not likely), then the neutral wire would have no load on it.

Start with the basics, like using a receptacle tester on that receptacle, then a voltmeter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom