Helping keep a runner rug in place?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I've got a runner rug on the salon of our EB47. It's difficult to keep in place. I've used the typical mesh/net pad to help keep it in place but that eventually slips. I'd like to avoid damaging the finish on the teak. I do not want to permanently attach it with screws or other fasteners. I've used carpet tape and that only lasts for so long.

Anyone have a favorite rug backer/pad for something like this?

Or horror stories of what NOT to use?

I had a rug at home that had a natural latex backing on it for nonskid. Worked great until I pulled up the rug a few years later when we moved. It left a print of tiny rubber goobers and took several hours of hands-and-knees work to clean up the hardwood floor. I have some similar little rugs on the boat, but they get pulled up at least every other week and haven't been a problem.

I did this. Flip the rug over and squeeze out a canister of clear silicone all over it in swirls or zig-zags to suit your artistic desires. Smooth out with a trowel of some sort. Let try. Flip over and watch it stay put.

Check out ruggable rugs. They make a two part rug/ runner combo that is washable and no-slip. I am a fan. They are a bit finicky to assemble but work well. Rugs are thin - not deep plush but nice under foot. They wash well and have several sizes of runner.

Washable Rugs & Washable Area Rugs by Ruggable

Check out ruggable rugs. They make a two part rug/ runner combo that is washable and no-slip. I am a fan. They are a bit finicky to assemble but work well. Rugs are thin - not deep plush but nice under foot. They wash well and have several sizes of runner.

https://ruggable.com/

We have a ruggable area rug in the salon. We love it.

An occasional body jerk moves my rugs return to the desired position.

Super Grip by Plastic Dip

I’ve used this stuff numerous times over the years and have had no issues with it leaving marks in the wood floor. You flip the rug over and spray as much as you want, let it dry and you’re good to go. Looks like Amazon and Walmart both list it online. I like it better than the non skid mats.
49F78043-0ED9-4747-8D78-542FFD60BA11.jpeg

As per a recommendation made elsewhere, I picked a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GPJ9PW2

They've got an adhesive side that sticks to the carpet and a foam-like side that faces the floor. The foam side spreads and forms a sort of vacuum-like grip. I put patches on each end and at alternating thirds. 3 on the ends, one at a left 1/3 point, the other on the right 1/3 point. It's pretty much completely resistant to any foot motion shifting the carpet.

We'll see how they hold up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom