Fuel leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

finecar

Vessel Make
42' CHB Ponderosa
I have a 1986 CHB 42' Ponderosa Aft Cabin trawler that has a fuel tank leak into the bilge and we had to drain the starboard fuel tank. The fuel tank needs repair and I’m not sure what procedure to follow. Any suggestions would be greatlyappreciated. Thank you.

What are the tanks made out of, black iron? What is the accessibility? Does the tank have access ports in it? Where is the leak, high or low on the tank? Can you see the leak or is it hidden?

It would help if you can give us more info to deal with. The best thing to do would be to replace the tank. Maybe also the most expensive thing to do. However that may be the solution that needs to be done. There are countless threads here on tank leaks and replacement. There are so many variations on what to do. You can replace the tank or you can try to repair the tank. Some repairs are successful some are not.

If they're metal you may be able to weld a patch on the leaking area if you can get to it. There are serious risks that have to be mitigated, like emptying the tank completely and emptying and drying out the tank, protecting everything else around it, etc.

I've heard some people insert a rubber bladder into a leaking tank. It fills the tank to approximately the same size/capacity.

If it's a fiberglass tank I'm not sure if it can be repaired or not. I have no experience with that, but I imagine diesel saturated fiberglass might make it hard for new fiberglass to adhere and seal.

I would think plastic tanks would be easy enough to repair (though, again, I'm not speaking from experience). There are some effective glues, or you might be able to use heat.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

I have participated in old black iron tank replacement with multiple aluminum tanks in a trawler and have also read countless accounts here over the years of how people accomplished the repair and/or replacement. I can only suggest you do a search here and consult with local mechanical talent to formulate your plan.

Call Larry at American Fuel Tanks in La Mesa. He did mine and my brothers boat as well. That is his specialty. 619-253-7035

Back
Top Bottom