Storage space, I.E. Drawers and cupboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulton20

Veteran Member
Good Morning, it has been awhile since I have been to this forum. It appears things have not changed much, that's a good thing. I have a general question. Is there one manufacture of boats, that seems to take full advantage of storage and storage space? The reason I ask is, I have been on a couple of boats lately. 40+'ers, and storage just seems lacking for the size of vessel, as my wife called them "weekend boats". What I mean by storage is drawers and cupboards, where there should be such things, like the galley, staterooms and in the general living quarters. Thanks in advance for the replies. Have a great day!

Hi - I can tell you a Greenline 33 has tons of storage space. We cruise up to 6 months at a go, along with all our stuff and junque...and have storage space left over. I expect you would find the same abundance of storage space on a Greenline 40, but I haven't examined one closely from this perspective. I've been on a new GL39 and don't believe it's quite as generous with storage space.

Hatteras. This is my 4th boat, 1st Hat. They're unbelievable. Tons of space creatively and skillfully laid out.

My 2 cents.

All my boats have had plenty of storage. However, galley storage has always been in short supply, even on my current OA 54.

I have always needed to repurpose other parts of the boat to accommodate my wife’s cooking needs.

All my boats have had plenty of storage. However, galley storage has always been in short supply, even on my current OA 54.

I have always needed to repurpose other parts of the boat to accommodate my wife’s cooking needs.
I like eating, so this is important. Thanks for the replies, I'll look into the, Hats. We have been looking at DeFever boats on YouTube, hope to look at on in person. Wife likes the lay out.

Last edited:
I second the Hatteras. I've got an older (1983) 43' DCMY and it's got plenty of storage for myself, my partner, our dog, and three liveaboard pet rats (caged, of course. No free-roaming dock rattos, please!)

The only complaint that I've got is that the galley could be a -little- bigger, but it's got plenty of room as long as you don't try to cram more than just the cook in there at once.

Bunks are easier, faster and cheaper to build than drawers.

My wife says she has not seen a spacious galley on a boat less than 70’. She points out that 70’ does not guarantee you a spacious galley. She claims at 55’ you get either good storage or good counter space but not both. She classifies our 54’ as above average storage and counter space but not great at either. She classified our uniflite 42 galley as luxurious camping

:rofl:, it must be men building these boats.

I have adequate storage, my wife does not as she does not need to store items in the engine room, lazerate, under beds or under seats.

Hint: When you look at a boat, look for opportunities to have custom cabinets built. When I bought my 34AT, I saw these opportunities ..... I added 5 custom cabinets then my beautiful, Vietnamese 'house mouse' moved aboard. The hanging closet became a problem. I told her 'half', she thought I said 3/4 so I put a hose clamp half way on the closet rod. EVIL GRIN. She has learned to live with it, almost. 4 drawers in the stateroom...... I have one and she has 3. See, I'm winning. NOT!! I consider it a great accomplishment to still have 1/2 the hanging closet. :D
So, look for opportunities to add cabinets :thumb: (and bring money)

Last edited:
You and your wife may need to change your expectations for storage on a boat. A boat is far different from a house. For one thing, it's much smaller and for another thing the shape is dictated by the needs of being efficient and seaworthy in the water. Also, a higher percentage of available space is taken up by mechanical systems.

The choice a designer faces is, storage space or living space. Living space usually wins out. I don't think there is a particular brand of boat that chooses storage space over living space.

Perhaps you could visit other boaters at a marina and ask they how they deal with limited storage on their boats.

My boat has plenty of storage in general, with 2 exceptions. A little more galley storage would be nice, but as long as you're careful about what does and doesn't need to be in the galley, it's adequate. The only other storage complaint is a lack of "wet" storage on deck due to no lazarette. The closest we've got is under the forward stateroom, which has 2 problems: anything that goes in there must be carried through the cabin, and it's too far forward to want much heavy stuff in there.

No prom dresses nor 14 pairs of shoes.
I dont wear a bra to support my man boobs so why should she wear a bra. Equal rights etc

"How big must a boat be before the galley crosses the line to being spacious?"

When you must have a hand hold and a plan to move when underway , its spacious.

I liked the galley on my N46. It was almost a cubby hole..... Just rotate and everything one needed to cook was within hand's reach. Alas, only one cabinet for pots and pans.
On the AT34, the galley is a U shaped about 6ft long starboard side, fridge and microwave at one end, sink and drawers at the other end.. It is basically part of the saloon. Far more counter space than the N46, far more cupboard than the N46. (NO, I had not filled up the counter space with kitchen gadgets. I only have the coffee maker on the counter top) Soooo, I added more pots and pans to feel cramped again. SMILE. Over all, the AT has a pretty nice galley. The N46, not as nice as the AT's galley.
Hand holds? The galley on the N46 had about 3X3ft floor space so the distance traveled was about 1.5ft. Hand holds not needed. The AT..... only lip to hold onto it the ledge at the front of the stove. It could benefit with a hand hold or two but, no place to install them.
LOL I forgot the purpose of this theists. I'm bad. Sorry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom