Looking for a dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisaensing

Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
Camano / Troll
I am located on the west coast of Florida and looking for a dock for 6 months summer in 2022 - St. Pete Clearwater area.

Are you looking foe dead boat storage in a hurricane hole , or a liveaboard place?

Are you looking foe dead boat storage in a hurricane hole , or a liveaboard place?

In water, would stay on the boat a few weekends a month.

Lots of choices.....
Starting from the north:
Home Port Marina: Has covered slips, lots of social activites especially Fri nite when people come out to the dock. Good restaurant and pool.

Marker One: the slips close to the sea wall has shallow water issues.

Both of the above are on the north side of town, need a car for shopping etc.
Dunedin Marina: Great area, walk to many small restaurants and shops, kinda touristy but really nice. Two restaurants on site.

Clearwater Muni Marinas: They operate one on Clearwater Island, one on the mainland. Both good and suspect easy to get a slip. The Island one has many restaurants close and a fun but very touristy town. The mainland one is fairly new, can "hike" to town (more of a business area), nice park next door.
Harborside Marina: Part of a Holiday Inn Water Park. On the "narrows" part of the ICW and a few miles to get to more ope water. Can have a tricky tide current for docking. Lots of restaurants close by, walk to the beach. Dockmaster is a jerk unles they got rid of him. A bit more pricey as I recall.
Madeira Beach Marina: Walk to beach and some restaurants. Walk across the bridge to shopping center with restaurants, Publix, Liquor, Drug, etc. Very reasonable, small, hard to get in but worth a try. Nice place. (I live close).
There are plenty more to the south, but not as familiar.

On Treasure Island, the Club at Treasure Island, recently a Yacht Club may have slips.

Last edited:
Might consider checking tampa.craigslist.org

There are almost always a few people who have a dock behind their house, but no boat, and so they are looking to rent it out for some extra money. One issue to be aware of is that some of these are in very shallow water. Second issue is that many do not allow any over-nighting. Nonetheless, if you get lucky you might find something suitable, for significantly less than you would pay at a commercial marina.

Good luck.

Lots of choices.....
Starting from the north:
Home Port Marina: Has covered slips, lots of social activites especially Fri nite when people come out to the dock. Good restaurant and pool.

Marker One: the slips close to the sea wall has shallow water issues.

Both of the above are on the north side of town, need a car for shopping etc.
Dunedin Marina: Great area, walk to many small restaurants and shops, kinda touristy but really nice. Two restaurants on site.

Clearwater Muni Marinas: They operate one on Clearwater Island, one on the mainland. Both good and suspect easy to get a slip. The Island one has many restaurants close and a fun but very touristy town. The mainland one is fairly new, can "hike" to town (more of a business area), nice park next door.
Harborside Marina: Part of a Holiday Inn Water Park. On the "narrows" part of the ICW and a few miles to get to more ope water. Can have a tricky tide current for docking. Lots of restaurants close by, walk to the beach. Dockmaster is a jerk unles they got rid of him. A bit more pricey as I recall.
Madeira Beach Marina: Walk to beach and some restaurants. Walk across the bridge to shopping center with restaurants, Publix, Liquor, Drug, etc. Very reasonable, small, hard to get in but worth a try. Nice place. (I live close).
There are plenty more to the south, but not as familiar.

On Treasure Island, the Club at Treasure Island, recently a Yacht Club may have slips.

Thanks for the info. We have been at everyone of those at one time or another. A couple of them are saying 100+ waiting list. Dunedin doesn’t accept transients long term, only residents & even then a 2 year waiting list. I will check out some of the other suggestions.

Thanks for the info. We have been at everyone of those at one time or another. A couple of them are saying 100+ waiting list. Dunedin doesn’t accept transients long term, only residents & even then a 2 year waiting list. I will check out some of the other suggestions.

Yea, unfortunately not an easy market, but shouldn't be that hard for the summer. Another option would be to locate a snowbird that leaves his house vacant in the summer, and has a dock, but a challenge to find.

Question: What boat, draft, size? What power do you need? And where is home for you normally?

We keep the boat in Crystal River at our house. We have a 31’ Camano 3’4” draft

In our area Ortona on the Caloosahatchie a few homeowners rent out their dock for storage.

The delight is its a hurricane Hole so the usual precautions about canvass and loose gear have to be observed.

The hard news is its far from most folks .But for $200-$250 a month its worth a drive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom