Pilot 30 shaft log/dripless location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elmer Phelon

Hi all, I'm seriously considering buying an 01' Pilot 30 Hard top, great boat, the only thing holding me back is the shaft dripless fitting is original---20 yrs old, seems to be leaking and has to be replaced.
Problem is they installed the 175 gal aluminum fuel tank directly on top of the Shaft log/dripless which is deep in a narrow bilge, you can't even see the Shaft log without a mirror. The tank looks so tight to the underside of the deck, cant see a way to remove it without removing the engine, raw water strainer, domestic water pump and hoses, hot water heater and a ton of other stuff as well. Is it possible they designed and built a boat like this? what am I missing.........

Has anyone been able to manage this replacement without removing the tank, if so how?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

hi,

we have a 34 pilot not a 30 but since nobody has chimed in, i'll offer this. we had our shaft seal replaced. on the 34 if you open the cockpit floor hatch the shaft log is right there.

there is a "guy" who can do this. you just have to find him/her.

good luck.

Hi. I have a pilot 30 with regular (drip type?) log. Boat was new to me last year and on purchase I had it hauled for numerous fixes including a shaft log. I was asked if I want a dripless log while I was at it, I declined due to cost. After saying all of this I see no problem with replacement without removing engine. However, not with the boat in the water. Disconnect the shaft from the coupler and remove the prop, disconnect the rudder from the cable and push it beyond hard over and the shaft slides out through a slot in the rudder. Easy Peasy! :ermm: While rather involved, there should be no need to remove engine.

IF you are going dripless as I did, install at least one extra seal so it can be replaced without hauling. PLUS, I cant lose or misplace the replacement seal.

Sounds to me like his problem is there is no access to the shaft packing. Sounds like just one more thing built with no thought to doing maintenance.

Sounds to me like his problem is there is no access to the shaft packing. Sounds like just one more thing built with no thought to doing maintenance.

I do not have a Pilot30.

Sounds like it is something the Navy built, no access.

If the engine room is so poorly designed you cannot maintain a piece of equipment without disassembling the boat, I would give serious reconsider to buying the boat. Yea a bit harsh but ....

Last edited:
All I know is that on my Pilot 30 they replaced my shaft log without dissembling my boat.

hi,

we have a 34 pilot not a 30 but since nobody has chimed in, i'll offer this. we had our shaft seal replaced. on the 34 if you open the cockpit floor hatch the shaft log is right there.

there is a "guy" who can do this. you just have to find him/her.

good luck.

Thanks Duetto, Yes on th 34 the log/dripless is fully accessible, not on the 30.It buried under the middle of transverse 175 Gal fuel tank.

I do not have a Pilot30.

Sounds like it is something the Navy built, no access.

If the engine room is so poorly designed you cannot maintain a piece of equipment without disassembling the boat, I would give serious reconsider to buying the boat. Yea a bit harsh but ....

On the Pilot 30 with the Yanmar 4LHA STP the engine compartment is VERY accessible ....Is very fuel efficient , cruises at 12 KTS at 2800, perfect boat for us, only down side is I can see so far is this dripless is buried under the fuel tank, and being 20 yrs old, has to be replaced.

Hi. I have a pilot 30 with regular (drip type?) log. Boat was new to me last year and on purchase I had it hauled for numerous fixes including a shaft log. I was asked if I want a dripless log while I was at it, I declined due to cost. After saying all of this I see no problem with replacement without removing engine. However, not with the boat in the water. Disconnect the shaft from the coupler and remove the prop, disconnect the rudder from the cable and push it beyond hard over and the shaft slides out through a slot in the rudder. Easy Peasy! :ermm: While rather involved, there should be no need to remove engine.

Thanks Sir.
I'm familiar with removing prop. shaft, coupling, replacing cutlass bearing, , done it many times, But not with the Stuffing box/Dripless buried under a transverse fuel tank. how do you access yours to adjust the stuffing box or replace the packing?

Years ago, I considered buying a Crealock-designed Willard 30 8-ton sailboat, sort of like a Westsail 32 - a double-ender. When I looked at it, the engine was installed far aft with a V-Drive that made the stuffing box inaccessible. Was a non-starter (good thing - I lost my lust for owning a sailboat shortly thereafter).

Old Dan - what brand of dripless do you have? Not all brands are designed for a spare seal as a warm-standby. The PSS cannot be replaced, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what brands allow a spare seal to be left on the shaft so pulling the shaft is not needed.

Peter

Tides Marine has a spare seal carrier that allows a spare seal to be put on so you don’t have to pull the shaft https://www.tidesmarine.com

Thanks All for the feedback.
Dan's words of wisdom for a back up seal when changing dripless is priceless. I'll investigate all brands and models before making the decision. Seems the 2 variable choices are a lip seal or ceramic.

Can't ID the existing brand, as its inaccessible except with a mirror and flashlight, looks like a PSS though. I'm very surprised it lasted 20 yrs without service or changing the seal

The real reason I put them on the shaft is because, I have been known to misplace parts.
If they are on the shaft, I have a high probability of finding the seals if I need them SMIRK

Mid if I ask the ball park they charged at your yard to replace it?

It seems to me to install a dripless (while hauled already for bottom paint and install a transducer below the waterline) was close to $1000, while a new log with teflon packing was $300. I will have to check

Thanks Sir.
I'm familiar with removing prop. shaft, coupling, replacing cutlass bearing, , done it many times, But not with the Stuffing box/Dripless buried under a transverse fuel tank. how do you access yours to adjust the stuffing box or replace the packing?

To adjust the packing, the PO made an extra long extension (though they can be purchased that long as well) that will reach the nuts from underneath the cockpit sole. It reaches under the tank. It’s about three feet or so long. I store it in the engine compartment next to the freshwater tank

To adjust the packing, the PO made an extra long extension (though they can be purchased that long as well) that will reach the nuts from underneath the cockpit sole. It reaches under the tank. It’s about three feet or so long. I store it in the engine compartment next to the freshwater tank

Much Obliged sir.

Wow, 3 FT extension, thats longer than my arms could reach to install the delicate seals, clamps and locking set screws on a new dripless. Ill try to have a yard do the install.

Kinda what I thought too!

Back
Top Bottom