Looking for rookie stories...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
I've been curious to hear stories from the people that have sold all and decided to become liveaboards and cruisers.. Really would like to hear the tales of people that were mostly inexperienced when they made the leap and did it on a reasonable budget.
We are getting closer to the purchase of a vessel here in the Northeast and whenever I post an inquiry on this forum someone is always sure to bring up something I haven't previously thought of.

Thanks!

Living aboard has a certain appeal. We have only taken our boat South a couple times for the Winter months and really enjoyed it. Hope to do it again maybe next year. The problem you might want to factor in is if you sell your house and buy a boat is it maybe very difficult to reverse the process, Boats tend to depreciate and houses have recently really appreciated. I think you can get a good feel of living aboard by cruising down the ICW and hanging out in the South for the Winter to see if you like it.

Living aboard has a certain appeal. We have only taken our boat South a couple times for the Winter months and really enjoyed it. Hope to do it again maybe next year. The problem you might want to factor in is if you sell your house and buy a boat is it maybe very difficult to reverse the process, Boats tend to depreciate and houses have recently really appreciated. I think you can get a good feel of living aboard by cruising down the ICW and hanging out in the South for the Winter to see if you like it.

We've definitely scaled our plan back just a little, decided to hang on to the house for a couple more years but buy a trawler closer to home to use and learn on. Possibly live aboard for the season and commute to work. Possibly short term rental the house. But in the meantime we are still getting rid of everything and downsizing, to prepare for our eventual leap.

I would suggest to anyone considering living aboard to start out with weekends and vacations. After a while into work into longer stays, like a month. Then for an entire season. That is how we did it. I think if we dove straight into consecutive months from 'jump' it would have turned out very badly.

Even with that, we are on our second year of 5-6 months on, 6-7 months off.

My solution to losing the appreciation of the house after I sold it was to keep investing the amount I was paying for the mortgage pricipal. I sold the house, upped my 401K contribution to offset the loss of the appreciation of the house.

Liveaboard in Gloucester

I would suggest to anyone considering living aboard to start out with weekends and vacations. After a while into work into longer stays, like a month. Then for an entire season. That is how we did it. I think if we dove straight into consecutive months from 'jump' it would have turned out very badly.

Even with that, we are on our second year of 5-6 months on, 6-7 months off.

Speak for yourself,i jumped right in first day without a hiccup,within the first week of owning boat i had every thing I needed on board everything else in storage at my moms,and never looked back,that was Halloween day i brought Broadbill up from Rhode island and proceeded to strip foc'sle for insulation,so that is just your opinion,mine is totally opposite just go for it live live as it comes its more enjoyable that planning everything living on an itinerary that is for old boring people

Well I’m somewhere between the last two posts. I jumped in at the deep end, but I had my share of hiccups.

I’d owned a boat before but this was my first time living aboard. I’ve since sold the house and downsized significantly. I’m not particularly wealthy, and spent less than 100k on my boat, some of which is still financed.

I tried to share the good with the bad in my blog, which is at mvsylphide.com in case you haven’t read it.

As one of the "old boring people" Lostsailor13 identified, one thing learned in life, boring or not, is not "burning bridges". Living aboard is not for everyone, I never will except for vacation length periods, but I`d not want to sell the house I live in, only to find I wanted to return to it. I rather like having both at one time,and the luxury of choice.
As they say, one man`s fish is another man`s "poisson".

I’ll take a guess that LostSailor is not married.

I am not by nature a patient man, but I know what it takes to succeed in any individual strategy in my marriage. Jumping in with both feet ain’t it.

A lot depends on knowledge and experience when you make the decision to live aboard.

Some people should really take it slow, some not so much.

For every "I jumped into it" story, I be I have seen a dozen end in all sorts of disasters.

A different perspective...

I moved onboard full time when I bought my big 65 footer. I think that's the best way to own a big boat because it needs constant attention that you can only give when you are always there, even if living at a marina and commuting to a normal shoreside job.

BTW, zero regrets during that period, although I have to admit that since I was single at the time it did get a bit lonely during the time I was swinging at a mooring and rowing my "dingy" dinghy to shore. Life became more enjoyable when I started paying dockage and my friends could stop by. Now that I'm married I don't feel I would have those issues anymore.

We have lived aboard in San Diego for two years. We spend 6+ months on Whidbey Island in Washington State. So far, we LOVE living aboard! We purchased a 41' 2009 Mainship Expedition in the Seattle area and had it trucked down here. We had lived on land in San Diego for 10 years but the cost of real estate here has gone crazy so this is a great way to have waterfront without the huge expense of a condo or home. We've owned about 8 boats in 25 years starting with a 27' Sea Ray so have moved up gradually.

The jump all in idea....
I have not done it either way...just dreaming at this point, and my wife isn't fully on board with the idea either...
but I have thought about this from both sides
and this applies to either boating full time or full timing in an RV....
She's much more in the camp that IF and that's a big IF...If we were to do the full time thing, she would want to keep a home base, doing it part time...or perhaps renting the house out for a short while but it would give us something to come back to.

I'm of the opinion that anything we keep really just becomes an anchor keeping us close or pulling us back....which will detract from the fun of moving forward. It's kind of like hanging on the the worst parts of both worlds. The boat is neglegted when you go back home, the home is neglected when you're on the boat. When you're on the boat you're constantly wondering if the house is ok...or if there's a problem then you have to deal with it remote....

Also, the idea of staring out part time kinda steers a person to a smaller less capable and perhaps less comfortable boat, which changes the experience...maybe for the better but probably for the worse.

I'm of the opinion that a very careful all-in is the better approach. For a year...for 5 years...whatever.... and if you want to bail early because you find out it's not for you...then that's ok too.

YouTube is full of them. "We just bought a boat...whooho! How hard can it be?" Just one example was the couple 9to5less.:rolleyes:

We’ve been living aboard going on 11 years. I love it and my wife loves it. That’s the key ingredient. If one of you doesn’t like it you are doomed. Best to find out beforehand. Use your own formula to find out. Good luck

Great insights, thx!

Newby here considering the idea here as well, my wife is the catalyst and loves the idea, we have some time to think on it, as she retires in 3 yrs...

Downsizing is something we both feel we can do no problem, water conservation and less fresh food storage is our more difficult thought, as well as learning how to be a good safe boat user.. Haven't driven one much, so working on where to find the best education over the next couple of years.

Thx the great info on this community!
W

My experience....there are boating geeks that started with a rubber ducky and a plastic battleship in the tub. They have never been away from water and boats but a few years over many. They have owned boats or had full access to boats since somewhere near high school. They have owned and used a few extensively. For this group, moving aboard has few surprises.

For those that really don't have much experience, have never cruised longer than overnight....or amazingly enough have never even owned a boat with a cabin and want to live aboard....

All I can say is....any dream can be shattered by the smallest detail. Those without enough experience can only learn vicariously through reading, visiting, watching you tube, etc...etc...

Unfortunately that's like watching national geographic about climbing mountains, running rapids, sailing an ocean...etc...etc.

Not saying one can't do it and like it.... but how many do you think will? It's not like living on land unless a few stars align. It is somewhere like living a bit more rustic and independent, not as bad as camping, but much more tolerant of inconvenience. Some adapt, many don't.

thx for cautionary note

Good points psneeld,

I read this note as I was out on a mt bike ride, and it reminded me of how I have answered a similar question, can a fifty or sixty something move to the mountains and excel at a lifestyle of mt biking, skiing backcountry skiing etc without previous experience, I generally think not. These are skill, balance, decision intensive pastimes that are tough to pick up when you are in the second half of your life.
do you think the boat handling, navigation, captaining aspects are the biggest hurdle, or the minimalist lifestyle of small space living?
On that point, my wife and I spent a couple of months living from our panniers as we bike toured through europe, we lived in our VW campmobile for a year as we determined where we'd settle after a winter teaching skiing in Austria, and regularly take 3-5 day backcountry backpacking trips. Never slept on a boat though... !

Our thought here is similar to our campmobile year, spending quality time in the southeast where we have family (savannah, Charleston, pensacola) and the Caribbean to see where we may want to end up after 30 yrs in the mtn. Maybe BC as well, we have a daughter in Savanah and one in Squamish, BC.

Thx again, notes out to possible trainers...
Cheers!
Wade

After 4 military survival courses in my 20s and 30s...not too much phased me....after another 10-20 years of living in better and better luxury...I wasn't sure how far I would and know plenty that wouldn't retro to those austere conditions.

The past is just that unless one is dead serious that the future is best if the past is relived.

The jump all in idea....
I have not done it either way...just dreaming at this point, and my wife isn't fully on board with the idea either...
She's much more in the camp that IF and that's a big IF...If we were to do the full time thing, she would want to keep a home base, doing it part time...or perhaps renting the house out for a short while but it would give us something to come back to.

I'm of the opinion that anything we keep really just becomes an anchor keeping us close or pulling us back....which will detract from the fun of moving forward. It's kind of like hanging on the the worst parts of both worlds. The boat is neglegted when you go back home, the home is neglected when you're on the boat. When you're on the boat you're constantly wondering if the house is ok...or if there's a problem then you have to deal with it remote....

Also, the idea of staring out part time kinda steers a person to a smaller less capable and perhaps less comfortable boat, which changes the experience...maybe for the better but probably for the worse.

I'm of the opinion that a very careful all-in is the better approach. For a year...for 5 years...whatever.... and if you want to bail early because you find out it's not for you...then that's ok too.

Surely by now you've learned to translate each other and "IF" is likely more like "I have serious doubts" and your attitude is "come hell or high water". You force yours on her and it's guaranteed to fail. Plenty of people have moved gradually and maintained some home base. Most people who live aboard still have a home area in which they dock the most. There are those few who truly have no home area anymore and it varies year by year.

I don't see the biggest challenge as leaving the house behind, but it's leaving the "home." More carefully put, it's leaving people in your life behind. When we moved from NC to FL it was easy. We both worked full time and didn't have a lot of close family or friends to miss, just the kids at the orphanage near us so always had to carve regular visits there into our plans. However, now in FL we have a huge extended family and we could never be parted from them full time. This is the issue to fully address, family and friends. We're two weeks from our longest time ever away without a brief flight home. We haven't been home since June. We talk to those at home nearly every day on web cam. We exchange emails. Still we look so forward to being with them in October. We have incredible family with us, but we still miss those who are not.

I'm likely worse in this regard than my wife, although we're both bad in the separation. We've got Frank and Betty, our adopted parents. They live next door to us now. Haven't seen them since they flew home on July 18. That will make it about 3 months when we return. Also our friends who moved down with us from NC, who live on our property, not since June. These four are all in their upper 60's now and it terrifies us to think our remaining time with them is limited. Then at the other extreme, Aurora, our "niece", and her "cousin" Juliet, 7 year olds and haven't been with them since they flew home on August 1 and miss them both and going horseback riding with them at another friend's home, Alice and Rachel. We miss seeing the kids in NC and the school in SC. We miss others who are so close. We were once so independent. Honestly, we were reconciled to the fact that if something happened it could be both of us having to relocate and start over again. My wife had already been through this. We protected ourselves from relationships. If our privacy somehow got compromised, we didn't have that much to lose. But today, the thought of contacting friends and family and saying we can't ever communicate with you again is horrible, although highly unlikely. However, three months away from "home" really stretched our limits and it's going to hit well over that. Our normal is 6 weeks away, then home for three and that's where we're happy.

We've gone from one extreme to the other in our lives. We cruise with family and friends or extended family. My point is that it's not about the things or the house, but the other connections you have to people on land. Whether children or parents or grandchildren or siblings or whomever it is. Your best friends. There was a time we could have just check in twice a year, but that's not our life now. This is what each person and each couple must address. How long can you go without seeing "so and so" and "so and so." The pandemic likely tested you on much of it. How was it? Right now having typed this I'm in tears because Wifey B and I have just talked about the need to hug certain people. 30 years of my life, I really had no one and was convinced I needed no one. She was like that for 21 years. 12 years of our lives, we were convinced as long as we had each other, we were ok without anyone else. Now 9 years later and need our extended family more than words can express. Well, we've hit all extremes. Now you all have to figure out where you land.

Wifey B: Don't get us wrong as we're having the most fantabulous wonderlocious time cruising in Europe with 12 of our most awesomelish closest friends. Just be honest with yourselves as to how much you really need others in your life. You can also arrange for those you need most to join you periodically. This is where I adamantly fall out with the 2-4-6 (6 drinks, 4 meals, 2 sleep) group.

Hubby just sang this to me:

The jump all in idea....

It's sad listening to people laugh at or make jokes of persons who try and fulfil their dreams of adventure on a boat. Sadly it's not for everyone but until you do it you really can't properly judge if it's going to work for you or not.
Some times the advice given is to try it out on a smaller cheaper boat, but imo this may not provide the best chance for someone to experience boating (liveaboard) without compromising to much and then ending up not liking it due to the compromise.
In my situation it was a 2 1/2 year adventure of discovery into buying a boat before we found our little piece of paradise.
The missus, mother-in-law the dog and me spent the first night on the boat last night. The missus was dancing on the flybridge to Sun of Jamaica music, and the mother-in-law was whining about not having sugar for her tea :ermm:
The first night experience wasn't great! The missus threw up 5 times and went to toilet twice, the mother-in-law needed to go to the toilet like 3 times, the dog was walking around all night and all I could think about was how much boat work I will need to do. :eek:
We've just started the journey and I don't really know what will eventuate. It could be exactly what we've been looking for or it could be a disaster.

We did sell our house because we had been in it for over 30 years, had 2 children and one dog in it. We needed to downsize anyway so it was the right time to do it. We have bought a single bed apartment and will also look for something (2 or 3 Bed) as well for our after boating time. For me it's about being in the market so you aren't left behind in relation to prices (up or down).
Luckily I am still able to work and will be able to pay some of the bills without eating to much into our savings, (here's hoping).
I've tried to go into the boating experience with eyes wide open, BUT, am absolutely aware that it may or may not be what we expected.

Great insights, thx!

Newby here considering the idea here as well, my wife is the catalyst and loves the idea, we have some time to think on it, as she retires in 3 yrs...

Downsizing is something we both feel we can do no problem, water conservation and less fresh food storage is our more difficult thought, as well as learning how to be a good safe boat user.. Haven't driven one much, so working on where to find the best education over the next couple of years.

Thx the great info on this community!
W

Exactly the same with us. Our 2 1/2 year boat buying journey had ups and downs with lot's of almost buyers remorse and then bugger we missed out remorse. The emotional roller coaster ride is both debilitating and exhilarating. My wife was the positive one through it all. I would have dropped the dream quite a few times during the journey. We are now new owners of a liveaboard boat and I'm scared to death of it turning into a nightmare, but am equally excited about the adventure ahead.
What's life if it's not for living your dream and having some adventure? I could have easily lived my life as it's been for the last 15 years. Working 9 - 5, coming home having a beer, watching TV, taking a couple of weeks off work every year to maybe travel and done this year after year. Life would have been, well, boring, but safe.
We've committed to one year at least. We'll have ups and downs, of that I'm certain. If it doesn't work out at least I can say we gave our dreams a go!:thumb:

B&B, your dead wrong about my attitude being "come hell or high water".
I can go either way on it...or even skip the boat all together and do it in an RV instead.... or skip that and bounce from VRBO to VRBO.

But I am pretty much convinced that going at something half hearted is a fairly sure fire way to fail. No certainties in that of course, but in the context here ...letting go and travel vs holding on and travelling part time.....I think it's kinda the worst of both ways of doing it with few of the advantages of either one. Kind of like a hybrid car. It can work sure...very well for some people too....but still....

Anyway, you're spot on though about the "people connection" that is probably the single biggest anchor holding my wife down form the idea. A little to do with having a place where the kids can come home to where they grew up. Also a little to do with familiarity of the town and it being "home"...but mostly it's the idea of saying goodbye to friends and never seeing them again.

I look at it I think more like my sister's in-laws. Their kids are grown and somewhat scattered. They also have lots of friends scattered all over. A couple years ago, they put some stuff in storage, sold the house and downsized into a nice class A motorhome. They pretty much travel from friend to friend, staying a week or a month or whatever at a time. My understanding is that they are having a great time and reconnecting with friends from Alaska to I think Florida.

That aligns more with my vision....keep it simple while visiting family, friends, and just interesting places too.....for a few years and then at some point loop back around to settling either back here or perhaps some other place along the way that we like even better

B&B, your dead wrong about my attitude being "come hell or high water".
I can go either way on it...or even skip the boat all together and do it in an RV instead.... or skip that and bounce from VRBO to VRBO.

But I am pretty much convinced that going at something half hearted is a fairly sure fire way to fail. No certainties in that of course, but in the context here ...letting go and travel vs holding on and travelling part time.....I think it's kinda the worst of both ways of doing it with few of the advantages of either one. Kind of like a hybrid car. It can work sure...very well for some people too....but still....

Anyway, you're spot on though about the "people connection" that is probably the single biggest anchor holding my wife down form the idea. A little to do with having a place where the kids can come home to where they grew up. Also a little to do with familiarity of the town and it being "home"...but mostly it's the idea of saying goodbye to friends and never seeing them again.

I look at it I think more like my sister's in-laws. Their kids are grown and somewhat scattered. They also have lots of friends scattered all over. A couple years ago, they put some stuff in storage, sold the house and downsized into a nice class A motorhome. They pretty much travel from friend to friend, staying a week or a month or whatever at a time. My understanding is that they are having a great time and reconnecting with friends from Alaska to I think Florida.

That aligns more with my vision....keep it simple while visiting family, friends, and just interesting places too.....for a few years and then at some point loop back around to settling either back here or perhaps some other place along the way that we like even better

I accept being wrong then but not wrong about the conflict between you and your wife on this issue. My point is that you seem determined to forge ahead in spite of her not being on board with the plans. I don't see how that works. I don't see how all your determination makes up for saying goodbye to friends and never seeing them again and for not having a home for kids to come home to. I do see possible solutions but now is the time, in my opinion, to address them and work out compromise solutions before heading into the full time liveaboard plan.

I'll even toss a couple of ideas out.

-Agree to return to your home town for two weeks at least twice a year to visit with old friends. Find short term rentals or moderately priced hotels for that.
-Agree to holiday gatherings at your kids or alternating among kids but that the week between Christmas and New Years or that Thanksgiving week will always be the entire family together. Can be at your boat location supplemented by other lodging there.
-Agree to special times and dates of the year that you will be there for. Is it a child or grandchild's birthday or is it to celebrate an anniversary, but agree on those things of special importance.
-Agree if you'll always accompany her on these things or when you might not and on her always returning on schedule. In an ideal world, you'll both look forward to these special family or friend times and then you'll both look forward to returning to the boat. That's been our case, but our tolerance for being away from home isn't what yours is likely to be. However, when we reach our limit on the water, no matter how much we're enjoying it, we find ourselves so looking forward to home but a short time there and we're so excited to get back on the water.

I'm saying, just don't lock into an all or none plan that simply won't work for her, based on the information you've shared. That's how you end up with husband boating and wife back at home and basically a separated couple. Best of luck in communicating and sorting out what is right for both of you.

OK, I'll confess one of by biggest errors with thankfully no serious consequence.

I had competed in Key West Race Week in January 2001 and needed to move back to Long Island Sound in time for the new racing season. Set off north and almost as soon as I got to the edge of the Key West chart I had used for the racing week I searched in vain for the next chart kit. I was pretty sure it had not been left behind but I could find no trace. I kept this to myself and using my knowledge of the coast and Bahamas bank, continued as if there was no problem.

With 1,400 miles total to go, I used the USCG chart number locator freebie handout (the one that in big bold letters at the top says "do not use this for navigation") to plot our progress and sure enough, eight days later I arrived at the entrance to New York outer harbor with no issues. Phew.

About a week later I found all of the charts under the mattress in the forward cabin. To this day my crew have no idea that I did this.

Please, no lectures. I was young and foolish. The subsequent 20 years have provided me with the wisdom to NEVER pull such a stunt again.

Problem with threads like this and forums like this is too much emphasis on the boat and not enough on thr lifestyle. Experiences vary widely depending on age, finances, and family ties.

For the most part, living aboard sucks. There are many more reasons to dislike it than like it. You have to have s screw loose to like the lack of storage, the expense, the constant maintenance, subjugation to weather, etc.

I don't know why, but even though I just sold my house for a stupid amount, I'm sorry I ever bought the damn thing. Eager to move back aboard. Screw-loose by my own definition.

It's not about the boat. If goal is to emulate a house, well, probably won't work out in the end.

Peter

Lots of great ideas on this thread, and a few good stories.

I totally agree with BandB and Wifey... it's about people and our relationships. Even in full time cruising. My only minor experience with full time cruising was the great loop (which I'll repeat). While the trip was great and experience was great, the friendships made there are priceless... and will most likely remain forever. Worth the whole trip.

I am quite happy with my dirt home and doing small trips of a day or so to a week or so, and occasionally a loop or several month trip. However, want dirt and friends to come back to. I'll most likely never sell the home. While it's not irreplaceable, it would be VERY difficult to replace. It's not spectacular, but is in a secluded water cul-de-sac where I can only see the neighbors on one side, separated with a classic wooden fence. Off the ICW so no wake, yet can get there in a few minutes. Across is a pond and mangroves. I can run around buck naked without giving the neighbors nightmares, not that I would. But what makes it special is when we've put into it and adjusted it for our lifestyle.... and the neighbors, which are very difficult to replace, if not impossible.

Been boating and flying all my adult life, with the flying much more prominent than boating. However, switching over to more boating by a wide margin. Just have little use for the plane and barely fly enough to stay current, and I'm sure its days are numbered. The boating has become a way of life for us and it's been great.

While the lure of full time live aboard has shown some interest, the home is here to stay.

OK, I'll confess one of by biggest errors with thankfully no serious consequence.

I had competed in Key West Race Week in January 2001 and needed to move back to Long Island Sound in time for the new racing season. Set off north and almost as soon as I got to the edge of the Key West chart I had used for the racing week I searched in vain for the next chart kit. I was pretty sure it had not been left behind but I could find no trace. I kept this to myself and using my knowledge of the coast and Bahamas bank, continued as if there was no problem.

With 1,400 miles total to go, I used the USCG chart number locator freebie handout (the one that in big bold letters at the top says "do not use this for navigation") to plot our progress and sure enough, eight days later I arrived at the entrance to New York outer harbor with no issues. Phew.

About a week later I found all of the charts under the mattress in the forward cabin. To this day my crew have no idea that I did this.

Please, no lectures. I was young and foolish. The subsequent 20 years have provided me with the wisdom to NEVER pull such a stunt again.

What a story... I have a similar situation....

Took off in my TriPacer (cheap little plane) one day for a trip north. I didn't take out the charts for the first hundred miles or so as I knew the route by memory. However, needed to pick up my IFR clearance (when you fly thru the weather, and charts are needed), but couldn't find my charts. Actually, returned to home base to find them in the hangar.... Yes, young and stupid. I'm sure we all have "interesting" stories.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom