Any recommendations for rain gear in pacific north west?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
Just curious if anyone has favorites for those rainy fall days?

And footgear.

We have foul weather parkas from our days in the CG Auxiliary. They are made out of Goretex fabric and are wonderful. The hood does an excellent job of keeping your head dry. Not sure of a commercial source though.

My experience with Helly Hansen raingear is that it's a one-and-done purchase. A bit pricey, but delivers full value for every dollar. My H-H foul weather jacket has survived 39 years and countless miles afloat and ashore.

Helly Hansen, Fishermans in Seattle has a good selection. Grundys is also top notch but a bit heavy for general cruising. I carry two sets, one Helly Hansen for general use. and one cheap set for fishing, as it gets bloody and damaged a fair bit. The Helly is a size larger than what we need so that we can layer under it. The fishing set is spot on as most of the time we are working a bit and it gets hot.

Cabella's Goretex rain parka and associated trousers are great for general light/moderate duty to keep rain and spray off of you. I had my first parka that lasted from age 19 to 36 until a seam developed a leak after using it for a rain suit while kart racing. The replacement is still going strong with regular use; I am now near 59 years of age. I've used the first set mainly for bluewater fishing and it held up very well in a very active environment. Even fish blood and slime easily cleaned out in the washer. The original had fleece lined hand pockets which the newer version lacks....unfortunately.

My Helly Hanson is 30 years old, so I have no idea if what you would buy now would be as durable as the company has gone through change like everyone else. I will say that any of my rain gear is “hot” as it doesn’t breathe so well, goretex may be the answer. The one item I wear a ridiculous amount of time is a wool Gansey jumper. Pollen in Canada makes a good one, and I have a bespoke knitted one from the UK. Both get worn more than my rain gear (sometimes together). I can work in the rain and be warm and not feel wet until I come inside. I’ve had my Pollen about 25 years, it’s amazing and versatile. Big believer in wool.

Henri Lloyd makes somer of the best marine specific rain gear on the planet.

Musto is also a very good marine specific brand.

Last edited:
I like my West Marine suit, it's warm, very waterproof, and well designed. They replaced my 15 yo jacket when it began sheding the white fabric coating inside, no questions asked.

My Helly Hanson is 30 years old, so I have no idea if what you would buy now would be as durable as the company has gone through change like everyone else...

Unfortunately that's my experience -- Helly Hansen is a big, high-end name of course and commands very high prices. Lots of nautical cache' I know. My wife bought me a HH raincoat as a big Christmas present two years ago. I wouldn't buy anything HH again. After about one year the zipper started losing or bending teeth and won't zip up anymore, the zipper tab fell off (I replaced it with a small white zip-tie), the water-sealed cuffs are awkward (reminds me of a Viking drysuit I used as a commercial diver) and it's sweaty-hot, doesn't breathe for anything. Very disappointing. I did get a very good, very tough and heavy set of "foulies" on eBay by "Rockwater Designs." I'm sure it's just a Chinese knock-off marketing name but they're my favorite set so far. Whether the rain and wind is blasting horizontally on the boat or I'm shoveling snow at 30 below zero in February, this is my go-to gear for really bad weather. Very well made and still breathes (at least a little). Very tough for a low price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334120967854?hash=item4dcb295eae:g:3-kAAOSwVOlgqmuT

Gore Tex is fine for the occasional wet spot, but can damp out and your clothes get wet under it. It's hard to beat Grunden's for prolonged wet weather... That said I have two sets of Gore Tex and just stay in the cabin if it's REALLY wet out there. Gage by Grunden's seem to be very nice, but I have never tested my jacket in prolonged wet.

I had a full set of Gill when I was sailing a lot. Bib bottoms, jacket with sealing cuffs, shaped heavy-duty hood, waterproof pockets, etc.

That worked great (and I still have it all these years later). You could sit outside on watch for hours being pummeled with spray and remain relatively comfortable. Amazing.

But for myself I found that once I wasn't out in the elements sailing for hours on end I no longer needed it. Now I buy a high quality set from a good camping/hiking type brand that is much lighter. Doesn't have the "sit out in the spray all day" features but I don't need them, and it's much easier to toss around, stow, and wear. Also nicer for walking into town or hiking when on boat trips (or other times).

This may not apply to you, and you may still want the top end sailing (or fishing) specialty gear. I can't speak to other brands, but Gill had a "coastal" and an "offshore" category for their foulies back then.

PS: For footgear it depends. I tend to either wear knee-high rubber boots, neoprene booties with soles (from kayaking), or just sandals (with toe protection). The latter because if it's warm enough to go that way, skin is like the ultimate Gore Tex. Breathes, dries instantly, and keeps the water out :D (Obviously not always appropriate though.)

Last edited:
I had a full set of Gill when I was sailing a lot. Bib bottoms, jacket with sealing cuffs, shaped heavy-duty hood, waterproof pockets, etc.

That worked great (and I still have it all these years later). You could sit outside on watch for hours being pummeled with spray and remain relatively comfortable. Amazing.

But for myself I found that once I wasn't out in the elements sailing for hours on end I no longer needed it. Now I buy a high quality set from a good camping/hiking type brand that is much lighter. Doesn't have the "sit out in the spray all day" features but I don't need them, and it's much easier to toss around, stow, and wear. Also nicer for walking into town or hiking when on boat trips (or other times).

This may not apply to you, and you may still want the top end sailing (or fishing) specialty gear. I can't speak to other brands, but Gill had a "coastal" and an "offshore" category for their foulies back then.

Yes it depends on the time you spend outside in the rain and the work you do when out there.

Here in my part of Alaska we get twice the annual rainfall as Seattle.
Years ago I figured out that the sailing community had devised gear that works in very wet conditions for prolonged periods of time.

BTW gill is another very well designed foul weather gear brand.

I have a set of Line 7. Had them for 35 years. Still waterproof and in good shape. Problem is they don’t let the water out either. After a good day sailing you are as wet inside from sweat as you are on the outside from rain.

I don’t need really heavy gear. Mainly when it’s raining to pull up or set an anchor or dock. I guess lighter weight gore tex is the answer.

My father has some serious stuff from his offshore sailing days…that would almost stand up by itself in the closet!

Gore Tex is fine for the occasional wet spot, but can damp out and your clothes get wet under it. It's hard to beat Grunden's for prolonged wet weather... That said I have two sets of Gore Tex and just stay in the cabin if it's REALLY wet out there. Gage by Grunden's seem to be very nice, but I have never tested my jacket in prolonged wet.

Doug has it right. Gortex and similar breathables are fine, but when its really coming down in buckets, Grundens or Helly Hansen is the ticket. I also have and use both, breathables and the heavy stuff. Check out 'Deadliest Catch' for what they wear...Grunden's :thumb:

My experience with Helly Hansen raingear is that it's a one-and-done purchase. A bit pricey, but delivers full value for every dollar. My H-H foul weather jacket has survived 39 years and countless miles afloat and ashore.
I00%

Boggs boots

A Tilley T3 Wanderer hat works great in the sun and rain. The wide brim is pretty good at keeping rain off your neck so you don't have to have a hood up. If your thinking about short bouts on deck a casual breathable rain jacket will do fine. However get one that provides good coverage when you bend over on deck or in the dinghy, etc. If you want to hang with the seabirds for hours on end in the rain then I'd chase down some quality gear with water proof zippers or flaps. Pit zips are also nice if you have to be active in the rain to help ventilate.

I have some Cabela's Guide Wear Gore-Tex gear, mix and match set of jacket (with hood) and trousers.

Decent for rain, gets a bit warm, not great for our hot summer use...

-Chris

Wait, it rains in the PNW?!?

I did get a very good, very tough and heavy set of "foulies" on eBay by "Rockwater Designs." I'm sure it's just a Chinese knock-off marketing name but they're my favorite set so far. Whether the rain and wind is blasting horizontally on the boat or I'm shoveling snow at 30 below zero in February, this is my go-to gear for really bad weather. Very well made and still breathes (at least a little). Very tough for a low price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334120967854?hash=item4dcb295eae:g:3-kAAOSwVOlgqmuT

I bought this exact set about 6 years ago. I forget what I paid, but it was so cheap I figured even if I only got a year or two out of it I was OK with it. I've used these foulies extensively for fowl weather sailing and racing up here in the PNW ever since, and couldn't be happier. Warm, dry, comfortable, durable.

I00%

Boggs boots

I strongly second Boggs (or Muckers, same basic thing). Very waterproof, insulated and warm, and holds up well to abuse.

I've found that the stuff that really keeps you dry is not breathable. If you're exerting yourself, you'll eventually get wet from perspiration. I'm talking the super heavy duty PVC type rain gear. But it will keep the rain out.

If you need to move about, get the Goretex or other breathable type, but it will not keep the monsoon at bay forever.

Helly Hansen was bought outright by Canadian Tire (from the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan) I don't think the quality is the same as when it was headquartered in Norway personally. Well, at least the lower end stuff.

For a lower price and similar quality Viking makes OK stuff. The Viking yachting boot has great non-marring grip. The yellow one with the laces in the back.

I usually just wear lightweight hiking gear, Arcteryx or Patagonia, as I'm not really outdoors much when actually on the boat.

Second the Pollen sweater that ghost recommended. Wear it all the time from October to April.

I have some Viking foul weather gear that pretty much hangs in the locker.

Grundens is popular with the fishing crowd here.

I had Gill stuff in my college sailing days. Sat many an hour on the rail in them.

Had Gill. Seams failed in first year. They did replace at no cost (good on them) but then those failed after 4 months.
Had the offshore version WM stuff. They ripped and never kept me dry anyway.
Finally bit the bullet and got Musto. Head and shoulders above anything else including H-H ( seals better and more comfy at neck, wrists and hood actually stays in place without obstructing vision). Waited until some price reduction. When it’s really frigid use the neoprene suit scuba divers use after a dive under the foulies or just wear a mustang immersion suit. Now a powerboater hope to never need that again.
Same with boots. Have tried them all. As a gift (loving wife) got DuBarry. Again dramatically better than anything else on the market.
We have two sets of foulies for both the wife and I. One set is warm water. It’s any gortex suit that’s comfortable. May be from camping, golf, fishing or any outdoor store that’s running a sale and selling good stuff. Members of REI and get Sierra stuff. They are usually good source.
The other sets are Musto/Dubarrys

Last edited:
Helly Hansen was bought outright by Canadian Tire (from the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan) I don't think the quality is the same as when it was headquartered in Norway personally. Well, at least the lower end stuff...

I believe my wife bought my HH raincoat at the brand's retail store on Thames Street in Newport, RI. Didn't know they sold any lower end items -- heck, a shoelace in that store costs $100. She bought me a "Salt Coastal Jacket" with reflectors and all that stuff on the sleeves so they can find my body floating in the water with a searchlight. But then if none of the zippers work it might float off my body and do me no good. We'll maybe try Lloyd or Gill next time.

I agree some the waterproof foulies are too heavy. I wear the Grundens Neptune Anorak and Bids. They are waterproof but a bit lighter weight then the heavyweight offerings and for me perfect for the PNW and SE Alaska weather.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom