Rainy season blues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apagano

Veteran Member
I am pretty much in the process of restoring and repairing a 1977 Marine trader 40 ft Double Cabin while we live aboard.
Port and starboard sliding doors are letting the weather in like mad! The doors are completely exposed to the weather, no overhangs or awnings. It seems to me a design flaw that I need to solve.
Has anyone here faced a similar challenge? Can anyone offer some advice or ideas?
Thanks
APAGANO

A simple fix is to make covers out of Stamoid. It is waterproof. It is also a bit translucent if you get white. An aluminum keder strip across the top will seal it up. Yes, you will have to remove them to go in and out but they will keep the rain out for a fairly reasonable cost.

I am not familiar with Keder Strips . I have googled them and I am now trying to see how it applies to my problem. Also, if I were to fabricate a cover for the doorways that would block entrance and exit.i can not imagine that the manufacturer would allow such a design fla to pass.

I know it would block access, but maybe just put them up when you aren’t going in or out. Or when not using the boat. Go to Sailrite.com and search on keder. It will make a top edge that rain shouldn’t get through.

I made covers for all directly exposed windows and doors. Works great.

Attachments

• 20201225_132424.jpg
    20201225_132424.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 18
I am pretty much in the process of restoring and repairing a 1977 Marine trader 40 ft Double Cabin while we live aboard.
Port and starboard sliding doors are letting the weather in like mad! The doors are completely exposed to the weather, no overhangs or awnings. It seems to me a design flaw that I need to solve.
Has anyone here faced a similar challenge? Can anyone offer some advice or ideas?
Thanks
APAGANO

mine had a seal that grabbed on the inside of the door and destroyed the laminate on the door . I have an idea to make new doors from Coosa board and add a ledge at the back with a seal that only hits when the door is all the way closed. and also a seal in the front inner pocket . .it works in my mind any way . mounting the windows is the only thing that may be tricky as i would like to do away with the wood trim also .

Thanks
APAGANO

Others have offered some patches. However, I'd suggest overhangs or awnings. I'd go to a home supplier and look at some. Most would extend further than you need but they come in all sizes.

Where did you come up with the name Tatoosh?

Its the name of a mountain range and a river in the PNW. Wanted to get a NW style boat a good strong NW name.

But most importantly, it is Alaskan Indian slang for boobs. :socool:

Its the name of a mountain range and a river in the PNW. Wanted to get a NW style boat a good strong NW name.

But most importantly, it is Alaskan Indian slang for boobs. :socool:

And also I think the northern most island in the San Juan’s or somewhere I used to fly over.

Edit:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatoosh_Island,_Washington

A Seattle friend’s big boat was named Tatoosh years ago, hence why I was curious!

A garage door brush seal works wonders for the giant air gap on the aft end of the door.

Sold in strips with various brush lengths, takes about 20 minutes to install.

I think I learned about this technique here on TW many years ago. Also helps with the door’s tendency to rattle when the engine is idling.

My door next to the helm had a huge air gap. When a cold wind came from aft it was really uncomfortable at the helm. A couple of soft rubber door sweeps cut that down 95%, enough that it is hardly noticeable. I did the same on the door to the cockpit. Hard to imagine that somebody put up with that for 40 years.

Others have offered some patches. However, I'd suggest overhangs or awnings. I'd go to a home supplier and look at some. Most would extend further than you need but they come in all sizes.

A garage door brush seal works wonders for the giant air gap on the aft end of the door.

Sold in strips with various brush lengths, takes about 20 minutes to install.

I think I learned about this technique here on TW many years ago. Also helps with the door’s tendency to rattle when the engine is idling.
I'd give a tick to both of the above, as the door strip trick definitely works to block vertical draft-causing gaps.

However, a refinement of the canopy idea could be to get your local frame welder guy to make a frame that effectively, when screwed to the cabin top, with a bracing bracket at each end, with maybe a similar support about half way along, then covered by canvas from your local marine canopy guy, makes like an extended hard-top over the whole side of the cabin which then gives nice shade and weather protection to each side. I had this done to our sedan style CHB34, which did not have the extended hard-top covering side decks and cockpit later models did, as seen in the pics below. It could be adapted to cover the necessary for an aft cabin boat I'm sure.

Attachments

• EFA43C0F-B230-4DEA-A2D1-6645F9F45D83_1_105_c.jpeg
    EFA43C0F-B230-4DEA-A2D1-6645F9F45D83_1_105_c.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 11
  • 656BE041-908A-46BD-91EB-5B104DFC1E06_1_105_c.jpeg
    656BE041-908A-46BD-91EB-5B104DFC1E06_1_105_c.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 0BA8779C-9669-41DC-BD8E-C192325B4CB2_1_105_c.jpeg
    0BA8779C-9669-41DC-BD8E-C192325B4CB2_1_105_c.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 77B4EAFD-90E1-4C63-B525-3A72FC4B4D8A_1_105_c.jpeg
    77B4EAFD-90E1-4C63-B525-3A72FC4B4D8A_1_105_c.jpeg