Finally moving again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B. T. (Before Travelift)

Went to the Toulon Naval History Museum today. Apparently, Toulon was for centuries -- and is now -- an important naval center for France. 2/3 of the French Navy's ships are stationed here, including the Charles de Gaulle nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. (We could see this carrier upon arriving at the port.) Ships are no longer built here, but it remains an important center for maintenance and repairs.

The museum is a fine display of French naval history. One exhibit, in particular, caught my eye. It was a model showing how a French ship was repaired in the 18th century after hitting a coral reef off of Tahiti.

The cannons and everything heavy were offloaded to shore.
The ship's capstans were offloaded and set up on land.

A clever arrangement of beams, rope and capstans allowed the ship to be tipped on its side for bottom repairs. The cannons and heavy cargo were used as weights to facilitate the operation. The museum's English translation described this process as "careening", even though little help from the tide was involved.

Attachments

• ToulonNV1.jpg
    ToulonNV1.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 21
  • toulonNV2.jpg
    toulonNV2.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 20
  • ToulonNV3.jpg
    ToulonNV3.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 20
Camels...

Another exhibit in the Toulon Naval Maritime History Museum that caught my eye...

At one point, France was having ships built in Venice. The canals were not deep enough to accommodate the movement of finished ships to sea. The workaround? "Camels".

Barges ("Camels") were placed along the entire length of each side of the ship. They were filled with water and submerged. Wooden beams were placed through the ship's canon ports as a means of support, and then the barges were pumped dry, floating the ship to a much higher level.

Attachments

• ToulonCamels1.jpg
    ToulonCamels1.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 22
  • ToulonCamels2.jpg
    ToulonCamels2.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 20
  • ToulonCamels3.jpg
    ToulonCamels3.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 19
I know next to nothing about naval ships. What might be the real purpose of that dome? To protect radar equipment, perhaps??? Satellite communication??

Judging from the paint job of the ship, I suspect the ship was "getting up in years" so I would guess, an early form of RADAR meant for shore base.

Last edited:
Wifey B: Soap is good. :D Unfortunately, we're limited to fragrance free due to someone's allergies, not to point a finger.

One thing I still find fascinating is how to cities can be relatively close and take on very different characteristics with their history and their current makeup. Sad part of the time we've had here is how much we haven't seen.

And the med conditions right now have been so calm something like 80% of the days with just occasional rougher seas. This morning from Ibiza to Palma was 1' seas. I'm sure you're really enjoying your day trips. Hope you get to the other places you have planned. :speed boat:
We have been very fortunate with the weather, for the most part. Had one 50 nm day that was supposed to start out calm and end with about 2' seas. It did, in fact, start out calm...but the last three hours were in about 4' seas, which is a lot of discomfort for us. Normally, I would go for a "plan B port" in this kind of weather, but our "plans B" were limited due to the mind boggling number of restricted navigation areas around Marseille (port traffic control, military firing ranges, national aquatic park limitations, etc.).

Normally, I would go for a "plan B port" in this kind of weather, but our "plans B" were limited due to the mind boggling number of restricted navigation areas around Marseille (port traffic control, military firing ranges, national aquatic park limitations, etc.).

Wifey B: Try Cannes during the Cannes Yachting Festival. :rofl:

I enjoyed learning about the mechanical ingenuity of the ship careening and the camels. Thanks for taking the time to add the photos and explain it.

I'm amazed at what some people's minds can figure out --- and then carry out.

I enjoyed learning about the mechanical ingenuity of the ship careening and the camels. Thanks for taking the time to add the photos and explain it.

I'm amazed at what some people's minds can figure out --- and then carry out.

Camels were new to me. Enjoyed it as well. That's like Mules they use to assist you through the Panama Canal. I don't know if the term is used elsewhere or not.

Ahem...bringing this thread back to something closer to its original intent...

We saw a couple of interesting sculptures yesterday, while walking around Toulon.
(Click on pictures to enlarge)

Attachments

• TL1.jpg
    TL1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 23
  • TL2.jpg
    TL2.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 20
  • TL3.jpg
    TL3.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 18
  • TL5.jpg
    TL5.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
They stacked the boats like that on purpose?
Looks like the aftermath of a hurricane.

They stacked the boats like that on purpose?
Looks like the aftermath of a hurricane.

Yes. The second picture explains about the artist who did this.

I once saw a definition of good art that I have come to think of as spot-on. It goes something like this:

"It doesn't matter whether you like the specific work or not. If it makes you stop and think, then it has achieved its objective."

Île de Porquerolles today. A fine and VERY active harbor here. Apparently a Grand Banks meet of some sort in progress. About a dozen 42-48' footers here. All from France, with the exception of one from Germany.

Yes. The second picture explains about the artist who did this.

I once saw a definition of good art that I have come to think of as spot-on. It goes something like this:

"It doesn't matter whether you like the specific work or not. If it makes you stop and think, then it has achieved its objective."

I thought the first picture was hurricane damage.
The second picture, knowing the price of bronze props, what a waste of money and bronze.
I guess, I just dont know art.

Wifey B: I don't know art like a true professional does although have bought and sold a bunch of it. However, that's a piece that I find very interesting and I like novel and unique works. It's amazing how certain things become landmarks like the big chicken on top of a building and everyone in town uses it as directions. I can see people here saying go to the shipwreck art piece and I'll meet you there. I don't love it, not dying to have one at home, but I think it's kind of cool. :)

Wifey B: I don't know art like a true professional does although have bought and sold a bunch of it. However, that's a piece that I find very interesting and I like novel and unique works. It's amazing how certain things become landmarks like the big chicken on top of a building and everyone in town uses it as directions. I can see people here saying go to the shipwreck art piece and I'll meet you there. I don't love it, not dying to have one at home, but I think it's kind of cool. :)

Wifey, I didn't know you live close to the Big Chicken.
Remember the hassle when either the city or county told them, they could not put it back up after the storm damage? I guess they got too many angry complaints so they let them put up a new and improved version. LOL

Yes, giving directions in Cobb County.... "Go to the Big Chicken and then....."
I live off of P'tree Ind Blvd.

Last edited:
Wifey, I didn't know you live close to the Big Chicken.
Remember the hassle when either the city or county told them, they could not put it back up after the storm damage? I guess they got too many angry complaints so they let them put up a new and improved version. LOL

Yes, giving directions in Cobb County.... "Go to the Big Chicken and then....."
I live off of P'tree Ind Blvd.

Wifey B: I don't, but familiar with it. I live in Paradise, otherwise known as Fort Lauderdale. Haven't been there since June though and in spite of having tons and tons of fun, boatloads of fun, getting a bit homesick for all my extended family there. Don't get home until October though. :)

Wifey B: I don't, but familiar with it. I live in Paradise, otherwise known as Fort Lauderdale. Haven't been there since June though and in spite of having tons and tons of fun, boatloads of fun, getting a bit homesick for all my extended family there. Don't get home until October though. :)

I go back March until my taxes are paid then, catch a flight out and back to the boat.
My boat is in Aventura and that's not a shabby place to live. They joke about the only city named after a mall, Aventura Mall. Nearest beach to walk on is in Hollywood. The horse track used to be within walking distance, but the legs are giving out.... plus, I have a 'cripple sticker' aka 'handicap sticker' CHUCKLE
I went one time before it was rebuilt. It was 'free hot dog day.' I have not been back. They have lots of restaurants and few other type store but nothing like the board walk at Ft Lauderdale with shops that have 3 prices for everything.

Here are two I have always liked, that are in a similar vein:

1) "Prop trees," made with damaged props that were being replaced.

2) Canoes (my favorite, which the art Scott showed made me think of).

Attachments

• Prop Tree.jpg
    Prop Tree.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Canoe art.jpg
    Canoe art.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Here are two I have always liked, that are in a similar vein:

1) "Prop trees," made with damaged props that were being replaced.

2) Canoes (my favorite, which the art Scott showed made me think of).

I like the prop trees! Far more exotic and dramatic than my prop sculpture!

Two photos from Île de Poquerolles:
1) Evidence of rather constant winds. Driftwood bonsai??
2) My "clean-out-the-refrigerator" carpaccio/mozzarella/pepper/tomato dinner

Attachments

• Poquerolles1jpg.jpg
    Poquerolles1jpg.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Carpaccio1.jpg
    Carpaccio1.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Wifey B: We saw some real beauty on the Riviera, but no photos and if we had any they couldn't be posted here. :lol:

But it IS!!! I’m a 64 year old female veterinarian and I swear that TravelLifts (by any name) bring out the 9 year old boy in me! I love those BIG TRUCKS and am seriously impressed by the skills of expert heavy-equipment operators. I think it helps that my husband is a building contractor and I’ve had his input for years and exposure to some very talented craftsmen/artisans.

Wifey B: We saw some real beauty on the Riviera, but no photos and if we had any they couldn't be posted here. :lol:

I read the number of those beauties have reduced by 40% over the last 5 years or so. Maybe I could open up a concession stand to apply sun screen? I do hope they dont charge me too much. :whistling::D

Last edited:
Spotted while we were in Port Bormes-Les-Mimosas -- THE REAL McCoy!
(Click on pictures to enlarge).

As you can see in the top photo, this was a less-than-perfect-weather day...

Attachments

• B_TL1.jpg
    B_TL1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 29
  • B_TL2.jpg
    B_TL2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 33
Spotted while we were in Port Bormes-Les-Mimosas -- THE REAL McCoy!
(Click on pictures to enlarge).

As you can see in the top photo, this was a less-than-perfect-weather day...

I haven't remembered to look, but if the ones built in Sturgeon Bay are the "Marine Travelift" brand ones, then the current Shumway lifts are likely built elsewhere, as they're a different brand (and different design for sling attachment).

1) Lighthouse with an artistic touch at the entrance to the Port of Saint Tropez

2) Also spotted at Saint Tropez

Attachments

• ST_LH.jpg
    ST_LH.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 15
  • ST_V.jpg
    ST_V.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 24
Reminded me of one particular user on TF...

Attachments

• ST_FF.jpg
    ST_FF.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 18
Reminded me of another particular user on TF....

Attachments

• ST_R1.jpg
    ST_R1.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 19
  • ST_R2.jpg
    ST_R2.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 17
  • ST_R3.jpg
    ST_R3.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 18
  • ST_R4.jpg
    ST_R4.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 16
Scott, it's a pity you didn't get to St Tropez just a coupla weeks earlier, as the Sail GP races with the foiling 50' cats raced there about then. I watched it on Foxtel. The winds were light though, so several of the races were shortened in time, and there were no major dramas. :)

Reminded me of another particular user on TF....

Actually - the third picture is not a Riva - but, as I discovered later, a J-Craft.

2) Also spotted at Saint Tropez

Relevant to the picture of the van the guy is living in...
The sign in French says, basically, "my ex-wife had a better lawyer than I did..."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom