Groco ARG-750 A/C strainer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaFlorida

Veteran Member
Hello, we have a Groco A/C strainer. Unfortunately the sea grass collects at the very top of the plastic basket. Which clogs the system and the A/C system shuts down.

Wish that the basket diameter was larger, this way the grass would collect down inside the basket.

The existing basket diameter is only 1.9”. Wish that the strainer was larger.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Maybe there is an easy fix?

Thanks,
Linda

Could it be in upside down?

Another thing to check: the basket has a bale loop on the top you use to extract it to clean. The design allows you to put this in with the bale turned 90 degrees, obstructing the flow of debris into the basket. You want to make sure that the bale is turned 90 degrees to the flow, which is parallel to the inlet and outlet.

Groco also sells several different baskets for the filter, a different one might be more appropriate. I had the standard Monel version, and found that Cedar tree needles would go right through the holes and stick in the water pump. Bought the fine mesh version and no more trouble.

Make sure the water slow direction is correct through the strainer. I had one once that was installed with reverse flow.

HopCar, I really like the idea of APHS screen strainer. My concern is that the small holes might get clogged by the zebra mussel severe problem that we have here during the summer months.
Unfortunately I do not have the capability to attach a photo showing the clogged internal strainer.
Were you able to bond the APHS strainer?
Thank you,

Twistedtree, I was kind of hoping that you might be right. I found a photo and zoomed in. The inlet and outlet metal parts are “marked”.
The strainer was installed correctly.
Thanks,

DDW, we found that the basket loop has to be installed correctly as you mentioned. Otherwise the problem with grass collecting on top of the basket becomes worse.

We do not have a problem with pine needles.

Thanks,

Here is a photo of our Groco strainer starting to clog with zebra mussels.

Thank goodness for Barnacle Buster!

Attachments

• 0476F983-4A98-447C-8167-A55F0A31B304.jpg
    0476F983-4A98-447C-8167-A55F0A31B304.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 22
Ugh, we have a tiny Shurflo on the raw water line for our freezer. The canister is barely a cup in size. Darned thing clogs up in a week with the warm temps lately. No mussels, just some random silt-like growth.

It was so bad last time the line back to the seacock was also clogged. Popped the line off the seacock and nothing! I had to blast water from the hose into the opened seacock to purge it.

The growth/filth seems to have invaded the plastic. That and I can't get the 50 mesh screen clean anymore, nor the canister, so I'm replacing the whole thing. I'd love to find something with just a larger canister, without resorting to a much larger unit overall.

The existing Groco A/C strainer has 3/4” intake and outtake hoses. If we installed a larger water strainer/basket we would have to increase the hoses or possibly add some kind of adapter/reducers. A larger strainer has up to 2” - 3” hose connections.

Really do not want to install a larger thru hull seacock too. I’m sure by adding a larger strainer and wider basket would solve this constant problem.

The existing Groco A/C strainer has 3/4” intake and outtake hoses. If we installed a larger water strainer/basket we would have to increase the hoses or possibly add some kind of adapter/reducers. A larger strainer has up to 2” - 3” hose connections.

Really do not want to install a larger thru hull seacock too. I’m sure by adding a larger strainer and wider basket would solve this constant problem.

I'm with you on the "let's not mess with the existing though-hull" vibe.

I don't need added flow rate, just added collection capacity to give me at least an extra week in-between cleanings.

My boat has strainers over the engine and AC intake thru hulls. Grass cannot get in.

I'm going to talk with our AC guy this winter about rigging up some sort of flushing scheme for our AC manifold and hoses.

I just wanted to share the information that Groco sent in reference to the sea grass clogging the strainer basket.

“The problem you have with seagrass is hard to resolve.
adding a APHS series will help but then there's the zebra mussels blocking the screen holes.
SLOTTED SCOOPS OR SCREEN SCOOPS which is the better solution.
Here are some or the answer from other customers with the same issues.
Increase the internal strainer to a larger size to filter longer and to reduce vacuum
suction. this helps keep grass from being suck in and the filter cleaner longer.
2.IF for the AC systems and you sit at the dock mostly a larger round scoop RSC-1000/RSC-2000 might do the trick
or turning a slotted scoop SC-1000/SC-1500 WITH MOUNT RING backwards so weeds roll over and away.
Mussel can be cleaned out more or less because the RSC opens like a clam shell and the SC removes from
the mount ring for cleaning.
NO perfect solution but i hope this help some on the problems.
Call us for more info if needed.
Regards
Patrick”

HopCar, I really like the idea of APHS screen strainer. My concern is that the small holes might get clogged by the zebra mussel severe problem that we have here during the summer months.
Unfortunately I do not have the capability to attach a photo showing the clogged internal strainer.
Were you able to bond the APHS strainer?
Thank you,

If you are in salt water zebra mussel are not a concern. You do get barnacles but they don’t build as fast as zebra mussel. I also used a larger APHS than needed to give more open area. It takes longer for growth to block the holes. You can also paint it with anti-fouling paint. Be sure to go back and open the holes after the paint dries. I used an ice pick.

I didn’t bond mine, I just mounted it with tapping screws
If you want to bond it you would just need to use a machine screw that goes all the way through the hull.

Not an easy fix but look at the Groco 911. It requires an additional discharge line to pump out the garbage. It is programmable with their controller so no more cleaning strainers late at night to get the AC back on.

Back
Top Bottom