View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 12:49 PM   #16
gt350ed

City: Quartzsite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
In the Anacortes area, slips are pretty hard to come by. Long wait times (years). In LaConner, you can get covered storage, but again I think there is normally a wait list.

Back in Anacortes, there are four or five companies that do dry storage, meaning in a parking lot on blocks. Some have the option to provide power to the boat, and I would go there so that you can keep the dehumidifier on. There are also at least two places with indoor enclosed storage, but it is pricey.

One problem with commuter cruising there is if you keep the boat in dry storage but want to move to a slip for the 6 months in season, the wait list for slips becomes a huge obstacle. And if you have found a slip you do not want to give it up for 6 months of dry storage because you will lose it and go to the back of the list, so now you are paying for an empty slip (may be able to sublet but probably not).

An additional problem for the commuter cruiser in Washington state is that either taxes must be paid to the state on purchase, or it must leave the waters of the state of Washington within 60 days. If an inexpensive boat you pay the tax and forget about it, but it is a substantial bit of change on an expensive boat (9-10% of value). The way the statute is written, that is 60 days "use" which implies it is in the water for that time. So dry storage may not count. If you arrive, splash the boat, and leave for Canada then dry storage makes sense - don't need a slip for 6 months and not in the waters of the State of Washington for 60 days.
I was with you until the "leave for Canada" part . I have no plans to go to Canada unless on water at some point way down the "experience" road. As for taxes, I'll be paying them at purchase. Still working on one marina slip and one or two dry storage locations, all in La Conner. We'll see .
gt350ed is offline   Reply With Quote