6 months in water at marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gt350ed

Newbie here. May have a fiberglass Tolly in the slip in Anacortes, Wa. for 6 months. All is clean at present...bottom, upper structures brightwork, twin Chrysler's, good zinc's, etc.

What can I expect to happen or "see" when I get there, say, in April. Damage, corrosion? Measurable? Probably plan a haul out at end of summer next year or....?

Suggestions?

gt, that's quite a commute from Quartzsite to Anacortes to go boating.

I think you'll find the correct answers by asking those in the slips around you. They've been there, done that and have the t-shirt to prove it.

Have fun boating up there. That's some beautiful country to boat in.

gt, that's quite a commute from Quartzsite to Anacortes to go boating.

I think you'll find the correct answers by asking those in the slips around you. They've been there, done that and have the t-shirt to prove it.

Have fun boating up there. That's some beautiful country to boat in.

Six months in each location is not a "commute". More like a road trip. ?
As for finding answers, I'm more interested in *been there, done that" from forum members. I already ordered the t-shirt online.?

To clarify, I'm in the planning stage. No boat in slip as yet. I understand about local knowledge but I'd like to tap into this knowledge base until I'm "local". Thanks.

Last edited:
How crapped up the bottom of the boat becomes is marina (location) dependent. In one marina my boat bottom was not in great shape after one year, in another marina the boat bottom was still not to bad after three years.
Also how exposed the marina to winds and currents is another factor. And the location of the boat in the marina also is a factor. Do other boats around you offer protection for your boat?

I've kept a boat in the general area for 6 years now, always left from about Sept-Oct until Mar-Apr. The deck will be dirty and maybe a little moldy and require a good washing. The bottom will probably have some soft growth. You could hire a diver to clean it once every two months (provided it has hard paint - cleaning ablatives is prohibited in Washington). I would strongly recommend running a dehumidifier inside the entire time, set to 50-55%.

I'd change the oils and drain the water and holding tanks before you leave. Most boats left in the water in Anacortes don't get winterized.

There are boat watch services that will check on it periodically. There are also a number of dry storage facilities if you want to winter it on the hard - but you may want to winterize some systems then.

My opinion is similar to DDW. The top sides are going to be dirty with black streaks and some green algae. How easily it cleans up depends on how much hull oxidation was there to start. If you left the boat freshly buffed and waxed then a quick wash is all you need. If the boat was oxidized when you left then a buffing may be required.

As for the bottom. If properly bottom painted then I would just send a diver down at the beginning of the season to clean off the soft growth and to scrape the props clean.

As for the insides. A dehumidifier is a good addition, keeping the boat heated to 50 degrees year round also goes a long way. I have never had mildew issues but I always keep my boat heated to 68 degrees.

Your biggest threat at Anacortes is probably from the Otters. They don't steal, they just leave fish crap all over.

Not much growth during the winter in the PNW. We have a diver clean in October and then again in April. Then every three months during the summer. Just make sure you set up some heat below 40 deg F and run a dehumidifier during the day while you are gone.

Being that far away, look into Wifi connectivity and cameras. We use Blink cameras. Wireless and Li-Ion batteries -> no installation. They will notify you upon movement and also show temperatures in the boat. You can take a look at your boat in real-time whenever you want.

I'd consider hiring someone for basic winter watch. E.g. once a week check dock connection, bilges etc. When a storm comes through, it is good to have someone check lines, fenders, etc. About $100+ per month but worth the peace of mind. Last year we had a foot of snow (Sidney). Good to have someone capable to get most of it off.

If you know you are not going to use the boat for 6 months, you might consider dry storage. You'll save some money but should fully winterize.

Finally, if you keep the boat in the water, be aware of the tax consequences for an out of state owner.

Last edited:
Hiring a 'winter watch' for weekly visits is a good plan, you being so far away from the boat. Since we travel during the winter, I also have a security system that sends me, and the winter watch guys, a text message if the bilge pump runs or if there is high bilge water, plus entry into the boat. Cameras are good. A dehumidifier is desirable in this region.

There are several marinas in Anacortes. Which one are you thinking about? Also, covered or uncovered?

Back in 2002 we bought a boat in Washington when we lived in Tucson. We kept it there for 6 months until we could run it down to LA. It did grow some moss there.

Editing My Original Post

Newbie here. May have a fiberglass Tolly in the slip in Anacortes, Wa. for 6 months. All is clean at present...bottom, upper structures brightwork, twin Chrysler's, good zinc's, etc.

What can I expect to happen or "see" when I get there, say, in April. Damage, corrosion? Measurable? Probably plan a haul out at end of summer next year or....?

Suggestions?

First, I want to thank everyone that have responded so far. Your input and advice is GOLD to this newbie.

I should have said Anacortes "area", because I also may have a slip possibility in La Conner. I'm assuming same conditions would apply.

But dry storage is also becoming a real possibility. And, of course I'm equally clueless regarding storing it "on the hard" (see, I'm learning), although I can see where several of your suggestions would still apply.

Yes to humidifier--plumb it so it self empties into a sink or shower. This is whether you leave it in water or on land.
Also a few of the small heaters just in case of the not too common freeze.
If you leave it in the water strip down canvas and secure things well as there is the occasional high wind event in Anacortes area.

Storing on the hard--you can shrink wrap or invest in a whole boat cover.

In the Anacortes area, slips are pretty hard to come by. Long wait times (years). In LaConner, you can get covered storage, but again I think there is normally a wait list.

Back in Anacortes, there are four or five companies that do dry storage, meaning in a parking lot on blocks. Some have the option to provide power to the boat, and I would go there so that you can keep the dehumidifier on. There are also at least two places with indoor enclosed storage, but it is pricey.

One problem with commuter cruising there is if you keep the boat in dry storage but want to move to a slip for the 6 months in season, the wait list for slips becomes a huge obstacle. And if you have found a slip you do not want to give it up for 6 months of dry storage because you will lose it and go to the back of the list, so now you are paying for an empty slip (may be able to sublet but probably not).

An additional problem for the commuter cruiser in Washington state is that either taxes must be paid to the state on purchase, or it must leave the waters of the state of Washington within 60 days. If an inexpensive boat you pay the tax and forget about it, but it is a substantial bit of change on an expensive boat (9-10% of value). The way the statute is written, that is 60 days "use" which implies it is in the water for that time. So dry storage may not count. If you arrive, splash the boat, and leave for Canada then dry storage makes sense - don't need a slip for 6 months and not in the waters of the State of Washington for 60 days.

OP if you are serious about keeping a boat in Anacortes get on the waiting list for any and all marinas you may be interested in. Don't limit yourself to Anacortes. Look at La Conner and Oak Harbor possibly even the islands. Wait lists tend to be long, years in some marinas.

If you are serious about remote ownership contract a good watch service. Winter wind events are common and can be severe. Depending upon the marina and location within the marina you may experience chaffed and parted lines, damage to canvas etc.

Consider a regular bottom cleaning by a diver. Some places grow more stuff than others. In Oak Harbor I have the bottom cleaned every 3 months year round.

It seems your plans are 6 months aboard in summer? If so be aware that too many nights in a row will trigger liveaboard status which is even more limited availability and longer wait list times than moorage. Specific live aboard rules vary by marina.

If your plan is to be aboard full time for 6 months and spend most of that time cruising a plan that may work is to dry store in the off season, there are several options in Anacortes. During the cruising season a combination of sub-let, transient moorage, joining a yacht club with good reciprocals and out stations and getting a Washington State Parks mooring pass. You would be constantly on the move.

Eventually your name will crawl to the top of a wait list and you'll be able to get full time, year round moorage if you choose.

In the Anacortes area, slips are pretty hard to come by. Long wait times (years). In LaConner, you can get covered storage, but again I think there is normally a wait list.

Back in Anacortes, there are four or five companies that do dry storage, meaning in a parking lot on blocks. Some have the option to provide power to the boat, and I would go there so that you can keep the dehumidifier on. There are also at least two places with indoor enclosed storage, but it is pricey.

One problem with commuter cruising there is if you keep the boat in dry storage but want to move to a slip for the 6 months in season, the wait list for slips becomes a huge obstacle. And if you have found a slip you do not want to give it up for 6 months of dry storage because you will lose it and go to the back of the list, so now you are paying for an empty slip (may be able to sublet but probably not).

An additional problem for the commuter cruiser in Washington state is that either taxes must be paid to the state on purchase, or it must leave the waters of the state of Washington within 60 days. If an inexpensive boat you pay the tax and forget about it, but it is a substantial bit of change on an expensive boat (9-10% of value). The way the statute is written, that is 60 days "use" which implies it is in the water for that time. So dry storage may not count. If you arrive, splash the boat, and leave for Canada then dry storage makes sense - don't need a slip for 6 months and not in the waters of the State of Washington for 60 days.

I was with you until the "leave for Canada" part . I have no plans to go to Canada unless on water at some point way down the "experience" road. As for taxes, I'll be paying them at purchase. Still working on one marina slip and one or two dry storage locations, all in La Conner. We'll see .

I have had a boat in La Conner for the last 7 years. The Port of Skagit is the main marina there. It is mostly covered moorage, but there are some uncovered slips. There is also Shelter Bay on the channel just south of there as well as a tiny marina (Pioneer Point). I believe that La Conner Maritime also has some dry storage. All those locations will have power available. They all have multi-year waiting lists, but you never know when your name will come to the top. Port of Skagit is probably the nicest of those marinas, on a par with Cap Sante in Anacortes.

The general downside of Port of Skagit is that they are located across the channel from a logging operation which can get dirty and in the spring expect a lot of pollen on the boats for the fields to the east. I can get away with having a diver twice a year to do anodes and some light cleaning. Heavy scrubbing is generally frowned upon.

The weather in La Conner is typically better then either Cap Sante or Skyline (Also in Anacortes) The wind is less and fewer really cold days. That is probably due to it being farther from the "big" water. I always close up my Bimini in the winter, but I see most of the boats leave theirs up and I haven't seen any problems.

Most of the marinas heavily restrict the number of liveaboards. Port of Skagit defines liveaboard as more then 15 days per month.

I am further South than the area you are looking at, but there isn’t a huge difference.

- have a diver clean the bottom every three months.
- use a dehumidifier (there is a great thread just on this topic from a few weeks ago)
- Remove any canvas from bikinis. It will protect it from high winds, snow (one or two snowfalls a year typically), and all the bird crap.
- I would see if you can pay someone to give the boat a quick wash once a month or so. It shouldn’t be expensive and will help preserve your boats finish.
- if you have covered moorage, then you don’t need to remove canvas or necessarily have someone wash the boat as often.

The PNW winters are relatively benign and boats do well in the water year round.

OP, you say you may have a Tolly. What year? What style? Some of the older ones had issues draining the water from the flybridge when the boat is at rest. If you're looking at one of those a winter cover may be a good thing to have.

To the OP… You really should reconsider your “no plans to go the Canada! You will be missing out on some wonderful cruising grounds that are really very close at hand! For example, from Anacortes to Van Isle Marina (Vancouver Island near Sidney) is a 35 nm cruise. That is much shorter than cruising from Anacortes to Seattle.

You can visit all of the Canadian Gulf Islands, and lower Vancouver Island, while staying in protected waters.

From the west end of Stuart Island (location of 2 WA State marine parks)in the San Juans, it’s 1.5 nm to cross the border into Canada.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the area!

Depending on the rate of bottom growth in the area , some folks will get a large tarp , drag it under the boat and pull up all the edges.

A gallon of Chlorox is put in your own private pool and there is almost no growth, depending on how fast rain water dilutes the pool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom