Stabilisers for 55' steel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceaneer55

Hi, I have just purchased a 55' steel Oceaneer by Seahorse Marine. I am looking to fit it out with some equipment before bringing it back under its own steam from Hong Kong to Cairns. Could anyone suggest the best way to stabilise this boat. I am looking at Gyro but didn't know what would work best for both underway and at anchor. Cost is also a consideration although I will have the work done whilst in HK which might help a little. Also anything else anyone would suggest I have on board for long-range cruising (what are the essentials). Any suggestions would be great.

Hi, I have just purchased a 55' steel Oceaneer by Seahorse Marine. I am looking to fit it out with some equipment before bringing it back under its own steam from Hong Kong to Cairns. Could anyone suggest the best way to stabilise this boat. I am looking at Gyro but didn't know what would work best for both underway and at anchor. Cost is also a consideration although I will have the work done whilst in HK which might help a little. Also anything else anyone would suggest I have on board for long-range cruising (what are the essentials). Any suggestions would be great.
You'll find discussions on the merits of gyros vs. active fins vs passive fins by searching the site. In general, the rap against gyros is that they need a lot of electrical power to get them up and running, then a fair amount to keep running, plus they only work about 75% as well as active fins. If Robert Beebe is correct, and I think he is, you'll want some form of stabilization. If its not critical to have the vessel stabilized once you get to Oz, then passive fins make sense because you'll drop them in the water in HK and only pull them out coming into port along the way. They will be the cheapest to install, but they clearly have their trade offs as well. Stabilization at anchorage makes zero sense to me, but if that is super important to you, then passive fins would also be indicated because they work underway (at some fuel cost) as well as at rest.

Other essentials, IMHO, for a voyage in that part of the world at that distance would be some strategy for storm management. I about have myself convinced that the Seabrake, made in Oz, makes the most sense for a trawler, although we carried a para anchor when in the Pacific on our sailboat. The Seabrake, coupled with a good diesel, looks like a safe way to handle big seas and high winds.

Beyond that, water makers are nice, but not essential. AIS receivers are so cheap they are almost mandatory. If you have a mast, a sail for a get home is also nice. Spare parts for the engine and everything else that can break, and about 25 gallons of rum - purely for medicinal purposes, of course.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom