Securing screws in thin walls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
What does the collective wisdom use to fix screws that are used to hold stuff in thin walls.....

EG: the sides walls of the boats like interior of the flybridge or non supporting walls that might be fiberglass or a thin wood or plastic product. Thin, like 1/8th to 1/4 thick. And there's a drink holder, or snaps for a covering or whatever, that the screw is suppose to hold. And there's just not enough "meat" in the sidewall to prevent the screw from loosening up and not holding.

Now, there's a lot of techniques, and pretty easy if you can get to the back of it. But if you can't get to the back, how to you enlarge the wall side on the inside or is there a favorite fastener that works.

Rivnuts "might" work, but need one that would strongly grip the wood. Do they make one that would work?

Have also tried stuffing epoxy in there, works fair....

Ideas?

You could try attaching things with heavy duty double stick tape. Press as hard as you can for 60 seconds and then don't use a cup holder or such for another 24 hours.

Toggle bolts are an option as well as the screw in anchors made for attaching things to drywall.

Look around at the home center for options.

Keep in mind that an 1/8" thick panel isn't really intended for holding much weight.

I guess it always depends on how heavy you want to hold. My wife loves the self stick hooks from 3M (I think). If they don't work then maybe you can get serious with something like 5200 if you are going metal to fiberglass. But 1/8 of an inch can only hold so much. Defeats the purpose of bedding a hook with 5200 if the glass bows outward from the weight. That stuff sure does hold. Great adhesive IMO.

Don

Bacchus beat me too it. I’ve often used well nuts. I had a problem with canvas snaps pulling out of the fiberglass on my flying bridge. I replaced the tapping screws with Wellnuts and never had another pull out.

Attachments

• 0DE3E846-3E53-4282-A954-A000F965BC54.jpg
    0DE3E846-3E53-4282-A954-A000F965BC54.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 17
I epoxy scraps of wood using West 610 epoxy I hold them in place with duct tape. I should probably sand surfaces first but I don't. No problems. If I can't access the location then I move the fastener.

Command hooks ....impressed me now for years.

Aboard Seaweed I wanted to secure a fire extinguisher to the cockpit bulkhead. There was fiberglass and not much else. Definitely nothing to screw into, so I took a piece of scrap teak and made a fish. The first was better, but I cracked it when I did not predrill for the screw. This is the second version.

FireInsideFish.jpg

I've also covered a hole (former light) by thru-bolting from inside to outside my cabin. Copious sealant of course, and now I have outside a place to hang a fender. Inside I have a picture. This is not fancy however by matching holes I solved the problem (fender placement)

CleatToHideHole.jpg

I know yours is a yacht (she's gorgeous) however if you can find something useful for the otherside, and match the holes or hide them.... well, that's what worked for me. Good luck.

Suggest you try Pinellas Fasteners. It's a candy store for nuts, bolts and everything in between. They know their stuff.

Suggest you try Pinellas Fasteners. It's a candy store for nuts, bolts and everything in between. They know their stuff.

Janice,

Thx. I've been using them for years.... great selection and great prices. Probably a fourth of what HD or Fastinal charges. And great selection for a rather small store.

Both marine and aviation mfg. use stick on pads that have threaded nuts built in.

Both marine and aviation mfg. use stick on pads that have threaded nuts built in.

Yep, use them in aviation. Click Bond is the manufacturer.... are there others?

However, can't find any of their mounts that are flush... maybe.... perhaps their nutplates.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom