Rigging a jib on a Gulfstar 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
Just bought a used Gulfstar 36, which has a mast and an aft sail. Obviously the only real use for the sail at this point is stabilizing against rolls, but it it occurs to me that if there were also a jib then it might actually be able to sail! Not fast, but better than walking if those diesels fail! :)

So . . . has anyone done that?

I thought so to! When we bought the Eagle we were newbies, so we went out into the middle of the lake, after about an hour we gave up. However if we knew how to sail, it might of helped?:confused:

Yes, knowing how to sail helps! :) I just sold my sailboat, though, so think that I can do that OK. Might make 2 knots, which does not sound like much. But it will get you home. What I was thinking of doing was running a forestay from the mast down to the front of the bow, doing some extra shrouds on the mast, and ordering a sail cut to the proper dimensions. Just clip on of course. No fancy roller furling. Strictly for emergency use.

Several trawlers have sail for added range and stability. I dont think they would make a good get home on trawler. Enless you where going to make into a motorsailor. If you have a gen set adding a hydraic get home would be easier with better results.

There is a sister trawler of the Eagle they added a taller masts and sails which they could make 6 knots. Last I heard they separated and the boat is down around Panama. So it can be done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom