Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

berhar

Vessel Name
Katoa
Vessel Make
Bagnall
Hi All from New Zealand

Have an 80s wooden ex game boat called Katoa that has been a joy to own the last few years and is based in the Bay of Islands

Finally posting after browsing for a while . Huge amounts of knowledge online and a great resource

Thanks Ross

Welcome to TF, from a fellow (ex)kiwi. We shipped the love of our life at the time, a Gazelle 26 maxi trailer yacht over to Brisbane in 1989. Since then seduced to the dark side of power via a Cuddles (Resort) 35, and then enjoyed 16 years in a Clipper 34 here out on Moreton Bay.

We did trail the Gazelle up to the Bay of Islands and cruised it in the summer of 1987. Great cruising ground. Really enjoyed the special snorkelling area, with plaques installed underwater at Roberton Island to mark notable features. Is that still a goer, or has it suffered over time..?

Howdy. Would you like to tell us a little about the propulsion and other significant facts about your "ex-game" boat as that is a term of art some us us are unfamiliar with?

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you on the forum.

Hi Pete
I have not snorkelled there in a while but I believe the plaques are still there.
Katoa was designed and built by Geoff Bagnall in mid 1980s .She is made out of 2 skin kauri and glassed over with a wooden superstructure
She was a charter boat out of Tutukaka , NZ , that took people game fishing for many years for marlin
She has a 130hp Ford 2725E marinized by Lees that has done over 7000 hours . Lots of information about my ford motor and lehman available but little info onboard about Lees parts as the company has moved on
She is a simple boat for a simple owner but we love her

Welcome aboard Ross! The boat sounds great, has nice lines,and the Ford is testament to its reputation for longevity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom