looking for a low cost world capable boat???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
warning... not a single handed vessel.

I want IT! Wife not agreed!! Thank God!!!

Greetings,
Seriously? It must be worth more than that for scrap unless the cost of hazardous waste disposal exceeds it's scrap value.

Thought I heard a bunch of former Coasties that sailed aboard are trying the floating museum route.

Found it....

https://www.oceanguardian-og.org/acushnet

Old news I guess..... guess they can't afford it any more. She was still active and busy when I was in Kodiak 1990-1992.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Seriously? It must be worth more than that for scrap unless the cost of hazardous waste disposal exceeds it's scrap value.

Esp. if full of fuel.

The cost of any vessel is purchase cost plus annual expense minus recovered funds at time of sale.

Knowing this as we’ve been boat hunting means there have been multifactorial boats I couldn’t afford even if given to me for free. This is one such boat for most of us. It is definitely NOT a low cost world traveler.

The cost of any vessel is purchase cost plus annual expense minus recovered funds at time of sale.

Knowing this as we’ve been boat hunting means there have been multifactorial boats I couldn’t afford even if given to me for free. This is one such boat for most of us. It is definitely NOT a low cost world traveler.

Forget the usual cost breakdown. Just think of the annual $$$'s for a minimum of 2 persons who would be needed as a boat savvy crew! $150K plus/plus!! Crew of 3 or 4 would be better.

I wonder what a bottom job costs? :eek:

This is truly a "John Wayne" type opportunity... :thumb: :D

I was born the same year as the CG cutter. I have maintained myself, sort of, and I am not worth squat. I suspect it is the same as the cutter except as a museum display.

Per the link I posted above...

Crew: 25-30
* Passengers and crew up to 85 depending on mission
* Emergency situation and rescue 300 passengers on board
* Accommodation: 85 people
* Range 20,000 + nm at 12 knots

+opportunity costs of the cash invested + interest on any financed amount.

Really, owning any sizeable boat is insanity lol.

The good news is so long as it is flagged in the US you don't need to comply with mandatory pilotage areas in Alaska.

Sure, a couple could run it, so long as one of them spends all underway hours in the engineering spaces :thumb:

Last edited:
Forget the usual cost breakdown. Just think of the annual $$$'s for a minimum of 2 persons who would be needed as a boat savvy crew! $150K plus/plus!! Crew of 3 or 4 would be better.

I wonder what a bottom job costs? :eek:

This is truly a "John Wayne" type opportunity... :thumb: :D

Double the crew size at least, plus a cook. The cook has no other duties unless the cook wants.

In my salad daze, I commanded a ship with similar propulsion, and since the ad does not do a great job of explaining it, let me elaborate.

There are two propulsion engineering spaces. The forward one contains the four propulsion diesel DC generators. In my ships there were 16-cylinder Cat D399s. The DC generators were directly attached to the aft end of each diesel and ran wrist-sized cables to carry that enormous DC current back to the switchboard in the aft propulsion space. From the switchboard this DC power was directed to the propulsion electric motor which in our case was about two-stories high. This motor requires AC excitation to rotate the propeller shaft. There were smaller diesel generators in that space (a Cat 353 and a pair of GM 671s) to provide both the required excitation and normal house load to the rest of the ship.

I could run my ship at 7 knots on just one of the big diesels and one excitation genny. Two of the D399s would get us to about 10 knots, three for around twelve, and all four for 15 knots.

For experienced crew talk to the folks at the National Association of Fleet Tug Sailors National Association of Fleet Tug Sailors – "The difficult we do today – the impossible may take until tomorrow." started by the operations officer from my ship. It is an umbrella organization which includes any folks who served on any of the numerous classes of towing/salvage/rescue ships of the US Navy. If those old codgers in the movie Battleship could get the USS Missouri underway to fight the aliens, how hard could this be? :)

Double the crew size at least, plus a cook. The cook has no other duties unless the cook wants.

Put BIG ins. on it. Make sure plenty epirb units aboard and really good life boats. She's an old gal... might not stay afloat in the racking of sea conditions.

I was born the same year as the CG cutter. I have maintained myself, sort of, and I am not worth squat. I suspect it is the same as the cutter except as a museum display.

To the contrary, sir! The ship I commanded was built in 1943/44 and is still running just fine thank you very much as a member of the Taiwanese Navy. My former operations officer was recently over there visiting as senior ROC admiral in Keelung in the north end of the island. He ordered the ship brought up from Kaohsiung so Ned could go aboard for a look around. He said the ship is in SPLENDID shape with the same window unit AC we mounted into a bulkhead to give him some relief from the heat in his stateroom back in 1977!

Per the link I posted above...

Crew: 25-30
* Passengers and crew up to 85 depending on mission
* Emergency situation and rescue 300 passengers on board
* Accommodation: 85 people
* Range 20,000 + nm at 12 knots

Don't forget the theater. Could host TED talks on board. Or woo investors 40 at a time lol.

Until almost 1990, the USCG was operating these type diesel electrics plus several WWII vintage icebreakers. The old 180 class buoy tenders were diesel electric too.

Should be plenty of retired or ex-coasties around that know how to run them, wanting to is another story.

Last edited:
The Bay-class ice breaking tugs use a DC diesel electric system powered by a FairBANKS Morse. They were commissioned in the 70s and 80s.

Although we rarely did, the propeller thrust (speed and direction) on these diesel-electric ships could be controlled from the bridge. I imagine this vessel has similar capabilities. With that setup, you can have one person on watch in each of the two propulsion spaces to monitor equipment but not require a third body to spend endless hours watching to control the propeller in case somebody on the bridge wants to change propeller RPM or thrust direction. That leaves one or two on the bridge, preferably two for a grand total of four people running the ship. Now, the critical issue is how long do you want to run a day? If you are a cruiser, maybe eight hours; so, a two-section watch. That's eight people.

When I was the chief mate on a Navy diesel-powered 223-foot ocean surveillance vessel, the engineering spaces were unmanned because of the investment in extensive alarm systems terminated in the chief engineer's stateroom. We had two of us on watch on the bridge - TOTAL. Along with the secret squirrel surveillance equipment operators, we had about 38 on board. Captain and chief engineer and chief steward and his helpers stood no watches.

Our US Navy underway watch quarter and station bill for the WWII era towing and salvage ship would have had one switchboard watch (for answering the engine order telegraph if propeller not controlled on the bridge), one each roving watch in each of the two propulsion spaces, a sounding and security roving throughout the ship, one lookout on top of the pilothouse, one lifebuoy/aft lookout, one helmsman/EOT operator, one quartermaster, and one OOD. That's nine people per watch section, and we had a 69-man crew. Cooks and helpers and laundrymen and medical corpsman and oil king and senior chief petty officers in deck and engineering and XO (also navigator) and I stood no watch. Chief engineer stood officer of the deck watch.

https://www.oceanguardian-og.org/acushnet

Old news I guess..... guess they can't afford it any more. She was still active and busy when I was in Kodiak 1990-1992.

My optometrist, who was a Coast Guard deck officer before joining the Naval Medical Corps, served on one of the same class, though not the Acushnet, tells me they were originally Navy salvage tugs before being "surplused" to the Coast Guard.

I think there's another one in Portland, just west of the I-5 drawbridge.

Last edited:
My optometrist, who was a Coast Guard deck officer before joining the Naval Medical Corps, served on one of the same class, though not the Acushnet, tells me they were originally Navy salvage tugs before being "surplused" to the Coast Guard.

I think there's another one in Portland, just west of the I-5 drawbridge.

Tough little ships built to take it. Thus their very long lives.

Looks like fun for a dedicated organization. I would love to be a crewmember.

For a time, I was on a US Destroyer, DD881,built in 43 or 44. They were chipping the bilge and poked a hole through it. No water leakage, they were in dry dock. Just weld a patch on the outside of the hull, presto! No more hole.

Last edited:
You people aren't thinking this through. The apocalypse is upon us! What a great platform to wait this out on (remember, zombies can't swim).

For a time, I was on a US Destroyer, DD881,built in 43 or 44. They were chipping the bilge and poked a hole through it. No water leakage, they were in dry dock. Just weld a patch on the outside of the hull, presto! No more hole.

Ha! Reminds me of a time I was at home one fine Sunday afternoon when I got a call from the tug's command duty officer telling my that a 1/2-inch hole had appeared in the bilge of the propulsion motor room when the steel rod used by the sounding and security patrol to check the bilge water level every hour for 30 or 40 years had finally worn through the striker plate and the hull. He said we had a nice little 4-5 foot fountain in there. A diver was called, and a box patch was welded in place allowing us to just go on about our business. The steel rod was replaced with a plastic one!

In the middle of a transpacific transit, a destroyer I was on had a several foot long crack develop in a fire room, and we were taking on water with every roll. The advice from ashore was to drill a small hole at either end of the crack to stop the crack from growing until we got to a shipyard for repair. We did not sink; so, I guess it did work.

Last edited:
Tough little ships built to take it. Thus their very long lives.

I have to say, there is a certain robust utilitarian aesthetic about the vessel. Sign me up for the "fantasy crew." QM3, I think.

Last edited:
In the middle of a transpacific transit, a destroyer I was on had a several foot long crack develop in a fire room, and we were taking on water with every roll. The advice from ashore was to drill a small hole at either end of the crack to stop the crack from growing until we got to a shipyard for repair. We did not sink; so, I guess it did work.

Yup, those holes job, stress relieving points.
These thing happened before the days of battery operated drills. I guess there was an air driven drill available.
The main seawater induction, in the fwd engine room, to the condenser was cracked so they wrapped very tight with cord. Guess it worked. We didn't sink. Pretty too.
A shaft bearing was over heating so they put a rag on it a slow drip of sea water on the rag.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom