Anchor type advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
I have a new to me 60’ and 80,000lb gross displacement trawler that I intend to cruise Desolation Sound and the Broughtons in British Columbia with.

I was looking at the adequacy of the gear it came with for that area, and whether more modern anchor designs would be preferred. I’m willing to invest here as I want piece of mind holding plusneasy to deploy and retrieve.

The existing windlass needs service but it is a Lofrans Falcon 12V 1500W

The two anchors carried in the bow are for the Port bowsprit. 60 lb CQR with. 100’ 3/8th” chain and 250’ nylon rode. The starboard is a 30kg Bruce anchor and 400’ of 3/8” chain.

I’ve seen more modern anchor designs like the Ultra etc.

What are recommendations for a good combination for these areas? And chain to carry.

I’ve looked at many of the threads here.

Last edited:
It’s the chain that is most important in the NW and at 400’ you have plenty. I have never had my Bruce anchor let me down and I see no reason to replace it.

A quick search of trawler forum and you would have found endless debate over which anchor is best. Kind of like asking who was the greatest rock band of all times.

I’ve had a CQR on two boats. They hold pretty well, but I’ve found them difficult to set and I worry about their ability reset. That last is really important in SW BC due to the large current changes.

I’ve got 300’ of chain on my current boat. I have limited experience in the Desolation Sound area but only once did I wish for a bit more chain. So I think 300’ should be good. A combination rode is great if your windlass can handle it well. If you have a good Sampson post to attach the rope rode to, then I think the 100’ chain followed by nylon is a great way to go. I used that on my sailboat and liked it a lot.

There are lots of folks here that live in the SW BC area that can give good feedback. I would also suggest you give Ground Tackle Marine a call. They are in Victoria and are the NA Distributor of Anchor Right’s Sarca anchors. I bought a Sarca Excel from Nick 4-5 years ago and have been very happy with it. Much better than the CQRs or Bruce anchors that I’ve had in the past. They would love to sell you an anchor of course, but they can give you some suggestions for maybe the best way to utilize your existing ground tackle and modernize one of your anchors.

https://www.groundtackle.com

I think Steve Goodwin of SV Panope is out of Port Townsend. He has been doing anchor tests for years and posting via YouTube. You may want to watch a few of his videos. Well respected guy.

https://youtube.com/user/flygoodwin

Good luck

Peter

Sounds like the PO was up to speed on anchoring.

Happily you have both a burying (CQR) and a dragging the Bruce.

Although some folks love the Bruce , I would get a 90H Danforth for heavy weather.

The two anchors carried in the bow are for the Port bowsprit. 60 lb CQR with. 100’ 3/8th” chain and 250’ nylon rode. The starboard is a 30kg Bruce anchor and 400’ of 3/8” chain.

I’ve seen more modern anchor designs like the Ultra etc.

What are recommendations for a good combination for these areas? And chain to carry.

Don't know your area, or substrate...

But I'm in somewhat the same situation, eyeballing what to use to replace a 55-60-lb stainless Delta... that I already know won't be optimum on our local mud (sometimes slime, ooze). Just as I suspect both your CQR and your Bruce may possibly be improved upon...

More modern designs include Spade, Rocna (two styles), Manson (ditto), Mantus (ditto), Anchor Right (ditto), Ultra, SuperMAX... and you can check their websites for fitting info. Then also review Steve's videos; his tests likely won't include the exact size you might need, but you might be able to draw some comparative conclusions.

Were it me and I had two bowsprits... I'd likely install one of those above, plus a big-a$$ Fortress... or at least two different styles.

-Chris

OP, I used to have a boat of similar dimensions. I don't want to address anchor types, but weight-wise yours sound light.

My working anchor was a 60lb Danforth on 400ft of 3/8" but I kept it that size because I did not have a bow roller and had to lift it over the handrail each time. My backup was 100+ lb Danforth for heavy weather which I handled via the dinghy davit.

As I have never found it good practice to deploy two anchors from the bow, I would recommend you obtain one very heavy anchor which works well in most all substrates, make it say 100lbs or more, and remove your second anchor - relocate to the stern.

Also, as I recall, in the Northern Hemisphere you want your working anchor mounted to port, not starboard.

The question was anchoring in the Broughtons and Desolation Sound. These are extremely protected waters a 60# bucket of cement and 200’ of chain is more than enough.

If your plans include the Bering Sea you might consider an anchor change but not for the PNW.

If you are old enough you will remember that the Bruce was the greatest anchor ever right up until it’s Patent ran out, then the Delta was the answer until it’s patent ran out.

Last edited:
The question was anchoring in the Broughtons and Desolation Sound. These are extremely protected waters a 60# bucket of cement and 200’ of chain is more than enough.

Sure, that might be true, but boats have a habit of moving, especially 60ft 80,000lb big boys. You don't want minimal ground tackle for a sheltered region being your final solution.

Don't skimp on ground tackle.

I watched some videos by Steve Goodwin, suggested above. Wow, I love his passion and determination to test!

The Sarca Excel topped the list, and certainly averaged better than both mine, though there was a more recent one that seemed even better.

The ultra is common on my model boat, but didn’t test as well by Steve and seemed expensive, though very pretty.

Your rode sounds ok, as does the windlass. I'd suggest keeping the Bruce as a second anchor - just in case - but lose the CQR, they are so tricky to set. But if for your main, you get the appropriately weighted Sarca Excel, you'll never need the second anchor anyway, in all probability, but because of Murphy's law it is wise to have one. However, my second anchor, an old Danforth, rusted away in the lazaret and never saw the light of day after I got a Sarca. That was until I sold the boat 15 years later.

I watched some videos by Steve Goodwin, suggested above. Wow, I love his passion and determination to test!

The Sarca Excel topped the list, and certainly averaged better than both mine, though there was a more recent one that seemed even better.

The ultra is common on my model boat, but didn’t test as well by Steve and seemed expensive, though very pretty.
Sarca are good anchors,the problem might be cost,weight and import freight are not friends. A No.5 Excel recently cost me $700AUD, I had a No.5 Super Sarca before that which didn`t fit the "new" boat, my Sarca experience persuaded me to buy another.

Bottom types vary so no single anchor will be best, if you can handle it go as heavy as you can. Where I am a Danforth High Tensile works great but that may not work for you. Interestingly I just sold a Rocna that frequently refused to set.

I’ve looked at many of the threads here.
All sounds very (very) lightweight to me

Yes I agree hence why I’m upgrading.

. But it obviously worked for the previous owner. It’s extremely well protected mooring areas but I will upgrade hence the questions. Not sure how much chain they let out but 400’ of 3/8” itself would provide a lot of protection especially if they moored in areas where they stern tied to shore.

Yes I agree hence why I’m upgrading.

To give you an idea, on our 60fter we run

13mm (1/2 inch) chain X 80m (400ft) and we have replaced it twice in 5 years due to stretching/deformation

A 150lb Manson supreme and that has held us in 80+ knots.
Over here I could probably have 4 for the price of 1 ultra
In over 5 years of full time cruising on anchor there has only been one occasion where we dragged slightly in liquid mud in 40 knots.

A 24v Maxwell HWC3500 windlass

A 100lb and an 80lb plough as spares
A 60lb SARCA as a stern
And a full roll of 20mm nylon if needed.

If I could do a money was no object upgrade I would increase the size of windlass and chain but that'd be every bit of $15,000 to do it.

If replacing, I'd keep the Bruce and dump the CQR. I have no experience with more modern designs to replace the CQR, but you can expect divergent recommendations. If you have the capacity, choose all-chain rodes.

I have a 30 kg Bruce knockoff by Lewmar, 300 ft of 3/8 chain, and an Ideal windlass. This setup has never let me down in BC and SE Alaska in 20 years of use and some pretty big blows. Claw anchors are maligned here but I wouldn't have anything else in this region. I rarely need more than 3:1 scope. As mentioned, your anchors seem pretty light for your boat.

Last edited:
Sounds like the previous owner took the good stuff and left you with some stuff I'd just get rid of. Not sure of your bottom in those places you want to go, but can imagine a fair amount of rock in which an old Herreshoff design might work well.

I’m leaning towards putting a 113lb (#13) Excel on in place of the cqr. Skip going the Ultra route. Stay with galvanized chain.

Me, too!
My boat is about 80 tons, I use 5/8" all chain and a 200# anchor. My storm anchor is 300#. Ships and boats, I've been anchoring for about 60 years. Traditional anchors with proper scope hold fine in almost all bottoms. If you have to anchor where everybody else does, need a short scope to keep from tangling, then you need heavier gear and a bigger windless. You can partially make up for a light anchor by using more scope. Proper scope keeps the shank from lifting and digging out the anchor.

Your ground tackle is a major piece of safety gear, It needs to stop and hold your boat in any conditions.

Doesn’t explain though why it’s factory equipped with a 77 lb Ultra. This manufacturer doesn’t cut any corners

Bottom types vary so no single anchor will be best,....
maybe not "best" but for adequate versatility of use, note that SARCA stands for Sand and Rock Combination Anchor.In my experience they definitely work in mud too.

Another vote for the Excel. We have a 66# with 400’ of 5/16 HT chain for a 40’ and have been quite happy with it. We’ve anchored several places in Desolation and never had a problem, but the weather is usually pretty good there in the summer. The worst we’ve experienced was a storm in Prevost Harbor with sustained 35k winds, higher gusts.
Our previous anchors were a Bruce (real) that came with the boat and held against a power back-down about 50% of the time, and a Rocna that failed 3 times, twice on tidal reversals. Steve’s tests were significant in our choice of the Excel.
Every anchor is good, until it drags.

The bottom of locations here in PNW and Coastal BC varies greatly and an anchor that sets in one or two circumstances will not in some instances work all. For example, if I where to live in an areas with mostly sandy bottoms, Danforth anchors would do well. But Danforth cutting through some thick sea weeds, forget it, flukes too wide and they float mostly on the top of the weed.

Modern anchors are better than traditional anchors and you own two traditional anchors. But... I agree use your Bruce as backup and get a modern anchor as your primary.

When deciding on what primary to get and looking at the manufactures suggested anchors for your boat size, weight and wind profile, opt for the next size up from the suggested, just because.... especially due to deeper depths and more demanding anchoring situations here in coastal BC waters. This is really true if you plan off season boating. If you do plan off season cruising, look for very protected anchorages like Squirrels Cove and Refuge Cove in case winds come up and surprise you, not unusual in the off season.

Learn how to use a snubber. You'll be amazed at the number of guys who will put out something like ten feet and think its adequate, its not. And off season, more snubber!

Re snubbers (bridles?): what do you suggest? I use the large mantus bridle with a 66lb Spade anchor. My second anchor is a similarly sized Excel, would use the same size bridle.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom