Hello from London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeptCrude

I wish I had a boat and could sail away like all of you lucky people!

What brought me to register here is that my old man, (based in France) is the proud owner of a 1979 Tollycraft of type "Fisherman" and is struggling to find parts for it.

I am hoping you good people will have some suggestions as to who may be able to supply the needed parts.

What is needed is a motor starter. The yacht has two Nissan - Chrysler 100cv engines.
The reference taken off the starter are: S / 310 / K 2,5kw / 110
The starter is attached with 3 screws and has an 11 teeth cog.

That is all I know. So my mission is to find him a compatible replacement.
He believes it is the solenoid that is no longer working.

So, what do you reckon...any chance?

Cheers!

I dunno about Tollycrafts, but...

Nissan and Chrysler in the same sentence seems a bit odd. Perhaps the boat has been repowered somewhere along the way? And if so, perhaps there are automotive parts that would mate up with those engines? Might not need a whole starter, just a solenoid...

Gas boat (I think, yes?), so you'd want an ignition protected starter, though... so not sure that'd be an off-the-shelf automotive thing.

Forgive me; I'm a little dense today. What is "100cv"? Or maybe just what is "cv"?

-Chris

cv = metric horsepower on the Continent.

I’ve seen a pair of Chrysler Nissans in an old Bayliner way back when, down (for me at the time) in Wisconsin. They were diesel. Google seems to agree that they are diesel and at least in North America, an orphan for parts to an extreme degree.

Last edited:
IMO I would remove it (them?) or have them removed by a mechanic, and take them to a shop with the idea that they can be rebuilt and the solenoid replaced. It would not need to be a marine shop, any place that rebuilds starters and alternators could give it a go.

@Alaskaflyer & @ranger42c

Many thanks for responding to my query and good to know you came across a pair of Chrysler Nissans before Alaskaflyer.

Was told that Tollycraft "marinated" those engines to power boats back in the years 79 to 85. Apparently they were the same engines that powered the 4x4 Patrol Nissan WD.
The issue is that on these WDs they are running on 24 volts whereas they are set for running on 12volts on the boats.

trying to insert a picture of that boat below. Will pass-on Alaskaflyer's suggested approach.
Many thanks for your input.

view

That was not a standard engine to my knowledge in Tollycraft’s and I’ve been involved with the Tollyclub for many years, so you likely won’t get help from that direction. Tolly’s still have a very active following over here (is your sportfish 28 feet by chance?, pictures?).

Solenoids are sometimes external or internal. Some are just a switch, in that power range might well not care if it is 12 volts or 24 as it is similar energy to start the engine. Also believe taking it to a starter or alternator shop may be the best option. They could probably figure out how to make it work with off the shelf parts or even repair (sometimes the internal contacts are worn but it’s possible to just flip them over and go another ten years.

Get the engine serial number, engine model name for when you find a parts place.

Of course, there is always an internet search too. On the internet, search for NEW. You dont know who rebuilt the starter.

Last edited:
That’s a right smart looking boat.

Hopefully this is an easy removal and rebuild job.

Further to CV for the trivia inclined...

CV = Cheveaux = "Horses".

The venerable Citroen "deux cheveaux", or 2 CV was a very popular, though modestly powered car.

OK, back to anchors and fuel filters....

:offtopic: During WWII, the BBC in London would always start its news broadcast with "This is the BBC, London calling", not "Hello from London." TEASE :hide:
I return you to the 'parts availability' discussion already in progress.

Last edited:
That was not a standard engine to my knowledge in Tollycraft’s and I’ve been involved with the Tollyclub for many years, so you likely won’t get help from that direction. Tolly’s still have a very active following over here (is your sportfish 28 feet by chance?, pictures?).

Solenoids are sometimes external or internal. Some are just a switch, in that power range might well not care if it is 12 volts or 24 as it is similar energy to start the engine. Also believe taking it to a starter or alternator shop may be the best option. They could probably figure out how to make it work with off the shelf parts or even repair (sometimes the internal contacts are worn but it’s possible to just flip them over and go another ten years.
Hi Ghost,
Many thanks for chipping in with this info. I have replied to you yesterday but somehow, once posted I can't see my replies on screen and keep wondering if you received them already or not.
So I confirm it is a 28feet as you thought and I finally managed to upload a pic on the thread.
Thanks again

That’s a right smart looking boat.

Hopefully this is an easy removal and rebuild job.
Thank you, they put a lot of work into getting it the way they wanted it.
I'll pass your kind words on as I can't take any credits for it. In fact I can't recall ever setting foot on it myself, but that is another long story altogether...
The only time I saw it in real, was one very cold winter and it was all covered-up looking very lonely in some port.

:offtopic: During WWII, the BBC in London would always start its news broadcast with "This is the BBC, London calling", not "Hello from London." TEASE :hide:
I return you to the 'parts availability' discussion already in progress.
Ha! Good one.
Excellent quip.

Further to CV for the trivia inclined...

CV = Cheveaux = "Horses".

The venerable Citroen "deux cheveaux", or 2 CV was a very popular, though modestly powered car.

OK, back to anchors and fuel filters....
Greetings,
Had quite a few of those in my younger days.
Gave you quite a chill in the cold months, but were great fun.

Back
Top Bottom