Drain plug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doodie99

Vessel Name
Winters Obsession
Vessel Make
Mainship Mark 1
So I am wondering if there is a drain plug on my 79 Mark 1 keel?

There was one on our '87 Mk III. Can't remember anything else about it, though, sorry...

-Chris

I know my father's 93 sedan bridge 40 had one at a low point towards the front but instead of searching I was hoping someone with experience could send me in the correct area to save time.

If theboat is out of the water, guessing that's why you need to find it, can't you see it pretty easy from the outside and guesstimate it's location?

I did not see it easily but I would think its somewhere on the bottom of the keel?

I did not see it easily but I would think its somewhere on the bottom of the keel?

My MKI has one directly under the transmission, on the MKIII my father owned, it was further forward, under the steps down that lead to the galley and head area. His was falling apart and leaked upon launching one spring, the casting came out in pieces, scary stuff. I replaced mine this spring but it had been replaced before and was actually fine.

Thanks. I was hoping someone would have the answer. Does it come out from the outside or inside? My dad's was inside.

Inside should have a T handle to it but it could have been lost and replaced by now.

My '78 had a drain in the bottom of the keel with an inside plug, but when the boat was repowered they built a drip tray that blocked access from the inside. It's possible that's the case with yours as well.

Well i think i finally found it!
After moving it home we re positioned the blocks and now i see a hole on the bottom of the keel. I plan on finding it inside tomorrow.

Yeah. Really check it out. This was mine. 85 Mk III. Under the steps to the galley.

Attachments

• 20210621_203713.jpg
    20210621_203713.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 14
Well I found it inside. I think its next to impossible to remove. I can see the outside flange but it's under my transmission.

You have to wonder what Mainship was thinking on the placement of things. My stuffing box is under a 200 gallon fuel tank in the lazarette.

You have to wonder what Mainship was thinking on the placement of things. My stuffing box is under a 200 gallon fuel tank in the lazarette.

I'm thinking it may not have been as bad with the original motor but this has a Cat 3208 and its pretty big so it may be longer. I am considering adding a 2nd in the back near the stuffing box

Ours is located under the floor where the generator used to be. That area seems to be at about the lowest point, depending on how the boat is blocked when it's on land of course.
If it were mine, I wouldn't want to add another and abandon the first. You say it's hard to remove but since there's already a hole there, why don't you take the time, albeit a pain in the butt to access, to remove the entire assembly... flange and all, and reinstall it (or a new one) on the outside? That's how ours is. It's easier to access so removing the plug when the boat is hauled is a piece of cake and the first thing I do when it gets blocked. It isn't bonded but I have never noticed any signs of corrosion in the years we've owned it and the small 1/2" square-head plug only barely protrudes while it's installed so the chance of it snagging debris is darn near non-existent.

If it were mine, I wouldn't want to add another and abandon the first. You say it's hard to remove but since there's already a hole there, why don't you take the time, albeit a pain in the butt to access, to remove the entire assembly... flange and all, and reinstall it (or a new one) on the outside? That's how ours is. It's easier to access so removing the plug when the boat is hauled is a piece of cake and the first thing I do when it gets blocked. It isn't bonded but I have never noticed any signs of corrosion in the years we've owned it and the small 1/2" square-head plug only barely protrudes while it's installed so the chance of it snagging debris is darn near non-existent.

That's what I did.

Yeah. Really check it out. This was mine. 85 Mk III. Under the steps to the galley.
Thanks for the tip Solly!

Well i do plan on adding a 2nd one but i decided to remove the current one from the bottom. well i am glad i did. it had stainless screws holding it in.
:eek:
28851-albums1151-picture7084.jpg

Last edited:
28851-albums1151-picture7109.jpg

I think I have the solution now.

Thanks for the tip Solly!

Well i do plan on adding a 2nd one but i decided to remove the current one from the bottom. well i am glad i did. it had stainless screws holding it in.
:eek:
28851-albums1151-picture7084.jpg

A little crevice corrosion going on there…

WoW !! Those screws !!!!! The old plug isn't that bad but my lord the screws !

WoW !! Those screws !!!!! The old plug isn't that bad but my lord the screws !

I know!!
I could not believe that they unscrewed.
I am sure glad i decided to remove them... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom