View Single Post
Old 08-30-2021, 06:47 AM   #2
OldDan1943
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I have both a generator and 2X130 watt solar panels (no more physical room to install more) plus a 40amp Xantex stand alone charger. I think the engine alternator puts out 60amp(?) It is the standard alternator that comes with the Cummings 380QSB. All this works with 4X4D batteries (3 house and 1 start) The generator start battery Group24 is totally divorced from everything.
My major day time and night time load, 12vt fridge and LED lights as necessary. That is excluding a couple of 400amp inverters to run the TVs (those loads suggest the inverters could be smaller.)
The main inverter is a Xantex 1800watt inverter. This allows to a 10% overload for starting stuff. The loads on the main nverter are switch control galley outlets (gotta have coffee) OR the 2000amp microwave which sucks the batteries down quickly so I use it sparingly. Normally, I keep the inverter shut off.
My reasoning is sort of obscure.
The alternator or battery charger plus generator, I am told brings the batteries up to 85%, The solar panels just sort of hang around bringing the batteries up to much nearer if not 'full'.
So far everything plays nice.

Sooooooo, after all that and in conclusion, I suggest both a generator, main engine alternator, battery charger AND solar panels.

If I had to make a choice between solar panels and a generator, I would vote for a generator