Trailerable Trawler Wannabe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeddyBallgame

Vessel Name
Lookin'
Vessel Make
For Our First
Aloha, My DW and I are into our 6th year full time RVing (40' 5'er when we need to be big and truck camper when we need to be small) and beginning to think the trailerable trawler life is our next adventure. Very intrigued by an under 30', 8.5' beam trawlers ability to take us on the Great Loop, Inside Passage, Puget Sound, Sea of Cortez, etc., as well as exploring all the navigable inland lakes and waterways of North America.

I'm looking for recommended threads on this forum that can address my particular learning curve.

Cheers

No such thing. Trawlers are too heavy for most non-commercial transport.

But I like smaller boats like you and there are many imitation trawlers out there. But also there are many boats (cheap) that are basically just as good as a trawler and cost (used) 5 to 15 times as little to buy. If you’re handy buy a super cheap IO and cut the stern into an outboard boat.

But the limited supply of newer boats most people think of as trawlers like Ranger Tugs are cute boats and go a little faster than real trawlers but they are surprisingly pricy.

One of our long time members ran a diesel powered 26’ Bayliner for years before he bought a big and more typical trawler. Sunchaser can tell you about his extensive experiences w his small trawler. Mostly in Alaska.

Please let us know what you buy.

Last edited:
There are several threads on this topic, a couple of which I started. I owned a very small 23' trailerable trawler, but that is really too small for the activities you mention.

A 25- 28' TT would work for most of your destinations. Look at Rosborough, Atlas Acadia, C Dory and other downeaster style, non flybridge trawlers. They all have a 8.5' beam or less but it will take a big pickup truck, preferably a dually to pull these.

David

Welcome aboard TF. Lots of knowledgeable folks and good info. You may need to look past some gentle ribbing re definition of trawlers as its been debated before with no conclusion.
That said a good place to start would be to scan through the Trailerable or Picket Trawlers section in the Builders section.
We have seen many on their Great Loop adventures and they certainly have some advantages being trailerable. If you can comfortably travel in a truck camper the adjustment to a smaller "trawler style" boat should be easily doable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom