View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 07:19 PM   #47
Seevee
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Doodie,

Good for you on the offer, but hope it was considering that this one could be a TON of work....

I could make a STRONG argument to just not by any boat that has been sitting for 10 years, or even a few years, especially that old. And I could make a strong argument for not buying any boat much earlier than 20 years old unless the current owner has already done all the fix up work, and expect to pay a bit more.

Old boats are OLD, period. In some cases, the only thing of value is the hull and the engines, so you rework all the electrical, fuel cells, plumbing, toilets, galley, radios, etc., etc. and you'll probably spend WAY more than it's worth. And often the value of these old boats is the price it takes to haul them to the junk yard. Don't get me wrong, but this certainly sounds like a candidate.

Unless you just like to work and value your time at zero, I'd bet you could do MUCH better spending 5 to 10 times as much and get a reasonably good boat, that will be ready to go with minor work.

Friend of mine recently sold a Grand Banks look a like for $30K. Overhauled engine, two new fuel tanks, stern thruster, in running condition. That make a hell of a better deal!

Food for thought.