Thread: Bauer 10 Dinghy
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2021, 11:05 PM   #1
PennBruce

City: Canadensis
Vessel Name: Last Hurrah
Vessel Model: Ta Chiao/CT35 Sun Deck
Bauer 10 Dinghy

The Bauer seems to be a popular choice for a dinghy either for rowing or sailing. I acquired a used one (they are no longer being built).

I found very little technical information available on the Web. However, the manufacturer, Bauteck Marine, still exists and they are very helpful.
Below I've listed the information that Bauteck provided about the Bauer 10.

My B-10 had a rough life. The jib, jib sheets and mainsheet were missing. The centerboard would not budge. The rub rail was pretty much disintegrated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vinyl Rub Rail.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	120473

Fortunately, Bauteck had a newer rub rail product available. Here's the result:

Name:	New Rub Rail.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	120474

The jib was an easy solution. $187 to UK Sailmakers Miami got me a new jib. The spars were manufactured by Dwyer Masts. I've been talking to Dwyer about changing over to a Marconi rig but more about that later.

The centerboard problem was more challenging. I ran a thin piece of metal up along side of the centerboard and hosed it to clean out the debris and marine growth. This got me about two inches of movement on the centerboard.

Name:	Bauer 10 Centerboard.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	120463

Next I attempted to drop the centerboard and the centerboard receiver. Receiver is what Bauteck calls the centerboard housing. No joy, neither the centerboard nor the receiver would drop more than two inches.

Name:	Bauer 10 Centerboard  Receiver.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	120464

Finally after much finagling it dropped. BTW, I had the pennant belayed to prevent the board from dropping more than a few inches. Here's the centerboard/receiver.

Name:	Centerboard and Receiver.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	120469

It seems that mud had accumulated at the top of the receiver. When the mud dried it kept the board from descending and also fouled the pennant. The combination of water and finagling the board/receiver finally broke it loose.

Back to the Marconi rig. The Marconi rig has a larger mail sail and the sail adjustments that you expect of a performance boat. The Gunther rig is much simpler but has the advantage of being able to be stored in the boat as one package with the sails bend on. The Marconi rig can also be stored in the boat as the mast is two pieces. If I were land based and could keep the B-10 fully rigged I would prefer the Marconi rig. For the trawler, the Gunther rig is preferable.

Here's the pdf for the centerboard/pennant/bungie cord:

Bauer -10 CENTERBOARD and BUNGIE REMOVAL.pdf

Here's the pdf for rigging the B-10:

Bauer -10 gaff rig instr. 2015.pdf

Here's a pdf for bending on the B-10 sails:

Bauer -10 GAFF-BENDING SAILS ON.pdf

Bruce
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote