View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
OK - to summarize - It appears the general consensus (with exceptions) is the a well designed hard chined planing hull is more stable at rest than a soft chined displacement hull. Also - in average-good conditions, the same planing hull has less roll traveling at speed than a displacement hull traveling at 6-8 knots.
The reverse is true when the weather turns really ugly and the planing hull must slow to displacement speed. In this situation, a well designed displacement hull is much better equipped to ride out the storm, whereas the planing hull operator should read the changing weather and use its speed to get to safe water.
Have I got this right?
Well sort of

Back in the day... New England 1960's/70's... IMHO: I've been in heavy weather off shore aboard different hull designs. Much has to do with the operator's abilities (especially in conflicting seas), low center of gravity (to help the operator avoid broach), and available power (in a boat of D, SD/SP or P) to ride up during fast moving close duration following seas. Sooo... I think most well designed and built boats of any hull have good chances if the operator really knows what to do. Some are more comfortable in certain types of seas. But, bottom line, the buck stops at the hands of the Captain's handling capabilities.

Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote