View Single Post
Old 08-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #11
Njlarry

City: Rock Hall Md
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpseadog View Post
I have installed residential smoke detectors in my engine room, pilot house and flybridge. These are wireless connected so if the one in the engine room activates, all the others will sound the alarm. About $100 for all 3. They work, aren't CG required, so it is irrelevant whether approved for that application.

Also, I have an "Element 50" extinguisher available as a backup to the USCG required extinguishers. Actually I would use that first because it doesn't leave corrosive residue that would destroy my electronics. There are videos of the "Element" system on YouTube. They cost about $85 each, but are highly effective cheap insurance.

Almost all fires start out small, and a smoke detector system would alert you while the fire is in very early stage when it could be easily extinguished. Halon and other fixed system typically don't activate until much later. [emoji924][emoji4]
Thank you, lots of good info. By approved I didnt mean CG approved but designed by the manufacturer to work in the hot closed area of an engine room.
Njlarry is offline   Reply With Quote