1977 CHB Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dartagnan

Not new to the forum, but been a "reader" not a poster. With that I'm considering the purchase of a 1977 CHB. The model is like none I've seen before. It is like a Europa version of the Grand Banks or Ocean Alexander. The flybridge extends over the transom and sides where you have a narrow walkway around the deck. I've searched what I can find online and there is no mention of this CHB model. Anyone out the have one? Or, know what model this is?

Additionally, I see the same issue with the rudder arm that others have. My concern is what causes it?? A trusted repairman told me that the is a considerable turbulence in that area caused by the prop. Also, the previous owner changed from the factory three blade prop to a four blade compounding the issue. This one is almost cracked thru the arm at the bottom race of the rudder. Anyone??

Attachments

• IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
When I bought Angelina in 1993 her rudder aperture looked similar. You need to grind down each of those cracks back to good fiberglass or metal. Then build it back up again with alternating layers of glass mat and woven mat saturated with epoxy. Finish up with Marine Tex to get it nice and smooth. No worries since.

I would seriously clean up that rudder and prop. These things are slow enough.

Good luck with it.

So, are you saying the cracks were only in the fiberglass cover? It appears that the arm itself is bronze and I'm not certain what is actually cracked. If its the fiberglass that's an easy fix. If the arm itself is cracked then it has to come off and be re-welded I would think. I'm going to have to take a closer look!

Dartagnan, what you appear to have there is a CHB34 in the sedan version like my 1975 model was, (sold in Australia as the Clipper 34), but they have actually extended the hard-top to cover the whole cockpit and side decks like later models did. If it was done like that ex-factory, then if it is a '77 model, you have a bit of a gem. However, at that age, I suspect it was added.

Re the rudder issue. One of the first things identified as needing done at our survey was the bottom rudder bearing needed replacing - looks like that also needs to be done. But I agree that the cracks are probably just in the glass coating over the foot, which is, I'm sure, bronze metal - or should be.

Never-the-less, that mod re the hard-top is fantastic. I liked it so much when the later models came out like that, I had an alloy and canvass adaptation done to our boat when the small cockpit canopy that originally only came out from the cabin top's aft edge, and fell way short of the transom, was flogged to death in a storm. It was the best mod we ever did to her, and it transformed the boat's overall function weather wise. See pics...

Attachments

• 656BE041-908A-46BD-91EB-5B104DFC1E06_1_105_c.jpeg
    656BE041-908A-46BD-91EB-5B104DFC1E06_1_105_c.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 18
  • EFA43C0F-B230-4DEA-A2D1-6645F9F45D83_1_105_c.jpeg
    EFA43C0F-B230-4DEA-A2D1-6645F9F45D83_1_105_c.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 19
  • 77B4EAFD-90E1-4C63-B525-3A72FC4B4D8A_1_105_c.jpeg
    77B4EAFD-90E1-4C63-B525-3A72FC4B4D8A_1_105_c.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 72E1E79A-1E80-43CD-A4A6-3866B823BE2D_1_105_c.jpeg
    72E1E79A-1E80-43CD-A4A6-3866B823BE2D_1_105_c.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Thank You!

Peter B,

Thanks, I was hoping someone knew something about this boat. The following:

https://marine-trader-trawler-nostr.../02/a-good-check-list-for-buying-any-new.html

lists several models of he CHB's and as you can see there are a few Sedan models listed, but none in 1977. Without pictures I had no idea what a Sedan looked like, so your input was appreciated. Are you saying that in 1977 they didn't make the sedan model and this one was not a factory version? Could be I guess, but it was done with precision and looks like a production model. It has the single berth forward which leads me to believe it came from the factory that way. Anyway, we really liked the boat and is in excellent condition inside with no water damage. It hasn't been used much in the past four years and needs a good exterior cleaning. Thanks again!

"Are you saying that in 1977 they didn't make the sedan model and this one was not a factory version?"

No, sorry dartagnan, I was referring to the extended hard-top you describe covering cockpit and side decks. They definitely made a sedan, but they were very rare back in the 70s, as the vast majority were at that time the tri-cabin or aft cabin style, and the cockpit canopy, as I said in my post, only covered about 3/4 of the cockpit and not the side decks at all.

The hard-top you mention on the vessel you are looking at is the part I think might have been added. If so, it was done very well from the photos. A closer inspection should determine if I'm right. However, it is possible it was a factory custom-built modification, ordered by the first owner, and if so it is even rarer. Definitely a keeper if in good condition otherwise..! :thumb:

The tri, or aft cabin style, was by far the most common model from their beginning to about the early 2000s. Now the sedan style, now often called the Europa style is the norm in new builds.

About the mid 80s, they started making both versions fully in fibreglass, ie, for the cabins as well, and then in the late 90s and 2000s they began adding the extended hard-top.

I was thinking going for the tri-cabin version myself, but my wife wanted the larger aft cockpit, (greatly reduced in size and usefulness in the tri-cabin), and the indoor-outdoor, one level, type of living that that layout fostered. So, we had to wait until one came up on the market - and it was a bit of a project - but she was right..! Loved that large cockpit. :smitten:

By the way, you don't tend to end up taking out non-family for over-nighters anywhere as often as you think you will. The saloon seating converts to 2 doubles in our sedan and that was fine for the odd family outing. Being able to close a door between the front cabin and the toilet lobby was another plus. That feature was lost in later models when they went to an island front berth and larger en suite toilet/shower. Meant visitors had to come into the bedroom to access the loo. Not so good. Made them essentially just a couple's boat for overnighting.

PS. That link opened a very useful list of stuff to be aware of about CHB type boats. Dauntingly detailed, and exhaustive, but still very useful. Just don't try to deal with it all at once. :D

Last edited:
Thank You!

Very interesting Pete! I am glad you responded, and your comments on salon and layout are right on target. We have been sailing all our lives and loved it, but now in our seventies we realized it was rare that we took friends or family and our 40' boats seemed a waste. Additionally, managing all the moving parts of a boat under sail was a physical challenge. We sold it last year and started looking for a trawler. We have been "kissing a lot of toads" until we came upon this one. We liked everything about it. The canvas is in good shape but filthy. The hull has lost its luster, but those things can be brought back. You seem to know a bit about these boats. I haven't found much online. Do you know where I can find any additional information once I have the hull number? Are there any factory archives??

Dartagnan, just explore this very CHB section, and you'll find more info about these boats than you can shake a stick at. The feature of them is there were so many so similar - ie a common hull mould/similar layout - yet slightly different, as several yards turned them out, as listed in that link you attached above.

So, there is no one manual that would ever cover them all. However, one common part to many was the trusty Lehman 120hp diesel engine, and they used mainly two gear boxes, a Paragon such as mine had, and Borg Warner as many others have.
There are manuals available for both - I think even under a 'sticky' thread on this forum.

I've attached a few more interior pics - is the one you're looking out laid out similarly..? How about a photo of that hard-top if possible, I'm intrigued...

Attachments

• 046FB73F-EAF5-48E6-8887-F127738B5708.jpg
    046FB73F-EAF5-48E6-8887-F127738B5708.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 30
  • E15E1883-BC2C-41A0-B43A-9658721F20A4.jpg
    E15E1883-BC2C-41A0-B43A-9658721F20A4.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 551A4CC7-8ABB-4BC1-88E2-97B1C6252B82.jpg
    551A4CC7-8ABB-4BC1-88E2-97B1C6252B82.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 23
  • 922D6CC3-F700-434E-822B-619332E25438.jpg
    922D6CC3-F700-434E-822B-619332E25438.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Pete,

Yes it is intriguing. Over time owners have added, deleted and re-made, and generally changed the boats to meet individual tastes. This boat has been owned by the present owner for 25years and fortunately I've been able to talk to him. It has been an interesting journey, much like discovering your family tree for the first time. As you can see by the attached photos the original bones are clearly visible. The salon table, cockpit console, etc. are clearly the same, but the port side of the boat obviously has been redone. Quite well we think. We only found very minor leak stain in the very corners of the forward cockpit windows. It appears that they were caught early because they obviously are dry and no warping. Another interesting thing is the entire forward facing windows in the cockpit are double paned. Hmmm!

Attachments

• IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 228
That is interesting how they've done the galley. Actually, the way it is now is more like the later Evolution series Clipper 34s, from early 2000s on, (until they dropped the 34 entirely and stretched it a bit to 36'), with the galley along the port side and a dinette.

What was the story regarding that extended hard-top D..? Was it added or a custom built mod from new..? It's great to have whatever the method. Some pics of that would be good.

Last edited:
Looks just like my 77 C&L Marine motor-sailer!

The cockpit area and seating is very similar to my 1985 Marine Trader 44. I bet they were made in the same yard. Anyway I like the layout and love the hardtop over the stern.

I have a 41ft Cheer Men, built in 1982. The hull is allegedly an Ed Monk design and looks similar to yours.
4 different companies in Kaohsiung Taiwan made effectively the same boat - maybe more.
I know of Litton and Tiger Marine who made the same and smaller versions. Marine Trader also made a version with a goofier looking house.

Attachments

• Phantom on Erie Canal 2020.jpg
    Phantom on Erie Canal 2020.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 15
I haven’t read the whole thread but quite a bit and saw no mention of overpropping. I read what I read assuming everyone was propped to rated rpm.

Overpropping would make things very different. Just 100rpm overpropped could make you’re running rpm 3-400rpm down. That’s over the reduction from the overpropping.

For those that are overpropped and wish to run hard (especially long periods) I’d be re-propping to rated rpm. You’ll get peace of mind but also max power.

Last edited:
Marine Trader 34 Sedan

Dartagnan - we bought our 1984 Marine Trader 34 Sedan/Europa about 4 months ago. The struts supporting the fly bridge overhangs were completely rotted and removed. The boat also has very soft decks, especially the cockpit, due to the core being wet/mush. So slowly working on replacing the struts and the deck core - the deck work won’t start until winter due to the summer rains.
My wife really wanted the Sedan - great living space and a large cockpit. In the pic you will see that the struts are missing and that I have replaced all the canvas…..

Attachments

• 7589FC94-9D1D-46DD-B326-64B8610EB481.jpg
    7589FC94-9D1D-46DD-B326-64B8610EB481.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom