Ceramic plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corbs

Hi there
I have a 44 ft Kong and Halverson Island Gypsy that I’m restoring and one thing I can’t find is the significance of the small ceramic tile on each side of the boat. If any one knows what is supposed to look like I would be grateful.

Welcome to TF. As to your query, one idea that did spring to mind is that IGs always seem to have their symbol mounted on each side of the cabin near the cockpit. Maybe yours have just faded so much you can't see what it was..? I'll see if I can upload a shot of what I'm talking about...it may not work, and I never owned one. BruceK used to have one though, so might well be able to help..?
It's a bit far away, but is it that area on the rear part of the cabin side where these tiles are placed..? The symbol takes the form of a couple of crossed flags, from memory, with Island Gypsy - or maybe just IG under it.
You can see it again near the cockpit on this boat advertised here... https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s9/island-gypsy-32%92-1987-a-59486.html#post1029701

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 1.05.53 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 1.05.53 pm.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
The badge insignia has 2 crossed flags with "Island Gypsy" across the 2 flag staves. They are painted in a variety of enameled colours. Location is as in PeterB`s pic, though on a Europa on the aft FB supports. I bought replacements from Mark Halvorsen some years ago, whether you`d find him or the badges I don`t know. I have a recollection the two flags have an unintended meaning, but can`t remember what it was. They can get badly degraded and bits of the words break off.
Maybe post pics of yours, or what is left of them, I might be able to help with the colours.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
I have the insignias on the side and they are in great condition. These are approximately 4inch square tiles closer to the bow on the hull just in front or almost in line with the cabin door. I will take some pictures, they are very faded and pitted but restorable. One idea I had was the four colours that are on the insignias as I can almost make out some blue on one of them.

Yep, we are all just guessing now - we need pictures...

Ceramic tile on Gypsy

Here is a picture of the tile I was talking about.

Attachments

• 2615E20B-797B-4919-831D-D39831FF223F.jpg
    2615E20B-797B-4919-831D-D39831FF223F.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 34
It’s on both sides of the boat and I can see some red and a few blue specs which are the emblem colours.

I thought "ceramic tile" was a "cross Pacific" difference of expression, but that`s nothing I recognize, especially located there. My first thought was backing plate for a mooring line cleat.

I`ll get a pic of an unused mint IG emblem, and post it, soon.

Does your boat have its builders plate affixed above the windscreen, with IG crossed flags and hull number? That might give you the colors.

Hi,

Sure they aren`t backing plates for the mooring cleats? if they have four holes in them, the mooring cleats are immediately inboard from them and have four bolts that are tapped into these plates.

Is it at your sling mark? Maybe they used a block to keep sling off rub rail and these plates protected the hull from the block. First thought was a ladder support pad but does not seem to be at an entry gate.

Plates

Thanks to Brisyboy
I figured it out they are the backing plates for the cleats.
Thanks all.

It`s possible someone decorated the exterior of the backing plates. Alternatively, a ghostly image has surfaced on the plates.
Here`s what I thought the OP was talking about. Fortunately,the plastic preserving the badges doesn`t seem to degrade the image, I was loath to remove it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom