Not what you want to wake up next to!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
But it is better than waking up on top of. He is stern tied to shore and there are about a dozen people sleeping on the boat. No one is up yet. Surprise !!

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
Think it’ll be underwater when they wake up? Ignorance is bliss right? It amazes me how some folks just go along without a care and always come out ok.
It only takes one encounter with a rock though…

Last edited by a moderator:
But it is better than waking up on top of. He is stern tied to shore and there are about a dozen people sleeping on the boat. No one is up yet. Surprise !!

You should wake him before the rocks disappear in the rising tide. He needs to know!

They are up and the tide is coming in now. All is good.

The channel was dredged two years ago and there is adequate depth for the most part. Does get a "little skinny" on a minus tide though.

The channel was dredged two years ago and there is adequate depth for the most part. Does get a "little skinny" on a minus tide though.

Thanks for that. I wasn’t sure when it was dredged last, haven’t been through there in 15 years or more. Not going on a minus tide, I think the low is around 4 foot or so.

There are things that go bump in the night....

That feels like Smugglers Cove, the first time we ever went in there and tied up at high tide. We watched the depth sounder and it looked fine, but in the morning soooo many more rocks than you could see before. You really want to second guess any spot that is missing a steel ring to tie to and if there is one, don’t favor the shore too much. Beautiful place and really not terribly difficult, but if I chose a spot I’d not been in, I’d rather come in at a low with my eyes peeled.

What is odd to me is that those stern lines look very slack. If they tied them at high tide, I would expect them to be hanging above the water, not draped over the dinghy.

I've shoehorned myself into some pretty tight spaces between rocks before, but it sure looks like they could swing into that one.

Of course, we know my boat has an affinity for rocks.

Oh wow, that looks like the rock outside of Ludlow?

How did that happen?

What is odd to me is that those stern lines look very slack. If they tied them at high tide, I would expect them to be hanging above the water, not draped over the dinghy.

I've shoehorned myself into some pretty tight spaces between rocks before, but it sure looks like they could swing into that one.

Of course, we know my boat has an affinity for rocks.

Seems about what I would expect. If the lines were tight at high tide, they would be slack at low tide.

Edit: Oh, wait! It was mentioned that the stern line was attached to shore. You have something there, Dave!

Last edited:
This was at Skull Island, West Sound, Orcas Island.

This was at Skull Island, West Sound, Orcas Island.

We love Skull and anchor there almost every year. I am guessing it is the rock in the small cove that often has a flag on it? If not let me know! We always anchor on the East side of Skull with easy dinghy access to the pocket beach.
~A

Oh wow, that looks like the rock outside of Ludlow?

How did that happen?

It was. The prior owner’s home port was Port Ludlow. He did this not long after buying the boat new. He told me that he often ran the boat at 10 knots (he had lots of money to burn). I’ve only had the boat up to 10 knots a few times, all were sea trials and engine tests.

He hit the rock at speed at high tide. The boat got stuck and the tide went out. A bit under 6 hours later an over-eager tow operator pulled the boat off the rocks. It was towed to Port Townsend Boat Haven. A bit of minor surface fiberglass damage on the bottom near the stern that was easily repaired. The running gear wasn’t touched.

Trevor Brice, the owner of North Pacific Yachts, was the broker when I bought the boat. He let me know about the incident. I told my surveyor and asked him to check that area of the hull particularly carefully. He couldn’t find a thing.

This was the NW tip of Skull Island in the narrow passage between Orcas and Skull.

This was the NW tip of Skull Island in the narrow passage between Orcas and Skull.

Ah. Thanks, understood. I've taken the dink in there and the prop had the scars to prove it!

~A

When the park buoy failed it was a single power boat.

Was that when one of the WA state marine park buoys failed?

Nope. The 3 boats were side tied and swinging on one 18# Danforth. Light wind shifted to the north late and they drug onto the rocks at high tide while all slept through it below. All parties were only 2 or 3 months ownership/experience. Bottom there is sketchy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom