Deadrise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenj0727

Vessel Name
TASK 4 TWO
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38 ft trawler
I have a 1987 OA 38ft trawler. Want to purchase a new transducer but do not know the hull deadrise. Anybody have this information, boat is presently in water and cannot measure.

It will likely vary depending on where you place it.
Pick your location and measure it from the inside.
If you use a Xdcr that shoots through the hull the mounting is adjustable.
If you use the style with a fairing block the block can be cut after you locate the xdcr and drill the hole. The block gets cut in "half" on a bandsaw with one piece on outside and the mating piece on the inside.so the xdcr remains veticle.
The ones that are flush and drilled thru hull are the only ones you need to know the deadrise ahead of time but as I stated above it can be measured inside once you pick your location. These cover a range of angles so you only need to measure approximate angle vs being precise.

Last edited:
I use an digital angle gauge to measure it. You can do it on the inside where you plan on mounting it. It should be pretty close. I would use a tilted array transducer. The array inside the housing is put in at an angle so you don’t have to mess with a block to get it vertical. I have put them in several boats and haven’t had any issues.

X2 to the above post and in addition:

Iphones and presumably all others have a native app that displays the angle the phone
is being held at. I use this constantly instead of digging out a bullet or some other level.

Just hold the phone against the hull next to the transducer port after opening the app.

Last edited:
Bubble app

Bruce

Iphones and presumably all others have a native app that displays the angle the phone
is being held at. Just hold the phone against the hull next to the transducer port after opening the app.

Back
Top Bottom