Haul out day today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tidahapah

Guru
Vessel Name
Flora
Vessel Make
Timber southern cray boat
Been doing too much work this year so have missed my 12 monthly haul out by about 6 weeks.
Out today and water blasted.
Will look at the hull a bit more closely tomorrow, give it a wet sand, remove a few annodes,check a few seams and be ready for antifoul.
Top sides require a bit of a paint job but going to try and put that of until next year and do a complete paint job.

Attachments

• P1010882.jpg
    P1010882.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 164
  • P1010883.JPG
    P1010883.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 181
  • P1010884.JPG
    P1010884.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 168
  • P1010885.JPG
    P1010885.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Looks good from here !

You are right.
It was suprisingly good and mainly slime on the hull.
Good HP blast a light wet sand and she is antifouled.
A little touch up on the gloss but not much as she is due for a full repaint in 12 months.
Prop speed was in near perfect condition so should be back in the water Friday afternoon and heading north on Monday, weather permitting.
Mind you she has not been out much in the last 12 months, a couple of 2 week trips up to Fraser Island is all we have done.

All is good with the world.

Ben,
I would think water blasting a planked wood hull would blast much of the caulking out.

Ben,
I would think water blasting a planked wood hull would blast much of the caulking out.

Did it for 22 + yrs. No problem. Good sticky seam compound (like Slick seam) is your friend.

Willy ,
never have a problem , unless the putty is very loose and then it deserves to come out.
I use normal Linseed oil putty above the water line and below that I use linseed oil putty mixed with antifoul and a bit of plasterers whitening..
This is on top of the caulking.
I have sika flexe the 2 seams around the water line and they have held for the last 14 years.
Even the putty seams don't take much filling.

"Been doing too much work this year so have missed my 12 monthly haul out by about 6 weeks."
Looking good; especially for Qld. What kind of antifoul are you using? I've seen a few boats which are advertised as "Great condition, just in need of annual antifouling" which have a complete ecosystem happening on the hull. They look like they haven't been out of the water for a decade. The cleanliness of the hull tends to be indicative of the overall condition, so you must be giving your boat some good lovin'.

Mate,
Over the years I have used them all.
being in the business I normally got VG deals.
For the last 5 years I have used nothing but International Copper Kote Extra.
Can't get the extra thru normal channels only as a boat builder/repairer.
Best bottom paint for a timber boat I have come accross lately.
Cheers

can i ask how long from pulling it out of the water to anti fouling the hull time wise do you leave it

My boat is f/g, and in Sydney. That said, Jotun Seaguardian, applied to a freshly primed freshly fully sanded hull just came up after 16 months, quite clean except for some slime. The running gear on which the yard used the same a/f (should have been, now is, in hard a/f) was a complete disgrace. I did it, leaving the hull to next time, when I will also explore using Prop-Speed.

Drew,
If I am comming out strictly for a hull clean and antifoul it is usually about 3/4 days.
Haul out and water blast (double slings for timber boat) other wise it is a traditional cradle slipway.
My boat takes about 2 to 3 hours to give it a good blast.
Into the hard stand area and remove all hull fittings and annodes.
Wet sand hull for paint prep, fill any seams that require it.
Mask the waterline and above, spray on 2 coats antifoul, (3 around the waterline).Replace all grates and annodes and touch up antifoul as required
The day after spraying back in the water.
Other time I am out for 10 to 14 days and usually try and time it for ant time between march and June , depends on when or if I am heading north.
Cheers
Benn

Back
Top Bottom