View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #27
Hippocampus
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
May want to look at noonsite. Much of European waters have increasingly strict regulations about grey water and that trend continues. Here in the US ships(particularly cruise ships) are finding themselves under restrains and Canada is following that lead. There are already inland waters and areas of shell fish harvest or aquaculture where I think rules exist. You’re right at present there’s no federal code effecting small pleasure boats in US waters only restrictions placed by private entities. Still, personally think it’s just a matter of time. That’s why I referenced new construction in the future and made no statements about the current situation.
At least for us much of our grey water contains soaps and detergents. Maybe the thinking is dispersants are bad. Much like putting Dawn on a diesel leak. Don’t know enough about why there’s a current move to restrict grey water releases but do think it’s in our future hence the prior post. I live on a stocked pond in a governmental park. It’s illegal to wash up in that pond. Also no human wastes. (Don’t know how they can prevent a swimmer or how to document it occurred so ridiculous regulation). No runoff (grey, black or even surface ground) can enter the pond so EPA, local environmental, building and water committees all have to pass new construction/renovations. Wouldn’t be surprised if coastal land owners and marinas will face similar issues in the future.
Peggy you may correct me given your knowledge base but my understanding is that urine passing through your MSD picks up the flora of that system on its way out so is different than relatively sterile urine coming out a person directly into the water. Also as you pointed out even urine coming directly out of a person isn’t truly sterile as previously thought.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote