Dreaming of cruising to ICW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BamaRican

Hi everyone!

I have been on the water most of my life. Sailed a 50 meter Army vessel all over from 1994-2001. Then decided that lakes and rivers were ok too.

My wife and I were fortunate to have a pontoon boat during COVID which I restored and sold in order to get our new acquisition!

We are the proud owners of a 1973 Cargile Cutter. We named her BamaRican because my wife is from Alabama and I’m Puertorican. If I ever get her insured we plan on enjoying Lake Lanier for the rest of the season.

Next year the adventure will be to trailer her to Augusta, Georgia and cruise down to Savannah and back. After gaining confidence on our vessel, we plan on going down the ICW.

That been said, this forum is the perfect vehicle to gather the collective wisdom of all of you.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

IMG_1867.JPG

Welcome aboard. I think you have a great boat for the loop. Or for just about anywhere, really. :)

Welcome.

In general, the ICW is not difficult and probably simpler than your planned trip from Augusta to Savannah, because it is charted, marked and there are several publications dealing with it.

I would suggest buying the Waterway Guide Atlantic ICW guidebook to start.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/ship-store/product/91

Read it a few times to get an idea of what you are getting in to.

Unlike a cruise across an ocean, an ICW cruise, even from Norfolk to Miami is little more than a series of day trips.

If you're coming from lake boating, your biggest challenge will be tides and tidal currents. Be prepared and study what you can.

Next year the adventure will be to trailer her to Augusta, Georgia and cruise down to Savannah and back. After gaining confidence on our vessel, we plan on going down the ICW.

Yep, like Ron says, the ICW can be a series of short hops, with lots of decent places to sample the roses and smell the coffee. Waterway Guide and ActiveCaptain can be you friends. Doesn't look like your boat will draw much, but for us, we've found matching transit times (at specific places) to tides to often be important.

There are cost options: drive fast (fuel $$$$) and stay in marinas ($$$), drive slow (fuel $) and stay in marinas ($$$), drive slow (fuel $) and anchor out, etc. Latter might mean needing a dinghy, but a simple rowed inflatable could be sufficient for many town visits...

-Chris

Hi everyone!

I have been on the water most of my life. Sailed a 50 meter Army vessel all over from 1994-2001. Then decided that lakes and rivers were ok too.

My wife and I were fortunate to have a pontoon boat during COVID which I restored and sold in order to get our new acquisition!

We are the proud owners of a 1973 Cargile Cutter. We named her BamaRican because my wife is from Alabama and I’m Puertorican. If I ever get her insured we plan on enjoying Lake Lanier for the rest of the season.

That been said, this forum is the perfect vehicle to gather the collective wisdom of all of you.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

View attachment 120180

Ah yes, Lake Lanier..... everyone lines up, goes to the end of the lake, turn around and everyone goes to the other end of the lake. Islands? Just remember the rattle snakes and and and etc.

If you're a FaceBook user, you can gain good insight on the safe and fun navigation of the AICW from the ICW Cruising Guide by Bob423 FaceBook group. If you have any particular questions about Florida's AICW, that's my cruising stomping grounds
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ICWCruisingGuide

Wifey B: I didn't know you could boat down the Savannah river from Augusta to Savannah? :eek:

It is charted with NOAA charts with mile marks similar to the ICW...thought I saw 200 mi at Agusta.

Not real deep but for an IO....an adventure.

It is charted with NOAA charts with mile marks similar to the ICW...thought I saw 200 mi at Agusta.

Not real deep but for an IO....an adventure.

Have you cruised through there? I would like to pick your brain if you have.

No I haven't, but a lot of rivers are not cruised except locally due to uncertainty of charts....it becomes a matter of are they charted and marked for commercial navigation so you can somewhat rely on them. I haven't looked at the charting past the NOAA raster downloads I keep on my phone.

Back
Top Bottom