A newbie preparing for a great journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rental / charters that come to mind are not it NYC area AFAIK.
Trawler Ones I'm aware of include FL (Fort Meyers Gulf Coast area). Seattle / Anacortes
Not trawler but a chance to experience cruising in an absolutely beautiful area... LeBoat on the Rideau Canal in Canada. That actually might be an easier start w/o more training and a stepping stone to gaining experience and building a resume for Trawler chartering next.

Thanks! I'm sure we'll make it to Florida in due time. That place is magnetic for some reason.

My plan never materialized...
We had sport cruisers for many years and enjoyed cruising. Though a reasonable plan would be to charter in the San Juan Is to experience boating a distant area and to see how a trawler fir our style.
Finally got interested enough to look at a few and found a 34 Mainship layout seem to match our musts, wants & dont wants very well. Found a little used fresh water boat and jumped at the chance never having chartered one.
No regrets but having our lists clear helped provide confidence we had it right.

If you have never owned a boat I would defiantly charter one first and see what you like about the lifestyle and don't. If you have a captained charter the captain can show you how to run a larger vessel and pick his brain about all subjects from maint to repairs to operations.

You have quite a few options at 80-90k. I know this is a trawler forum and I am a trawler fan owning 2 currently but Honestly at those prices and for a reasonably quick flip without much loss if any. I’d prob be looking at a smaller sport fishing boat. A post 42 or hatteras 42-45 are well within your price range will easily have the headroom your looking for, queen bed, full shower you can stand up in and adequate range. When pulled back to 8kts will drink similar fuel. One with older Detroit diesel non turbo motors will be reliable with high tbo and great starter engine for learning diesel engines. All will come with the generator you are needing, finding one with a nice bow pulpit with electric winch and anchor setup shouldn’t be too hard. And maybe finding one with a deck crane if you are staying at anchor much and want a nice skiff. And there is not much in the americas they wouldn’t be capable of going and doing. You will see both of them regularly in all parts of the east coast, the Caribbean, Bahamas, south past Panama, up the west coast and almost all on there own bottom, there are prob more sport fishing boats making that same trip per year chasing tuna and marlin than trawlers.

You have quite a few options at 80-90k. I know this is a trawler forum and I am a trawler fan owning 2 currently but Honestly at those prices and for a reasonably quick flip without much loss if any. I’d prob be looking at a smaller sport fishing boat. A post 42 or hatteras 42-45 are well within your price range will easily have the headroom your looking for, queen bed, full shower you can stand up in and adequate range. When pulled back to 8kts will drink similar fuel. One with older Detroit diesel non turbo motors will be reliable with high tbo and great starter engine for learning diesel engines. All will come with the generator you are needing, finding one with a nice bow pulpit with electric winch and anchor setup shouldn’t be too hard. And maybe finding one with a deck crane if you are staying at anchor much and want a nice skiff. And there is not much in the americas they wouldn’t be capable of going and doing. You will see both of them regularly in all parts of the east coast, the Caribbean, Bahamas, south past Panama, up the west coast and almost all on there own bottom, there are prob more sport fishing boats making that same trip per year chasing tuna and marlin than trawlers.

I am absolutely looking at smaller sport fishers. Having extra speed on hand with additional seaworthiness is something I would like.

May be foolish...

Hi Maybefoolish, I find it quite refreshing for you and your soon to be bride to have this dream early in your life together. Congratulations! Most of us of your parents generation dragged our feet in some cases until it was almost too late. Go for it, you'll do fine and have fun.
We live on the Maine coast and it is safe and spectacular. Hone some boat handling and piloting skills through the American Boating Club as others have advised. You will love the Maine coast and recognize the lifetime of cruising possibilities here, you may never leave. We are available anytime for cruising advice on Maine coast cruising via phone, email, text.
Our experience with height being short, is that we fit well in our 36' Grand Banks, however have had folks of your height try it, no joy. But we have seen our friend (6'6" ) in their Nordic Tug and they fit very well. I would recommend an older 32 or 37 Nordic Tug. These are an excellent vessel. Roomy with enough separation for a working young couple when needed. Is being a flying bridge too give you another nice area to operate and live in.
Best of luck. Contact me if you have any questions about cruising in Maine

Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic
Potts Harbor (Casco Bay)Maine
207-833-5080 (H)
207-720-0531 (C)

Hi Maybefoolish, I find it quite refreshing for you and your soon to be bride to have this dream early in your life together. Congratulations! Most of us of your parents generation dragged our feet in some cases until it was almost too late. Go for it, you'll do fine and have fun.
We live on the Maine coast and it is safe and spectacular. Hone some boat handling and piloting skills through the American Boating Club as others have advised. You will love the Maine coast and recognize the lifetime of cruising possibilities here, you may never leave. We are available anytime for cruising advice on Maine coast cruising via phone, email, text.
Our experience with height being short, is that we fit well in our 36' Grand Banks, however have had folks of your height try it, no joy. But we have seen our friend (6'6" ) in their Nordic Tug and they fit very well. I would recommend an older 32 or 37 Nordic Tug. These are an excellent vessel. Roomy with enough separation for a working young couple when needed. Is being a flying bridge too give you another nice area to operate and live in.
Best of luck. Contact me if you have any questions about cruising in Maine

Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic
Potts Harbor (Casco Bay)Maine
207-833-5080 (H)
207-720-0531 (C)

Thanks! I can tell just from looking at it they maine has a lot of cruising. It's part of the reason I think this trip will be more than a year. I'll get on contact with you closer to the trip for advice and recommendations.

Welcome

I am a bit late to the discussion. However I would like to toss in that I am on a 1979 DeFever 43 trawler with a cabin height of 78 inches, even in the galley. So definitely put these on your list to look at. I wish I would’ve gone cruising like your planning at 24. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom