fire extinguisher mounts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Unicorn
Vessel Make
1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
I am looking for some innovative FI mounts for variety of FI sizes.

I do not like to store them in cabinets I prefer to have them hung and visible.

I don't seem to like the mounts they usually come with for a variety of reasons.

Does anyone have some clever and effective mounts?

BTW prefer non corrosive materials.

Thanks.

Oh boy, my next Starboard project.

"I don't seem to like the mounts they usually come with for a variety of reasons."

Yes, BUT the mount is part of the fire extinguisher , and I have been told it MUST be used to count as a safety item.

No idea weather this is correct, but after a fire the insurance company surveyor will know.

"I don't seem to like the mounts they usually come with for a variety of reasons."

Yes, BUT the mount is part of the fire extinguisher , and I have been told it MUST be used to count as a safety item.

No idea weather this is correct, but after a fire the insurance company surveyor will know.

i don't care about insurance, surveys or resale value.

My only concerns are Safety, functionality and beauty.

Safety is the reason it is on the USCG boarding form.

The extinguisher to be USCG approved must have a retaining bracket, not just the "hanging hook".

If they don't meet the boarding officer's understanding of "retaining bracket", you may get a warning or violation. I do doubt that t hough as I know lots of people who got stern warnings from the USCG for having them stored in cabinets ( not mounted) but didn't get a violation ( not sure of the warning that does involve some letter writing).

I think the linked bracket would be accepted.....but ya never know.

Last edited:
I have had CG all they care about is the state of charge.

I have had CG all they care about is the state of charge.

....the boarding(s) you have been through extinguisher pressure may be all they cared about....a few in the many.

I am pretty sure that the bracket is why one extinguisher is USCG approved and the hook kind sold with extinguisher are not. They do check in some instances as every boarding does go a bit differently.

They also have been known to check the 12 year NFPA expiration rule as well as the condition of the safety pull pin.

Coast Guard Approved extinguishers are hand-portable, either B-I or B-II classification and have a specific marine type mounting bracket. It is recommended the extinguishers be mounted in a readily accessible position.

Last edited:
I don't let CG aux inspectors on board.

The only time i get CG boarding is in the middle of the ocean when my sexy GF has the stringy bikini on.

I am not joking either.

There's always a first time, just trying to keep members up on rules and regs whether they follow them or not

There's always a first time, just trying to keep members up on rules and regs whether they follow them or not

thank you, appreciate your contributions.

Oh boy, my next Starboard project.

$90 for an ugly plastic bracket!!! Find out if your local high school has a woodshop class. Buy a $40 piece of 1/2" teak and take the board, the picture, and the extinguisher to the instructor. In a couple of weeks you'll have two beautiful brackets and some kid will get an A.

More info

https://fireextinguisherdepot.com/marine-fire-extinguishers/

Coast Guard Approved extinguishers are hand-portable, either B-I or B-II classification and have a specific marine type mounting bracket. It is recommended the extinguishers be mounted in a readily accessible position.

psneeld
That link includes the statement
"Minimums of a 5 B:C U/L rating and 2lbs. of dry chemical, 2 1/2 lbs. of Halon or 5 lbs. of CO2 are necessary to meet the requirements for a Coast Guard B classification. All extinguishers must be “restrained” in mounting brackets of the marine or motor vehicle type which have been subjected to the same rigid salt spray and vibration tests as the extinguishers (wall type brackets are not acceptable). A Marine Bracket must be used when mounting a fire extinguisher for marine use."

My understanding, as a recreational vessel examiner, is that to be USCG approved an extinguisher has to come with an approved mounting bracket. While mounting is strongly recommended (and the reasons discussed with the boat owner for education purposes) mounting is recommended but not required on recreational vessels. The only evidence that it originally came with an approved bracket is the " USCG Approval" printed on the extinguisher.
While I believe use of a non- approved bracket is technically not allowed I have to wonder if anyone has ever, or would ever be cited for using a "well designed and well made bracket like the one shown??

I agree...fortunately most Coasties are taught to use their discretion. At least to the point of not getting court martialed.

Lack of fire extinguisher or not properly mounted is often just a warning to fix.

So if a bight young person looked at the bracket and hit it with the palm of their hand and the extinguisher remained in place....of course asking permission to do it so it could pass ....but if it broke then even steven.If it survives...."pass".

I believe the USCG feels that the "regular" bracket is not suitable so ofcourse the manufacturer comes up with a 10 cents "suitable" replacement. If the average coastie can't figure that out....people who carry guns and board drug boats....maybe they are out of place to begin with.

But alas.... the correct answer is original bracket is what makes the extinguisher "USCG approved".

I think each fire extinguisher manufacturer offer an alternative bracket that is painted steel with a stainless steel body retainer band. The cost of these brackets approximates the cost of the extinguisher equipped with the approved plastic bracket.

I think each fire extinguisher manufacturer offer an alternative bracket that is painted steel with a stainless steel body retainer band. The cost of these brackets approximates the cost of the extinguisher equipped with the approved plastic bracket.

I have an extra large fire extinguisher that says right o the label "only USCG approved with XXXXXXXX or XXXXXXXX bracket."

So yes you can buy any fire extinguisher and as long as you have a "xxxxxxx" bracket, you are good to go or have a non-USCG approved bracket that looks and acts like the desired design and the USCG boarding officer uses a little discretion.

Both the bracket and the extinguisher must be USCG approved on a US flagged vessel and probably on US state registered boats. The small extinguishes from Home Depot, Lowes and Costco may be USCG approved but the plastic strap type bracket that usually comes with them is not. Google USCG approved extinguisher brackets. There are plenty available.

Please be aware of old weak hands, such as mine. The plastic strap intended to hold the fire extinguishers in place is wonderful, EXCEPT I can't pull it open. Instead I have a shoelace where the hold down strap should be. This works.

Dinette.jpg

(Extinguisher is near door to cockpit)

Another thing you fellows might not consider is the weight of the larger units. They are heavy, so aboard Seaweed I have an inordinate number of smaller ones, plus smoke alarms and three co alarms.

I'll bet starboard would be ideal too. Thanks for the idea.

Don't panic if your brackets are plastic, the ones that come from the manufacturer in the box with a USCG approved extinguisher are part of the approved package

A house doesn’t normally move unless in California. A boat does hence the requirement “USCG approved with bracket X.” I’ve never seen it not supplied with the extinguisher. Loose extinguishers seem to find their way into the bottom of whatever storage area they are laying in.

Amazon has a number of brackets. "Fire extinguisher mounts". Not fancy but meets the needs.

Amazon has a number of brackets. "Fire extinguisher mounts". Not fancy but meets the needs.

thanks Ordered a few different versions to try out. hopefully ill be on the boat in a couple of weeks. some will require mods for size etc. Ill see what works or not.

"Meets the needs" is not the the issue. There is a very specific US Coast Guard regulation for what constitutes an acceptable fire extinguisher bracket. One requirement is it must be made of fire proof material. Duh....what a concept.

"Meets the needs" is not the the issue. There is a very specific US Coast Guard regulation for what constitutes an acceptable fire extinguisher bracket. One requirement is it must be made of fire proof material. Duh....what a concept.

This is one reg that makes no sense. The extinguisher will look all pretty hanging on the wall on the report after the fire.. if the space is hot enough to melt the bracket I doubt any human could occupy the space to use said extinguisher. On the flip side.. if the bracket melts.. maybe the top will get knocked off as it falls to the deck and discharge the extinguisher
Hollywood

Most little USCG approved marine extinguishers I know of come with plastic brackets.

This from Home Depot....

Kidde
(Brand Rating: 5.0/5)
Marine Fire Extinguisher M10G with Metal Valve and Plastic Strap Bracket - 3 lbs.

I tried to correct this in post #21

This is one reg that makes no sense. The extinguisher will look all pretty hanging on the wall on the report after the fire.. if the space is hot enough to melt the bracket I doubt any human could occupy the space to use said extinguisher. On the flip side.. if the bracket melts.. maybe the top will get knocked off as it falls to the deck and discharge the extinguisher
Hollywood

Kind of like Backdraft the movie! Lol!

Thank you, Janice. Always the absolute pragmatist.

Fires move from one place to another usually down wind. If a fire extinguisher is mounted on a stainless steel bracket and the fire has moved away it might still be useful to someone but not to anyone with a one-track mind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom