TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
More info

https://fireextinguisherdepot.com/ma...extinguishers/

Coast Guard Approved extinguishers are hand-portable, either B-I or B-II classification and have a specific marine type mounting bracket. It is recommended the extinguishers be mounted in a readily accessible position.
psneeld
That link includes the statement
"Minimums of a 5 B:C U/L rating and 2lbs. of dry chemical, 2 1/2 lbs. of Halon or 5 lbs. of CO2 are necessary to meet the requirements for a Coast Guard B classification. All extinguishers must be “restrained” in mounting brackets of the marine or motor vehicle type which have been subjected to the same rigid salt spray and vibration tests as the extinguishers (wall type brackets are not acceptable). A Marine Bracket must be used when mounting a fire extinguisher for marine use."

My understanding, as a recreational vessel examiner, is that to be USCG approved an extinguisher has to come with an approved mounting bracket. While mounting is strongly recommended (and the reasons discussed with the boat owner for education purposes) mounting is recommended but not required on recreational vessels. The only evidence that it originally came with an approved bracket is the " USCG Approval" printed on the extinguisher.
While I believe use of a non- approved bracket is technically not allowed I have to wonder if anyone has ever, or would ever be cited for using a "well designed and well made bracket like the one shown??
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote