My new 34 Mainship Trawler 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bej

Vessel Name
Summertime
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Trawler
Hello everyone my name is Brian and my wife Marie and I are the proud new owners of a 34 main ship 2005 trawler. We purchased the new boat in North Carolina at Carolina Beach and on May 24 we cruised the intercoastal almost 700 miles to Vero beach Florida where we live. Our boat has the Yanmar 370 single diesel with bow and stern thrusters. Her name is Summertime and she has a little over 1400 hours. We are extremely happy with our new acquisition and she is fine boat in excellent condition. We hope to enjoy her for many years to come.

We are looking forward to meeting many new people in this new adventure of our life.

Well welcome aboard TF Brian and Marie.
Lots of current & past owners of MS here and lots of good info.
If you haven't done so already peruse the Marlow-Manship builders section especially the stickies re parts info & sources. Also take a look at my Bacchus website with lots of info & links. The "Stella Blue" website by Steve Cyr is a wealth of MS & Yanmar info and was my inspiration for starting my website to share info.
Also helpful to review the getting started threads in how to use the forum section.
I'm sure you will enjoy your MS as it is a pretty nice boat... but h I ave to admit my MS bias.

Last edited:
New Member Welcome

Thanks Don.

The best couples trawler every for the price! Massive fly bridge and salon and the best example of the 2/4/6 rule. Drinks 6,dines 4, sleeps 2. Just my humble but accurate opinion!

The best couples trawler every for the price! Massive fly bridge and salon and the best example of the 2/4/6 rule. Drinks 6,dines 4, sleeps 2. Just my humble but accurate opinion!
Ours doesn't have a flybridge but the 6-4-2 rule still applies easily.

I usually have something to say about deficiencies, upgrades needed, etc for boats I have owned in the past. But for the MS 34T which I bought one new in late 2005, I have nothing but good stuff to say. Well, come to think of it a few:

The ZF Mathers Microcommander throttle and transmission control has had a lot of ink on these pages. MS issued a technical bulletin that suggested replacing the power relay to it. See the attachment.

Another thing which will take big bucks to fix is the dip in the fiberglass on the sole of the flybridge which puddles after a rain. Just live with it.

But other than these two glitches it is a nearly perfect couples boat.

David

Attachments

• MainshipBulletin06_174_1.pdf
    27.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Welcome. We have a 2006 34 and really enjoy the boat. Minus aforementioned Microcommander. But some boats evidently never have an issue with it. If you made the trip from Carolina Beach without it ever hiccuping then you may have a winner and not need to worry about. PO may have even changed out the relay.

Have fun with your MS 34.

Don

Welcome aboard. Stay in touch with the Marlowe/Mainship sub-forum here.

Raw water strainer baskets on MS 2005 trawler

Bronze units by Marine Hardware. The raw water strainers for both A/C and Kohler Gen are really hard to find. Looks like they measure 1 1/2 “ in diameter by 10”. Both are eaten away. Can anyone tell me where I can get replacements? If you know of a # to contact the MH company I would greatly appreciate it.

Bronze units by Marine Hardware. The raw water strainers for both A/C and Kohler Gen are really hard to find. Looks like they measure 1 1/2 “ in diameter by 10”. Both are eaten away. Can anyone tell me where I can get replacements? If you know of a # to contact the MH company I would greatly appreciate it.

I have recently ordered a new strainer from MH. You can download their catalog. Welcome to Marine Hardware

Not sure what those measurements relate to.
At least on my 2008 34HT the Raw water, AC and Gen strainers are 3/4" (0.75) Marine Hardware. The Main eng cooling is 2" (pipe size)
Look those up in the MH catalog link and compare.
Also lots of good parts info / source available in the Marlow-Mainship section... see parts sticky near the top.

Last edited:

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Cool/Bronze-Sea-Water-Strainer-Parts/

Make sure you check all bowls, especially the main engine one. Both mine and my friends (Mainship 40) were cracked and had slight leaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: bej
Thank you so much

I usually have something to say about deficiencies, upgrades needed, etc for boats I have owned in the past. But for the MS 34T which I bought one new in late 2005, I have nothing but good stuff to say. Well, come to think of it a few:

The ZF Mathers Microcommander throttle and transmission control has had a lot of ink on these pages. MS issued a technical bulletin that suggested replacing the power relay to it. See the attachment.

Another thing which will take big bucks to fix is the dip in the fiberglass on the sole of the flybridge which puddles after a rain. Just live with it.

David
"We expect a bulletin soon from ZF/Mathers regarding a “shut down” possibility and the proper “re-start”
procedures should that occur. ZF/Mathers is working on determining what the root cause is and the resolution to
prevent."
Does anyone have a copy of the actual bulleting from ZF/Mathers mentioned in the 2006 Mainship service bulletin? Thanks

David

Ha ha, change the relays but Mainship didn’t provide a wiring schematic, it was like finding where’s waldo. The two relays ( we have twins) were tucked up high above and to port & stbrd of the main breaker board in the battery compartment. The problem we encountered with the M/C unit was corrosion in the Deutsch connector, recrimping with the Deutsch tool fixed the issue.

Ha ha, change the relays but Mainship didn’t provide a wiring schematic, it was like finding where’s waldo. The two relays ( we have twins) were tucked up high above and to port & stbrd of the main breaker board in the battery compartment. The problem we encountered with the M/C unit was corrosion in the Deutsch connector, recrimping with the Deutsch tool fixed the issue.
"The two relays ( we have twins) were tucked up high above and to port & stbrd of the main breaker board in the battery compartment."

Sorry but I still cannot identify the location of the relays (I also have twins) -- what main breaker board or battery compartment are you referring to? Thanks

Don't know if it is the same on the twins, but on my single-engine 34T there was what I called the 'wiring closet' behind the AC/DC panels in the salon. It could be most easily accessed from the engine room by dropping/removing the fiberglass pan that routed air from the starboard side intake to the ER. Shut off all power, go to the ER, remove 4 screws, drop the pan, and stand up (carefully - there will still be some live wires!) into the closet.

Several relays lived there.

Look here

We have a Pilot 34 but look here for the 34 trawler the relay should be a grey or red plastic coated (if water resistant) or metal solenoid. See the attached photos.

Ed
Claret MS Pilot34

Attachments

• B13D55FD-13BF-4E6B-9322-D1DAA2E4D87C.jpg
    B13D55FD-13BF-4E6B-9322-D1DAA2E4D87C.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 021182AD-5AFC-4B31-A537-63DA6D4B010A.jpg
    021182AD-5AFC-4B31-A537-63DA6D4B010A.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 1F50642F-105D-4322-9F93-CFB0CBB808F4.jpg
    1F50642F-105D-4322-9F93-CFB0CBB808F4.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 7