Would you, if you could???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
This question came up when a recently divorced boater friend (non liveaboard size boat) was complaining about life in an apartment. Its just him, his kids are all grown up and moved out on their own. My first response to him was buy a bigger boat and cruise the world.

It got me thinking, what would I do if I unfortunately found myself in the same situation??? Would I take my own advice?

Here's the scenario.

My friend and I work at a remote oil field in Alaska. Our jobs are rotational. We show up at the Anchorage Alaska airport on our start day, the oil company flies us to the work location, houses and feeds us, then flys us back to the Anchorage airport 14 days later.

We then spend the next 14 days as our "off work" days. We don't go to any office, we don't answer e-mails, we're off work. Then we show up in Anchorage and the cycle starts again.

So, if you worked a schedule like that and found yourself single again, would you get in your boat, set sail and cruise the world? Would you become a liveaboard at a harbor? What would you do?

You have it easier than I did! We used to work 28 and 14 and fly in and out of Dead Horse and Camp Lonely. That was back in the '70s. I was not married at the time and would use Anchorage as a base to travel to various corners during my two weeks off. Wasn't really into boats at the time but if I was I would have lived aboard for sure.

Last edited:
That schedule does lend itself to cruising. Marina liveaboard kinda goes without saying, yes.

Interesting subject though my wife and I discussed the possibility of purchasing a boat to move aboard next summer. Our middle son leaves the nest then and our youngest is 6 years behind him. Commuting to work would be a piece of cake. We pretty much decided to hold off the 6 years until our youngest leaves the nest then it will be pretty much game on.

We have began purposely downsizing our possessions in anticipation of it. If for some reason I wound up single (incredibly unlikely) that 6 year plan would accelerate considerably.

You have it easier than I did! We used to work 28 and 14 and fly in and out of Dead Horse and Camp Lonely. That was back in the '70s. I was not married at the time and would use Anchorage as a base to travel to various corners during my two weeks off. Wasn't really into boats at the time but if I was I would have lived aboard for sure.

wow, I haven't heard of camp lonely except in slope fables.

You would not recognize the place today. First class camps with in room heads, good food, internet, cell coverage, nice TV's in every room. BTW, they're just tearing down sleepy bear camp if you remember that one. (its been vacant for a long time though)

Your thread, and you keep talking about camps, so... I also work in the oilpatch week in/week out at a camp in Alberta.

If I were in the same situation, I would certainly consider living aboard and work on the boat on the week off and plan my voyages in my camp room at night. It would likely be a sailboat or a motorsailer though.

Hell, my schedule is 3 months in Afghanistan then 3 months home. No work at home at all, NADA. If I need another month at home or at work I am able to do that also. My wife is quitting her job when I get back in Dec. and we are gone for a month to the Keys. I have been planning this for years so now with my schedule I have six months a year to cruise on the boat, travel in general and the finances to enjoy it! The only PITA is I own 2 homes in Florida that I could not give away. If I could find a renter for the one I live in now, I could free up my military retirement and really have fun.

single, 20's, Coast Guard pilot ...lived on a boat in Ft Lauderdale 3 years...got engaged sold the 30 foot sailboat.

got divorced, bought the 37' sportfish (diesel was cheap back then), lived for 2 years on it in downtown Annapolis while I was stationed in DC.

got married, kept the boat 5 years as a getaway, started working on the water full time/delivery captain for free cruises.... traded boat for new truck/5th wheel.

got divorced bought current trawler...friends say I have better luck with boats than women so they will kill me if I get married again.:eek:

Anyway..it REALLY depends...I think there's a big difference in livng aboard a boat and cruising...you have to have the time. Two weeks off gives you some time but when it's dependent too much on weather...it can frustrate you too. So I think it's still conditional...but if you love it (and many that like boating still don't like living aboard)...then do it...changing back and forth isn't prohibitively expensive unless you are buying the wrong boats to begin with.

Two weeks on/off, I think would be hard. How do you move a car around? Leaving the boat then having to get back to an airport presents it's own issues from new areas. I say find a friendly marina within a nice size area he's comfortable with. It will be easy to meet others, he's single right? :socool: Then he can go cruising locally on his time off. Find the right partner, quit the job then set sail and cruise the world!

Heck with that. I'd quit my job and be gone. I'd have the longest beard, shirtless, shoeless, and possibly not own a pair of shoes!

Would love to be able to do that.

Heck with that. I'd quit my job and be gone. I'd have the longest beard, shirtless, shoeless, and possibly not own a pair of shoes!

That was my thoughts exactly!

Don't get me wrong, I love my wife, and I even love my land based life. That said I dream of something more.

But, if I were in his shoes, or if I ever get thrust into his shoes by the fates of life, I'd take off tomorrow.

It would be easy. Get off work and fly to wherever the boat is. Cruise to the next harbor, taking your time, and enjoying a life of no complications. Two weeks later, hop on a jet and fly back to work.

You could easily explore America that way. 25 two week cruises and one 6 week cruise a year.(you get paid vacation). You would make friends in the cruising community. There are lots of "loopers" and liveaboard cruisers doing it in retirement.

Here's interesting observation...

I posted this question both here and at the Bayliner Owners Club. I guess it is predictable that here on TF there is a larger sense of adventure, being larger boats and trawlers. A am a bit suprised because I would have thought that every boater dreams of being able to cruise as a lifestyle. I know I do.

Last edited:
I think there's a big difference in livng aboard a boat and cruising...you have to have the time

And for long term cruising a sail boat or if you can find one a motorsailor is probably better than a power boat.

Better fuel economy while motoring and passagemaking under sail is possible .

For a cruise that lasts a while your chances of foul weather increase , and most production sailboats can take far more heavy weather than most production :trawlers".

If I suddenly found myself solo there is no doubt I'd hit the road traveling by water but I pray that I never end up solo b/c that means I'm not with my wife and the kids!
I dream more about taking off WITH my wife and the kids. I stumbled on this website a few years ago and still love it. Mom and dad, kids, suburban life...mom diagnosed with cancer, no sailing experience, they decide to sell it all, buy a sailboat, cruise the world. Amazing story of love and humanity. Sadly the mom subsequently passed away but what a glorious gift with her children and husband. Here is their website:
Northern Magic
and I love this part:
Lessons Learned

As I look at the ownership costs of the properties I own, the private school the kids are in, the marina slip fees, business overhead, etc. etc. I often wonder, what the heck, cash out, add it to the nest egg, live on the interest and live life out of the box. Not sure my wife and the kids think sailing around the world sounds as fun as I do just yet but I am working on them. :) When I look at sites like Northern Magic...to me that is truly living.

We could and we did become a live a board and we use to move the boat around the Puget Sound during the summer.

He could certainly become a live aboard, and move the boat around from place to place.

My wife is already retired and I am planning to retire 2014, at which time we are going to liquidate, sell/get rid of everything except the Eagle, RV and run about. Spend 3 to 4 of the summer month on the Eagle moving it around Puget Sound and further north. My wife has migraines so we need to be close to medical treatment, we don’t cook so have to be close to restaurant/prepared food, and I am a shopaholic so need to be close to stores/malls. :facepalm::D

There is a TV commercial touting the Alaskan life style.

Kinda like this

Q
What do you do for a living ?

A
I live !

KSanders

I work in the oilfield in Venezuela and to be able to build my boat I am on a 6 x 3 (6 weeks on by three off) schedulle. Next year, when my boat hits the water, I will move to 4 x 4 which is the same even time that you have now in Alaska.
Yes dude, I'll be living in the boat until I retire in November of 2014. No mistery on that. Like NIKE says, JUST DO IT!

Kasanders,
Sounds like your work could be at least a partial explanation to your presence on TF.
I would never live on a boat. I like my stuff too much and Chris was a professional gardener so we'll stick to da dirt.
I had a week on week off job in Juneau in the 70s and thought I'd do a lot of cruising on my week off ...... didn't work out that way.

Kasanders,
Sounds like your work could be at least a partial explanation to your presence on TF.
I would never live on a boat. I like my stuff too much and Chris was a professional gardener so we'll stick to da dirt.
I had a week on week off job in Juneau in the 70s and thought I'd do a lot of cruising on my week off ...... didn't work out that way.

My work gives me a fair wage, health care, etc..., and over 1/2 the year off.

I'm like to think I'm semi retired. :)

On our way home from football practice tonight my 10 year old son and I got to talking about selling our power boats, renting the house out, buying a 50' sailboat, and heading to southern latitudes. If I don't get to do this in this life I suspect my son just may and as a parent, that is a better thought than even being able to do it myself. :)

Ken- if your 1/2 a year job making $500k is hiring please submit my name. I am willing to relocate. I can make that in commercial real estate but darned if it is not steady! :)

Greetings,
Mr. Woodsong. " If I don't get to do this in this life I suspect my son just may and as a parent, that is a better thought than even being able to do it myself."
Bullfeathers!!!!! Best would be doing it WITH your son

Ken- if your 1/2 a year job making $500k is hiring please submit my name. I am willing to relocate. I can make that in commercial real estate but darned if it is not steady! :)

Thats too funny! I wish!

The oil patch pays well, but not that well. The great thing is the time off!

FF- I agree- best to do it WITH my son/family! 2nd best is instilling a love of the water in my children.

Kevin- what's this? There goes my image of you as a high roller and friend of Trump himself! ;)

haha- sorry about that RT- all old people look the same to me!
:blush::angel::blush:
SOOOO just kidding my friend- meant in jest for sure!
:rofl::D:rofl:

Sorry about that- was posting in a rush and not reading everything. :hide:

Greetings,

ernie.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom