Weird wormhole looking prints on keel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saintglenn

Veteran Member
Anyone ever come across weird stuff under their gelcoats? Maybe air from the
Molds for the keels? Maybe trawler worms??

You mean something like this?

Attachments

• DSC_0605.jpg
    DSC_0605.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 82
Anyone ever come across weird stuff under their gelcoats? Maybe air from the
Molds for the keels? Maybe trawler worms??

any pictures? just ground the bottom off my boat this past winter..saw lot's of different things...

I am worried its polyestermites!!

Attachments

• image-914254776.jpg
    image-914254776.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1206604781.jpg
    image-1206604781.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 81
Looks like something is laminating to me.

Just guessing. Never seen that before.

SD

Its the invasion from Inner Space! Sort of like Independence Day, but from the other direction.

got me...really... the only time I have seen patterns like that is when some sort of plastic/release paper has been used over a repair...as in vacuum bagging and wrinkles have formed.

I have had some hull lay-up and fiberglass experience back in my hands on days. I recall calling those alligators (any rough gnarly thing in FL gets that moniker). Basically what happens is when a hull or other glass part is being made in a mold the gelcoat is sprayed in first. If it is soft or the resin layed in over top of it doesn't harden fast enough it causes the gelcoat to crinkle up leaving the pattern you see on your hull. Subsequent structural laminates are laid in thicker layers and usually build up enough heat to make everything cure. Sometimes these brain like areas will have resin visible in the valleys that has seeped through the gelcoat or from the gelcoat itself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom