Canadian boat entering US waters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This morning a Canadian (Quebec) flagged boat sailed into Gloucester flying a quarantine flag. I was under the impression that such border crossings were still prohibited. Thoughts?

This morning a Canadian (Quebec) flagged boat sailed into Gloucester flying a quarantine flag. I was under the impression that such border crossings were still prohibited. Thoughts?

Crossing for pleasure is prohibited, but I've seen a few boats come / go across the border up here with paid crews after the boat was sold to someone on the other side. If it's a business transaction, the boat can cross with no issues.

Crossing for pleasure is prohibited, but I've seen a few boats come / go across the border up here with paid crews after the boat was sold to someone on the other side. If it's a business transaction, the boat can cross with no issues.

Good point. Perhaps that's it. Gloucester is an unusual port of entry coming from Canada, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a quarantine flag flown here until now.

Good point. Perhaps that's it. Gloucester is an unusual port of entry coming from Canada, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a quarantine flag flown here until now.

That might make it more likely to be new boat day for someone. I've seen it done as both the crew taking the boat to the closest port on the other side and then the new owners picking it up as well as the crew taking it all the way to destination.

It is an unusual port of entry. Weather OK? Could be a delivery between NS and MA I suppose. I cleared customs in Gloucester many years ago when running low on fuel delivering a sailboat from Halifax to Marblehead, and I know others who have taken refuge from bad weather there after going across the Gulf of Maine. You're not that far off a somewhat common route between the countries.

The flag is less important than crew nationality. Many Canadian and US flagged vessels come to US in WA waters for delivery by Canadian crew. Essential is the key word.

I wonder if there is a shortage of quarantine flags now?

To this point, the key to most crossings is a paid crew and the owner can't be aboard. There is actually a great new business of captains and crew making these runs. One person who works helping in the Welland Canal area observed last year he could only find two captains who would meet boats in Youngstown and bring boats through and they charged $900 for crew of three. Now there are at least 10 captains running those trips and charges as high as $2500.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom