Buying bolts without getting screwed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
I buy my share of exotic bolts in my business life, but always in bulk. Fastenal does a great job as do other vendors and I can always find what I need. Far more difficult when trying to buy 2 or 4 bolts in 316 stainless steel with specific head types and thread lengths. Same problem with 316 washers and nuts. West Marine sells the proverbial $20 nut and Fastenal mostly sells bulk. Where do you guys go for small quantities of specific fasteners?

X2 McMaster Carr. Quality fasteners in the material you need.

I buy a lot from McMaster Carr. Definitely a reliable and quality vendor, but small quantities mean 25 or so. Hadn't found Bolt Depot. Looks like they cater to what I'm after. Thanks AK.

Fastenal. They have brick/mortar stores in most mid/large markets.

We have a Fastenal store here, but I go to a local place down on Frankford Street called Fastener Service where Richard, the clerk recognizes me from many years of custom. He just gives me the singletons I come in looking for and shoos me out the door. I give him a bit extra cash whenever I am in there looking for a small box of 316 washers etc. BUY LOCAL.

I have used Fastenal a lot and boltdepot some. Both have given good service.

I use this place. Small quantities are fine and they ship quick.

https://www.boltdepot.com/

My go-to as well. I've used Fastenal too, but sometimes they don't have something in stock and have to order. If I have to order anyway, might as well use Boltdepot and ship right to the house or marina. One thing I really like about Boltdepot is they list 304 and 316 SS separately so you can order whichever you want. Most hardware stores and West Marine just say "Stainless" so you don't know which alloy you're getting. Sometimes it makes a difference. They have silicon bronze and hot dip galvanized too which can be real difficult to find locally.

I buy local as well with Barbour Marine in Beaufort NC. I ran into an independent sales rep last week who indicated his wholesale pricing was increasing over 100% on last shipment. He reps for Taiwan fasteners and indicated they manufactured up to 80% of SS fasteners used in the USA. Based on this news West Marines old pricing may be a bargain moving moving forward. Perish the thought.

Steelydon

Won't help much for your area, but Tacoma Screw Products. Several stores around Puget Sound and still has a knowledgeable staff. The Ballard store used to have an old-timer that really, really knew his stuff (like many hardware stores used to have). Helped me find an odd size thread pitch by telling me that they didn't have it but it had been used on a British Enfield motorcycle and to search British sites. Amazing. Also have bought single tiny bolts to repair foreign vintage saxophones.

The hardware store on the NE end of the Ballard bridge. Although Fisherman's Terminal is now almost empty of commercial fishing boats, this store still carries a fairly good selection of bronze and SS fasteners. Half or less of West Marine prices.

In waterfront towns I have often found an excellent selection of stainless at a local hardware store. Stoneway Hardware in Ballard is excellent, as it the True Value in Gloucester.

Fastenal I have found to be expensive and limited in selection, but maybe that's just the local store.

I have bought a lot from Bolt Depot in the past with good results. Backup to them is McMaster.

For one ofs I buy at the local store. The unit price is higher but I don't pay twice the item cost in Freight to get it to me.

Generally I buy a lot online and if I need 6 I'll buy 20: the marginal cost, freight inclusive, is negligible; the unit cost becomes cheaper; and when I need more, they are there.

Fisheries supply is my go-to. Nice 316 stainless screws. Good price 1\4 of hardware store.

Hardware Sales in downtown Bellingham has a great supply of SS, brass and anodized bolts, nuts and washers. My go to store for many parts. Much cheaper pricing then West Marine and LFS. I have used Bolt Depot and had good service there too.

Tacoma Screw

In the Puget Sound area.

I also use https://www.boltdepot.com/
I've bought really big bolts, 24", and lags for dock work and lots of small stuff.
They have 316 for lag bolts and other fasteners.
Also galvanized, etc.
They ship quick.

Fastener Warehouse

Fastener Warehouse has decent pricing. They stock far more than on their site so at times a phone call may be necessary. Small father son type business with vast inventory. In business for many years. Located in Portsmouth, NH

https://www.fastener-warehouse.com

Back
Top Bottom