View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 07:44 PM   #18
boomerang
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Here's our poor girl on the hard. She's in desperate need of a good hull washing. I bought a buffer so maybe it'll make the hull shine one more time. The gelcoat is wearing thin but I'm not in a hull painting mode this year.
The shaft was a SOB to slide back this time. I've slid it back in the past with no issues but this time it didn't want to budge. I loosened the packing gland and removed the set screws from the carrier bearing and then sprayed everything liberally with PB blaster. After emery-clothing the shaft ahead of the bearing I could pry it back a few inches by sticking a screwdriver and then pry bar between the shaft couplings but I wasn't too keen on wedging the shaft back via the couplings. I'm not sure whats going on with it. It must be in the bearing.
A big reason we bought the boat in the first place was the shaft, cutlass bearing & housing ,carrier bearing and stuffing box was all rebuilt just prior to us buying it. Everything still looks about as good as it did when we got it.
I thought removing the doors was going to be a piece of cake because when we rebuilt the flybridge floor several years ago, we also rebuilt the salon door threshold. I removed the doors & frame, rebuilt the threshold under the frame and reinstalled the frame. It admittedly was a little tight because I got too rambunctious with the crown in the cockpit and the center is a little high, but the doors went back in without too much problem. Well this time ,they absolutely would not come out of the frame without me jacking the roof up with a bottle jack. It must be the way the boat is blocked but I can't say I'm looking forward to reinstalling them. That ordeal put me behind a few hours and by the time I was done, I was too hot & tired to tackle the engine removal, so now that's been put off until Monday.I can't seem to ever get ahead of schedule but oh well...at least we're moving in the right direction.
Attached Thumbnails
102_0146.jpg   102_0150.jpg   102_0152.jpg   102_0153.jpg