Did Mainships ever come standard with A Johnson/Towers Engine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BOBG

Im looking at purchasing a 1987 34' Mainship. Most Mainships had the Perkins 165. The Mainship I'm looking at later has a Johnson/Towers (Detroit) diesel. Are these good engines-Im not familiar at all with these-and reluctant. Thanks!

Im looking at purchasing a 1987 34' Mainship. Most Mainships had the Perkins 165. The Mainship I'm looking at later has a Johnson/Towers (Detroit) diesel. Are these good engines-Im not familiar at all with these-and reluctant. Thanks!

This says it all about the double D: https://everythingaboutboats.org/detroit-diesel-8-2/

We passed on it due to double D engine without even seeing it, since we are not interested in re-powering at any point of ownership.

I don't know if it was standard, but it was used in later years in some of the 34s. That's an 8.2l four stroke.

Those are just commonly called Detroit diesel’s. You need to have them checked out seriously

Yes, it was a factory engine choice in the later years. They are 4 cycle engines, unlike the more common detroits. Have it checked thoroughly because parts are probably scarce. I know that manifolds are readily available, i was researching for a boat this spring with a pair. They were poorly suited to sportfish applications, run hard to plane heavy boats, the heat bolts stretched and head gaskets failed. The ones in displacement and semi displacement boats faired far better.

Yes, we had a DD 8.2T (J&T) 4-stroke in our '87 Mainship 34 Mk III. 220 HP, I think.

We had no trouble with it, and I'd buy again. There was a recall at one point, bigger bolts on the exhaust manifolds IIRC. Other than that, no problems.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom